Packing help for European summer cruise

If anyone has any suggestions, tips or links to helpful articles and packing list for a European land/cruise vacation I would be super appreciative. We will be spending a week in Italy and then a week on a cruise to Italy and Greece. I will be traveling with a 12 and 14 year old and my husband. We would love it if we can fit everything in a carry on suitcase because we are switching cities/hotels 3 times during our week in Italy. It will be in August so I’m sure it will be super hot. We do have access to a washer and dryer at the end of our land portion. I want to start buying what we need but I am super overwhelmed and I don’t know what that is. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!

My only comment is that if you are visiting churches during your travels, you will need to cover your knees and shoulders. I can be a scarf you pull out (for men and women) and wrap around. Others may be more helpful. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, pepele said:

If anyone has any suggestions, tips or links to helpful articles and packing list for a European land/cruise vacation I would be super appreciative. We will be spending a week in Italy and then a week on a cruise to Italy and Greece. I will be traveling with a 12 and 14 year old and my husband. We would love it if we can fit everything in a carry on suitcase because we are switching cities/hotels 3 times during our week in Italy. It will be in August so I’m sure it will be super hot. We do have access to a washer and dryer at the end of our land portion. I want to start buying what we need but I am super overwhelmed and I don’t know what that is. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!

We pack on the light side and take the same amount of clothes for a 5 night cruise  or a 15 night with a few days of pre cruise sightseeing.   On embarkation day we do the laundry bag supplied by the ship and give it the cabin steward. We make use of the dry cleaning offered by the ship, it is about the same as dry cleaning at home.  Most things come back the next day.  The bag in the cabin holds a lot of stuff. A few dollars for cleaning is far better than over packing.  If you have never used the fill to the brim laundry bag just be aware it seems as though they steam clean at 1000 degrees...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Check all your electronics you plan on taking and making sure they are 100v-240v.  If they are this range then consider taking a couple of adapters for 100v to 220v.  You will not need a transformer if you can use the adapter if your item is 110v-240v.  You probably will not find a 110v outlet in most European hotels.  Cruise ships generally have a 110v outlet.  There are adapters that have USB outlets to plug in iphones, etc.

Check with your cell service to see what plans they have for talk/data in Europe.  Make sure your cells have the WiFi Calling turned on before you leave the US. With the cell in airplane mode anywhere in the world that you have WiFi you can use WiFi Calling as if you were at home.  No extra cost except for the WiFi, fi not free, and a lot of places have it for free.  Even some cities provide it as a free service throughout the town.

If you want a map program I recommend Organic Maps.  Its a free app and the maps and usage are free.  Download the maps where you have WiFi, like at home, of all the maps and locations you will be at.  You can use the maps and app without cell service or WiFi.  Just download the maps via WiFi before you leave, or at a WiFi service in Europe.  You can mark spots like your hotel, attractions, and such where it then can be used to guide you there, like from point A to B.  If you download maps where you are paying for data it can be expensive.

If you plan on using public transit systems or going to any attractions anywhere download their app prior to leaving the US and create an account.  You can check routes and cost and even buy tickets for the family.  Sometimes at a reduced cost and skip lines. Great for major attractions.

DDawg

Edited by DeputyDawg46
  • Like 2

The last two summers across here in europe esp the med have been very hot. Check the weather forecast leading up to your cruise, normally the 14 day forecast is pretty accurate. 

Remember you are in Europe we walk almost everywhere in our cities, the cities are old and therefore the pavements or sometimes esp in greece and parts of italy are cobble stones, dirt tracks or gravel, so wear comfortable shoes, id go with trainers ( sneekers).

Remember to bring hats as well. 

Electrical items have been covered.

Bring euros used both in italy and greece, tipping is not really expected tbh, but as always can donif you want. 

As for maps i always use google maps its free and easy to use. Also gives you directions. 

Finally do not forget your bug spray, we do get mosquitos and other little annoying flys in europe so best ro be prepared. 

• Like 1

We were on Odyssey last year for 27 days for a B2B HolyLand / TA and we each brought ONLY a carryon and backpack.  We also spent 3 days prior in Italy.

We are D+, so the free bag of laundry each helped with some of the clothes like shorts, workout things, undies and socks, but many of the items we brought - especially all my shirts and my work out clothes - could be washed in the sink and hung to dry in the cabin  or on the balcony.

I also bought skirts and a couple of lightweight dresses from Ripskirt that I also washed in the sink in the cabin.

• Like 2

Search travel dresses on amazon.  They have a whole line of lightweight, packable (wrinkle-resist) little dresses that roll up tiny in packing cubes.  They look great with sneakers (Ugg or Cariuma make adorable yet supportive travel sneakers if you don't want to look as touristy) and you can bring a pair of sandals to wear with them for dinners.  I was able to do several weeks in France with just a carry-on thanks to these dresses.  A thin cotton cardigan will help with cooler evenings and in churches.

If dresses are not your thing, Athleta has some great pants that look super nice but are tech-y fabric and travel so well.  I'm currently loving the Endless pant for my trips.  (But for space-saving, it's hard to beat a dress)

As for your DH, (and if either of your kids is a boy) they have it so much easier!  A few pairs of "travel pants" and then nylon shirts that look nice and they are good to go.  My DH particularly likes the Stio and Kuhl brands of pants for the way they hold up to multiple wearings on a trip and yet still look sharp.  Kuhl especially makes nice breathable options.  Amazon also has a wide range of short and long sleeve shirts - looking for a nylon or poly blend.  DH especially likes the Helly Hansen ones.  

I hope this helps/is what you were looking for.  Have a great trip!

• Like 2

I can not go that long carry on only but it’s admirable for you to try.  It is a pain to drag bags everywhere!

My advice is not clothing but safety for money, passports, electronics. DH carries a sling pacsafe bag and I carry a small crossbody travelon purse. Pickpockets are very good.  You won’t even know it until it’s too late.

We warned our BIL, he had his money in a Velcro pocket on a train. He felt it but his wallet was passed off and then off the train before he could even react. He wasted time reporting it at a police station, who of course did nothing.  

Keep them locked and in front of you as you travel through cities and public transportation. Do not take them off at restaurants. With our belongings safe, we can relax and enjoy our vacation. They will pick someone not as prepared. 

Have a great time!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We were on Odyssey last year for 27 days for a B2B HolyLand / TA and we each brought ONLY a carryon and backpack.  We also spent 3 days prior in Italy.

We are D+, so the free bag of laundry each helped with some of the clothes like shorts, workout things, undies and socks, but many of the items we brought - especially all my shirts and my work out clothes - could be washed in the sink and hung to dry in the cabin  or on the balcony.

I also bought skirts and a couple of lightweight dresses from Ripskirt that I also washed in the sink in the cabin.

What was the name of the backpack? I’m looking to do this for our Sept cruise. 

On 4/26/2024 at 3:37 PM, firstimer2009 said:

What was the name of the backpack? I’m looking to do this for our Sept cruise. 

I bought this one in 2022 for our Wonder TA and have been using it for regular commute too since then.  I like that it can be locked in several places and holds a lot.  It has space for a laptop and can slide over the handle of your carry on.  I just used it again for our Radiance Panama Canal cruise and it still retains the original shape with no issues whatsoever.  Lots of colors, too.

Monsdle Travel Laptop Backpack... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DHMPTRW?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Mine is the purple one.

IMG_3927.thumb.jpeg.0767ca3cbd776ba8895a88763e73066d.jpeg

My roommate has the red one.  Here’s a better look at it.  Again, at this point we’ve had them for 2 years.  These photos were taken 3 weeks ago.  We love them.

IMG_4413.thumb.jpeg.e73481a7e98315799075c8962c67119e.jpeg

• Like 1

Just to keep in mind, I have family in Europe and travel there from time to time.  Europeans tend to dress less casual than us in the US.  People wearing t-shirts and sneakers are often tourists.  This is also a trigger for pickpockets etc.  

Also, many smaller shop owners, restaurants (even in the big cities) do not accept credit cards especially US credit cards due to the higher fees.  We once even had a hotel owner who did not accept our US credit card and, yes, I did inquire beforehand but not specifically a US card.  I always go to my local bank to purchase Euro's prior to our travels.  Better exchange rate.