Embarkation at Vancouver Canada Place

tjcletzgo

We’ll be sailing from Canada Place in September. I’m reading horror stories about what a mess that port it. Any input how to get a smooth embarkation? We’ll be the only ship in port🛳️🛳️🛳️

Just now, tjcletzgo said:

We’ll be sailing from Canada Place in September. I’m reading horror stories about what a mess that port it. Any input how to get a smooth embarkation? We’ll be the only ship in port🛳️🛳️🛳️

We just boarded in Vancouver about 10 days ago. We had a meal on shore and went to check in around 2:00. Very short line check in and customs took no more than 30 minutes. We have found that boarding later avoids all the crazy crowds who just have to be the first group on board

I stayed at Canada Place last October the day before my cruise. A bit pricey but a nice stay. They will also pick up your bag and take it to the bag drop off. I would stay there again.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, nasa1974 said:

I stayed at Canada Place last October the day before my cruise. A bit pricey but a nice stay. They will also pick up your bag and take it to the bag drop off. I would stay there again.

@nasa1974What is the approx cost of that service? Tip? 

Ive cruised from Vancouver multiple times.  I like to check in early.  Their busiest time when multiple ships are in port is 12 - 2pm.  With only 1 ship in, it shouldn't be too bad.  

1 hour ago, Coral said:

If you stay at Pan Pacific - for a $10-$15 tip or so, they will take your bags to the ship for you.

But the room is close to $1000

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

Though for a reasonable tip - they do take the bags to the ship for you! 🙂

I paid $300 last year.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

I remember in 2010 spending $400/night to stay at Fairmont Pacific Rim. I couldn't believe how much I spent there but it was an amazing hotel. Probably nicest hotel I have ever stayed at at the time (and probably still).

Just now, wolfie11 said:

It depends on the time of year. If you are traveling during the Alaskan season it will be very high. April not so bad

We stayed at the Fairmont Pacific Rim last August on the Princess hotel deal which also included a taxi transport in form the airport.  If I remember correctly, it was $289 per person for the room. The hotel was very nice and I would definitely stay there again.  It was right across the street from the cruise terminal.  Transfer of the luggage to the pier was included but we did tip the porter that picked them up.  As previously noted, boarding can be either good or bad.  We had to pick up our medallions and that process alone took close to an hour.  Never again will I do that, I will pay to have them shipped to my home.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TM said:

We stayed at the Fairmont Pacific Rim last August on the Princess hotel deal which also included a taxi transport in form the airport.  If I remember correctly, it was $289 per person for the room. The hotel was very nice and I would definitely stay there again.  It was right across the street from the cruise terminal.  Transfer of the luggage to the pier was included but we did tip the porter that picked them up.  As previously noted, boarding can be either good or bad.  We had to pick up our medallions and that process alone took close to an hour.  Never again will I do that, I will pay to have them shipped to my home.

It is a very nice hotel. Probably one of the best in Vancouver. 

I picked up my medallion at the pier last year. It took probably 1 minute. Goes to show how different experiences can be.

Just now, TM said:

Now that Canadians can have medallions shipped the blue land should be much shorter

I stayed at the Pan Pacific for less than $1000 in September 2022.  I think it was even less than $400.  It's the Canadian fees that are outrageous.  

There is a fee (not suggested tipping) for the bell desk to come to your room, pick up your luggage, walk it to the ship, and "watch" that it gets loaded on to your ship.

Then you can skip the first step (drop off your luggage and go upstairs).  The Grand was the only ship in port.  We were seated in the first couple of rows by 10:30.  Boarded shortly after 11.  

It was all part of the "experience".  The Pan Pacific is the perfect place to do a pre-cruise stay.

Disclaimer:  A friend of mine is leaving out of Vancouver in September 2024.  Three ships in port.  No room at the "inn".  That's A LOT of passengers coming and going.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

@nasa1974What is the approx cost of that service? Tip? 

Honestly, I don't remember. I did give the employee some money when he took my bag. I know I got some of my questions answered here. 

Canada (Alaska/Pacific Coastal) Cruises Q&A: Find Tips & Recommendations - Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

My room was $372 American when I booked it for October of 2023. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I stayed at the Pan Pacific for less than $1000 in September 2022.  I think it was even less than $400.  It's the Canadian fees that are outrageous.  

There is a fee (not suggested tipping) for the bell desk to come to your room, pick up your luggage, walk it to the ship, and "watch" that it gets loaded on to your ship.

Then you can skip the first step (drop off your luggage and go upstairs).  The Grand was the only ship in port.  We were seated in the first couple of rows by 10:30.  Boarded shortly after 11.  

It was all part of the "experience".  The Pan Pacific is the perfect place to do a pre-cruise stay.

Disclaimer:  A friend of mine is leaving out of Vancouver in September 2024.  Three ships in port.  No room at the "inn".  That's A LOT of passengers coming and going.

The fees are more related to that particular 5 star hotel than being “Canadian” fees. 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

We are staying there on June 14th and the room is $445. US. We booked via Booking.com...that includes all fees.

If you check often, the price changes quite a bit - book early and it is no where near $1000.

Edited by eclue
more information
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, memoak said:

We just boarded in Vancouver about 10 days ago. We had a meal on shore and went to check in around 2:00. Very short line check in and customs took no more than 30 minutes. We have found that boarding later avoids all the crazy crowds who just have to be the first group on board

Maybe they have improved the process since last year.  We waited over an HOUR just for US Customs, plus all the time for every other step of boarding.  I think it was about 1.5 hours total from when we arrived until we set foot on the ship.  This was on HAL, but both ships in port were going through the same customs line, so it didn't really matter what cruise line we were on.  People told us that they were working on improvements for the process in Vancouver, so it sounds like it is better this year.

17 hours ago, disgirl said:

Ive cruised from Vancouver multiple times.  I like to check in early.  Their busiest time when multiple ships are in port is 12 - 2pm.  With only 1 ship in, it shouldn't be too bad.  

How crowded is it with 2 ships.

2 hours ago, davy jones said:

How crowded is it with 2 ships.

Peak time  is 12 to 2pm.  Each line has their own hall upstairs for check in.  It will be busy downstairs w 2 as there is only the 1 security and customs area.  At least the US customs is the kiosk now so tends to be quick.  Once through those, follow the signs for your ship.

Just now, disgirl said:

Peak time  is 12 to 2pm.  Each line has their own hall upstairs for check in.  It will be busy downstairs w 2 as there is only the 1 security and customs area.  At least the US customs is the kiosk now so tends to be quick.  Once through those, follow the signs for your ship.

With one ship in port earlier this month check in was downstairs and there were no customs kiosks you saw an actual officer. We checked in just before 2 I believe and total check in time was about 15 minutes