Specialty Dining Time Lunch Day 1

My family is sailing on Harmony out of Galveston in June. I was looking at booking Jaime's for lunch when we board. Our check in time is 11am. We get a very slight boarding group (gold) advantage. What time is feasible to make the reservation for? This group is 2 adults and 2 teens, so no small children to wrangle to get to Central Park but we have also never been on this class of ship. I was looking at 12:00 or 12:15 but am worried boarding might take longer and how long the walk will be. We also generally stop at the muster on the way onboard but we could also do it after lunch.

I had been looking at getting the Key for us but the price has stayed high. Does it ever drop in price closer to cruise or should I just give up looking for a price drop?

Posted (edited)

When you do your check in you will know what time you will checkin.  Gold status doesn't mean anything for checkin or boarding at the port unless you're referring to a suite or Pinnacle when you say "gold", but even then, it's dependent on when you arrive.  Once boarding starts, it usually doesn't make any difference.   We always book 1230 for boarding day lunch, but we also always get an early boarding time.  The one exception was a couple of weeks ago boarding Vision in Norfolk.  We had a 1230 reservation at Chops but didn't get onboard until 130. Boarding that day didn't even start until 1 due to some issues getting everyone off due to tides.  They took us right in.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

We did the online check in and our check in time is at 11am. I was curious how fast we might get onboard. I know each port varies on how fast the line moves and we haven't been to Galveston's new terminal. Last cruise in the old terminal the check in took 15 minutes and we went straight up the ramp to board, so maybe 30 minutes to get to the muster station but that was Liberty. Normally we don't pay for specialty dining but summer cruise, so I am guessing packed for the included venues and we will want to relax once onboard until the rooms open.

Posted (edited)

If check-in is 11am, I would show up at 10:30am and get in line.  If they question anything let them know your 11am check-in time AND that you have a lunch reservation for 12pm.  You should be perfectly fine, and even if you are a little late to Jamie's you'll be fine as well.

...and my opinion of the key is that it's a total waste of money.  I wouldn't recommend it at all.

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

If check-in is 11am, I would show up at 10:30am and get in line.  If they question anything let them know your 11am check-in time AND that you have a lunch reservation for 12pm.  You should be perfectly fine, and even if you are a little late to Jamie's you'll be fine as well.

...and my opinion of the key is that it's a total waste of money.  I wouldn't recommend it at all.

In order for us to get the Key on this sailing it would have to be close in price to internet. I wanted it for the internet and benefit of lunch on day 1 and breakfast on the last day. The price has not dropped close to that, so it doesn't seem worth it for us. All of the other extras provided by the Key are nice but not important to us. We can definitely skip the key but if it drops significantly, we would consider it. Right now we have a 2 device package to share for internet and it should be fine though internet for all 4 would be convenient.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scubaslayer said:

My family is sailing on Harmony out of Galveston in June. I was looking at booking Jaime's for lunch when we board. Our check in time is 11am. We get a very slight boarding group (gold) advantage. What time is feasible to make the reservation for? This group is 2 adults and 2 teens, so no small children to wrangle to get to Central Park but we have also never been on this class of ship. I was looking at 12:00 or 12:15 but am worried boarding might take longer and how long the walk will be. We also generally stop at the muster on the way onboard but we could also do it after lunch.

I had been looking at getting the Key for us but the price has stayed high. Does it ever drop in price closer to cruise or should I just give up looking for a price drop?

You can check in earlier than the 11am as they no longer check the time assigned.  A 12 or 12:15 lunch time is absolutely achievable.  However, why don’t you pre/book the desired times via the cruise planner. 

I pre-booked Jamie’s on Anthem for  a party of 8 with some children involved and not a problem in making the 12:15 pm reservations. 

• Like 1

If you book about 12:30 you will be fine, as long as there are no ship-wide boarding delays.  If there are, staff will know and accommodate. If you are cutting it close, do the muser after lunch.

Keep your eye on Key prices and if you get can it, simply cancel lunch.  Just be aware that everyone in your cabin ( 2 adults/2 teens) will have to purchase the key. 

M

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, nelblu said:

You can check in earlier than the 11am as they no longer check the time assigned.  A 12 or 12:15 lunch time is absolutely achievable.  However, why don’t you pre/book the desired times via the cruise planner. 

I pre-booked Jamie’s on Anthem for  a party of 8 with some children involved and not a problem in making the 12:15 pm reservations. 

This is what I am doing. I just wasn't sure what time is safe for being able to get to the reservation. The one time I went through Miami (years and years ago when Navigator was new) it took hours after we checked in before we were allowed to board. I just don't want to make a reservation that we are likely to miss and lose the money paid.

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

I sailed on Harmony this past December and once you go thru security and check-in you are on you way to boarding the ship.  They no longer hold you in the pen and board you by C&A status.🤣

• Like 1

Well it might not be a worry anyway. The website and app both won't let me put it in the cart and check out. It is only being glitchy with this one thing, so I am thinking it might be booked or they reached the limit for the deal. I will try again in a bit but honestly the price today is only a dollar or two cheaper than it has been.

13 minutes ago, scubaslayer said:

Well it might not be a worry anyway. The website and app both won't let me put it in the cart and check out. It is only being glitchy with this one thing, so I am thinking it might be booked or they reached the limit for the deal. I will try again in a bit but honestly the price today is only a dollar or two cheaper than it has been.

When I booked the Jamie's lunch on Anthem it was last year on Pasta Day and got it for $14.99 per adult and 9.99 for a child.  Couldn't pass up on the deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubaslayer said:

App and website have been very glitchy.   

• Like 1

We were on the Explorer of the Seas three weeks ago.  I had booked 1:00; however, we actually boarded earlier than anticipated ( 11:00 ). As we were getting the feel of the ship, we came by Chops. I was pretty hungry. They only had two tables full and happily changed our reservation to right then.  Never hurts to ask.  

• Like 1