Bloggers how many is enough

Bazrat

10 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

They were staying in the Yacht Club at the time which is a fairly small  area of the ship. Consequently it would be difficult for someone staying in that “ship within the ship” to completely avoid being caught on camera as it is such a very small community of people (around 200).

Add to that the fact that from time to time there are passengers who are fairly well known who travel in the Yacht Club with their families and will probably not want their children seen on camera. We had a very famous sportsman on our last voyage for example and no one bothered him. He and his family had a normal family holiday away from autograph hunters and fans.

As other bloggers have discretely filmed in the YC in the past I wonder if on this particular occasion someone wanted to protect their privacy so filming was stopped? Who knows.

Travel Blog Jamie was on our most recent Aurora cruise filming. It was interesting to see his take on our cruise.

I enjoy watching some of these blogs for information and the professional bloggers are usually very careful and not “in your face” . It’s the selfie seekers who annoy me more and those who film or photograph every single bite they eat  in the dining room (which is why we now avoid sharing tables whenever possible).

Totally agree: we were in the YC and there was a famous sports star in there, and his family very rarely went out of the ship with him because people just pestered him. He went in there for the privacy, and having bloggers there wouldn’t have been inappropriate and blown his kids cover. They were a lovely family and the children and his wife in particular just wanted to have a “normal” holiday. 

Plus like you say, the YC is relatively small, so filming would be more obvious and intrusive than it would have been in other sections of the ship.

I get the feeling that the whole incident was over-dramaticised for likes and clicks to be honest, and I won’t be following them in future when there are plenty of other good bloggers out there who are a lot more respectful.

• Like 1

Personally, I would be very unhappy to be filmed, and shown to all and sundry as on holiday. If our home were to be broken into, because of some non-influencer, I can assure you, they would find out.  I think cruise companies should clamp down on them.  My photo is very very private for a specific reason.  I have no photos of us in ‘public’ online.  

• Like 3

What a curious collection of comments.

With regards MSC Gate, undoubtedly the bloggers involved use clickbait video titles and hint at sensationalism but there is very little to get excited about in their videos and they don't show other guests on their videos.

Being unhappy to be filmed is basically meaningless currently, you will simply have to be unhappy.

Cruise lines and/or the law may change but today the only way to maintain 100% privacy is to go somewhere 100% private.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Goosebear Mum said:

I think cruise companies should clamp down on them.

As I posted above ,this would be hard to police .Some folk are filming to show the 

family back home and some are doing it as a money making vlog .

Does the cruise ship insist everyone onboard take no photos or films ?

If they had a rule it has to be one that applies to all cruisers .

When folk film in a UK public place they are breaking no laws ,if you are passing

by that is just unfortunate that you were passing by.

Not easy to police at all .

Places can state no filming for commercial reasons, without licence/permission.  It would reduce the number considerably. Those who act responsibly and professionally would have a licence, and have to act within guidelines.  It would stop the gauntlet of irresponsible wannabes.  

• Like 2

These blobbers vary from the very good to the absolute cringe worthy who I would run a mile to avoid (rather difficult on a ship).

I certainly wouldn't call any of them influencers, well they certainly wouldn't influence me to buy anything, in fact absolutely quite the opposite.

Emma cruises is by a long stretch one of the better ones. If only she would slow down a bit when speaking, then I would forgive her strange diet. 😀

There is a whole raft of laws surrounding the taking of photos/videos, but unfortunately most are somewhat vague and rarely enforced - just ask any professional photographer.

One key law is that you cannot photograph on "private land" (which could include a cruise ship) without the owner's consent. Also if you request not to be photographed and the photographer persists then that is harassment under UK law.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Goosebear Mum said:

Places can state no filming for commercial reasons, without licence/permission.  It would reduce the number considerably. Those who act responsibly and professionally would have a licence, and have to act within guidelines.  It would stop the gauntlet of irresponsible wannabes.  

Shopping centres and the like yes but stood outside on a pavement is quite legal .

If someone was getting arrested for shop lifting and thrown into a cop van, 

you can film it  even if the prisoner objects to it .

But back to ships ,I think the horse as bolted from the stable .where we can state

"no filming for commercial reasons" What if the film is a few years old?

I used to like to film but early morning when no one was around and I never did them

hoping to make money .

Thing is lots of folk are buying GO Pro's and want to film and post online ,

at the moment they are doing no wrong .

• Like 1

I for some unknown reason kept walking past Ben and David on our last TA,to say there appearance off camera is to say the least miserable, and after watching the video about the cruise and there last comment, they was happy to leave the ship and get a salad completely lost me.

Talking of filming onboard regardless of who is filming .

How many film the theatre shows even after a PA stating that ...

"the filming of our theatre shows are not allowed "

Most folk decide it does not apply to them .🤔

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Goosebear Mum said:

Cruise ships state the dress code of the night...but...

• Haha 2

The current level of bloggers on ships has not reached the point where it has bothered me as I have never even seen one let alone the hoards that some on here seem to have been hounded by.

Assuming that it does reach a point where it is a problem then rules would be welcome however they must be enforced by the cruise lines, which given the way that Karen & Co treat formal night and the way that P&O react, I cannot see happening.

11 hours ago, Goosebear Mum said:

Personally, I would be very unhappy to be filmed, and shown to all and sundry as on holiday. If our home were to be broken into, because of some non-influencer, I can assure you, they would find out.  I think cruise companies should clamp down on them.  My photo is very very private for a specific reason.  I have no photos of us in ‘public’ online.  

We were having a quiet drink one evening watching the setting sun when another passenger decided to slowly wander through the area, phone held in front of her face scanning the horizon... no problem.

Then this intrepid  "Vlog the blogger" turned her camera towards those of us sitting enjoying the view... not so nice. The reaction of some couldn't have been greater had she picked up their drink and taken a slurp!

One enterprising chap saw her off though... not a word was spoken... not a unpleasant gesture was made... he simply took out his phone and started to film "Vlog the blogger" filming us all!

Needless to say... she really, really didn't like it and went off in a flustered flap. 

After "Vlog" hurriedly left... the comment of "Let the punishment fit the crime." seemed to be very apt! 📵🍹🍹😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, kalos said:

As I posted above ,this would be hard to police .Some folk are filming to show the 

family back home and some are doing it as a money making vlog .

Does the cruise ship insist everyone onboard take no photos or films ?

If they had a rule it has to be one that applies to all cruisers .

When folk film in a UK public place they are breaking no laws ,if you are passing

by that is just unfortunate that you were passing by.

Not easy to police at all .

If professional filming is taking place there are generally notices advising the general public of the fact, be it on land or on the ship.  We were on Regal Princess in 2022 on a Barcelona sailing and the new Love Boat was being filmed.  The daily programme gave advance warning of which areas would be affected each day and there were warning notices if you chose to enter the area. Newbury Racecourse did the same for filming for Peaky Blinders so clearly the companies are aware it is a touchy subject with some.

The problem with a lot of these so called bloggers is they aren't actually really the full item.  Those you mention such as Emma etc are well known by the cruise companies and no doubt do try to use discretion and really are interested in helping/giving views on cruising.  They are primarily giving views and experiences about cruising not their entire lives. 

However the "swarms" are more than likely just people who post their entire lives on the internet in the hope they will become influencers, most of whom are actually talentless individuals making a living from the seemingly unending desire of some people to live vicariously through the internet. These people are not vlogging on cruising, they are using the ships as a background to "look at me, aren't I successful" so that they can garner clickbait and hopefully catch the eye of advertisers who will pay them to name drop their products.  The people doing this are just as likely the next week to be doing the self same thing in Dubai or New York.  These people see themselves as being in the "in" place. 

It's also a generations issue.  Young people will think it's fine, they are very happy to use social media and the internet to show how they live their lives and won't think anything is odd about doing so.

The cruise lines could control things better by saying only approved vloggers/bloggers can post full reports on social media accounts, it should be very easy to see who is a "professional" cruise vlogger as opposed to attention seeker looking for advertising.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 5

12 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

If professional filming is taking place there are generally notices advising the general public of the fact, be it on land or on the ship.  We were on Regal Princess in 2022 on a Barcelona sailing and the new Love Boat was being filmed.  The daily programme gave advance warning of which areas would be affected each day and there were warning notices if you chose to enter the area. Newbury Racecourse did the same for filming for Peaky Blinders so clearly the companies are aware it is a touchy subject with some.

The problem with a lot of these so called bloggers is they aren't actually really the full item.  Those you mention such as Emma etc are well known by the cruise companies and no doubt do try to use discretion and really are interested in helping/giving views on cruising.  They are primarily giving views and experiences about cruising not their entire lives. 

However the "swarms" are more than likely just people who post their entire lives on the internet in the hope they will become influencers, most of whom are actually talentless individuals making a living from the seemingly unending desire of some people to live vicariously through the internet. These people are not vlogging on cruising, they are using the ships as a background to "look at me, aren't I successful" so that they can garner clickbait and hopefully catch the eye of advertisers who will pay them to name drop their products.  The people doing this are just as likely the next week to be doing the self same thing in Dubai or New York.  These people see themselves as being in the "in" place. 

It's also a generations issue.  Young people will think it's fine, they are very happy to use social media and the internet to show how they live their lives and won't think anything is odd about doing so.

The cruise lines could control things better by saying only approved vloggers/bloggers can post full reports on social media accounts, it should be very easy to see who is a "professional" cruise vlogger as opposed to attention seeker looking for advertising.

Could you give some specific details of when this has affected you and who was the vlogger etc please?

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Lee Jones Jnr said:

Could you give some specific details of when this has affected you and who was the vlogger etc please?

You'll note I didn't say the vloggers but those filming as influencers for their blogs on various social media forums.  However I can confirm in the past 12 months I have encountered loud speaking into a mobile, being told to stop I'm filming, don't walk here and could you not go through here on Arvia in June 2023, on Britannia January 2024, at the Epsom Racecourse for both The Oaks and The Derby. Goodwood House (both Goodwood Speed Festival and Glorious Goodwood), the O2 Arena for a Peter Gabriel concert - this was in the Amex Priority area and halted by O2 and Amex security staff.  Living in a city which has many tourists I've even been accosted within the grounds of the cathedral and on one notable occasion actually inside it while waiting for an organ recital to commence and havingan American visitor stand up and announce to the gathering, can you all be quiet please as we are recording for our blog and we don't want background noise.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Right, as people who have gathered so much information from various loggers, it would be hypocritical for me to now condemn them. 

I do wonder about privacy etc, but have been fortunate enough to not encounter any that have caused me any issues. 

I am grateful of any information we can gather before we travel, so appreciate their work. 

We were actually pleased to spot ourself on one of the videos. 

I totally understand the other point of view, but our experience is that they are more use to us than a hindrance. 

Andy 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

You'll note I didn't say the vloggers but those filming as influencers for their blogs on various social media forums.  However I can confirm in the past 12 months I have encountered loud speaking into a mobile, being told to stop I'm filming, don't walk here and could you not go through here on Arvia in June 2023, on Britannia January 2024, at the Epsom Racecourse for both The Oaks and The Derby. Goodwood House (both Goodwood Speed Festival and Glorious Goodwood), the O2 Arena for a Peter Gabriel concert - this was in the Amex Priority area and halted by O2 and Amex security staff.  Living in a city which has many tourists I've even been accosted within the grounds of the cathedral and on one notable occasion actually inside it while waiting for an organ recital to commence and havingan American visitor stand up and announce to the gathering, can you all be quiet please as we are recording for our blog and we don't want background noise.

I had a similar experience in York Minister 2 weeks ago, I got told off by a vlogger for walking across the area he was filming and having the temerity to speak to wife. He told me he was filming for his online channel and would have to redo the shot again. I said did he have permission from the Minister for commercial filming, he went quiet and moved off. 

• Like 3

On 4/28/2024 at 9:22 AM, Lee Jones Jnr said:

The current level of bloggers on ships has not reached the point where it has bothered me as I have never even seen one let alone the hoards that some on here seem to have been hounded by.

I agree. But then, I cruise with Oceania and I suspect that the generally elderly customer base doesnt attract vloggers. 

If a cruise line did decide to introduce a rule banning commercial filming, I envisage it would be all but impossible to enforce. Just look at the inability of lines to enforce a "no sunbed bagging"

• 3 weeks later...

I think people here can get far too focused on what's going on around them, and seem to be rather afraid of the internet. I promise no-one is going to break into your house because you were in the background of someone's live stream.