And another question (sorry). Babies...pools, what could go wrong?

amurray88

5 hours ago, amurray88 said:

Thank you - this is kind of what I meant by rules v acceptance. 

If on a website there is a rule of no babies in pools, then you see the captain and crew coming out with their babies and putting them into the pools then it kind of tells you that although it's written on a website, it's next to worthless.

Myself and a couple others that noticed were appalled.  Normally I would have pointed it out to the pool attendant but he also knew who the perpetrators were and wouldn't (didn't) intervene.

Unfortunately I've seen it before and it's one reason I rarely use any ship's pools or hot tubs.  Sorry, but it's a ridiculously inconsiderate thing to contemplate. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Até said:

Myself and a couple others that noticed were appalled.  Normally I would have pointed it out to the pool attendant but he also knew who the perpetrators were and wouldn't (didn't) intervene.

Unfortunately I've seen it before and it's one reason I rarely use any ship's pools or hot tubs.  Sorry, but it's a ridiculously inconsiderate thing to contemplate. 

I think your feelings are misplaced. We have been on one cruise with a baby, where he was allowed in the same pool as everyone else and no-one.... No-one had an issue with it.

I didn't say I was doing it - I was simply asking.

23 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

I think your feelings are misplaced. We have been on one cruise with a baby, where he was allowed in the same pool as everyone else and no-one.... No-one had an issue with it.

I didn't say I was doing it - I was simply asking.

Have you considered taking a small blow up baby paddling/splash pool . You could check with the pool deck attendants where best to place it on the deck for emptying,  there are plenty of grids/ washaways . 

I have seen that tip for others with little ones .

It also comes in handy in the cabin for giving baby a bath when you only have a shower available . 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, amurray88 said:

Ships that allow diapers have a different sanitization setup than ships that don't allow diapers. It isn't simply a rule that cruise lines can go any way that they want with. 

If you are on a ship that allows diapers in that area, go right ahead. 

If you are on a ship that doesn't allow diapers in that area, don't put the diapers in that area. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, heatherb1958 said:

Have you considered taking a small blow up baby paddling/splash pool . You could check with the pool deck attendants where best to place it on the deck for emptying,  there are plenty of grids/ washaways . 

It also comes in handy in the cabin for giving baby a bath when you only have a shower available . 

Good thinking Heather. The beauty of going from Southampton is we're not really restricted with luggage. The purpose of the thread was really because I thought the baby splash zones were like the grid/washaways you mention where the water doesn't hang around. Judging by the responses I presume I'm wrong 🫣.

Great thinking, thanks

• Like 1

17 hours ago, heatherb1958 said:

Many cruise lines now have any type of blow up pool (including small bath tub size) on the prohibited list.

Check with MSC before bringing one.

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

Many cruise lines now have any type of blow up pool (including small bath tub size) on the prohibited list.

Check with MSC before bringing one.

Really ? Never ever seen that , for what reason do you know ? 

Well the solution to that problem is a collapsible bucket , babies just want to splash , doesn't matter if they are fully submerged or not. A bucket full of water and some toys they are happy. 

1 hour ago, heatherb1958 said:

Well the solution to that problem is a collapsible bucket , babies just want to splash , doesn't matter if they are fully submerged or not. A bucket full of water and some toys they are happy. 

Read the prohibited (do not bring) lists available on cruise line websites. You will find it. (Carnival is an example).

Several reasons for the prohibition - limited public deck space and an obstacle for others on the deck; the health hazard of dumping contaminated water in deck showers stalls, drains or the gutters (including the flooding of deck gutters off private balconies causing overflow on balconies below and next to the dump site).

16 hours ago, heatherb1958 said:

100% Heather ☺️ we'll find a quiet spot and pop it up. He loves the water and splashing about 💦

• Like 1