Bloggers how many is enough

Bazrat

After our last cruise on Arvia the amount of people wandering around filming was simply ridiculous, there wasn’t one part of the ship we’re you did not encounter them, I know some might want to film there experience onboard but the majority are the ones trying to earn a living from it, it seams to have gotten worse.

• Like 5

Totally agree i dont mind people taking photos and that and showing their friends and family the ship but bloggers who usually get the cruise free or sponsored to go and then spend the whole time filming is annoying. Also you have no idea who they are and what they could be filming for their "bloggs"......

• Like 8

25 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

After our last cruise on Arvia the amount of people wandering around filming was simply ridiculous, there wasn’t one part of the ship we’re you did not encounter them, I know some might want to film there experience onboard but the majority are the ones trying to earn a living from it, it seams to have gotten worse.

There was two guys who filmed on a MSC ship and made it clear they did not like it .

Not too long back they went onboard and decided they liked it but the powers that be

on that ship told them they were not welcome to film the ship anymore .

They complained they only stopped them from filming and felt victimised.

What the difference was they were doing it for a living unlike the true holidaymakers

and left the ship early as they could not film .

• Like 6

What annoys me about many of the films taken onboard cruise ships is that those doing the filming don't have a clue about making a film.

They get their phones out, turn them on and then wave the phone around so that by the time your brain has worked out what is being shown it has moved on to something else. Many of these films are just a waste of time if you are trying to garner any useful information.

• Like 4

My pet hate too, find it very intrusive especially in pool areas where people are in swimwear.

Also get really annoyed by people who take ages getting into the perfect pose, don’t they ever get sick of looking at themselves.

Getting more like my mother every day 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, kalos said:

There was two guys who filmed on a MSC ship and made it clear they did not like it .

Not too long back they went onboard and decided they liked it but the powers that be

What the difference was they were doing it for a living unlike the true holidaymakers

Ben & David they complain about P&O a lot according to other vloggers especially when they were on Arvia. They were unhappy with the balcony even though they mentioned they paid a saver fare they surely knew they could have been given the cabin on the prom deck. It could have been the plan all along hoping to get one of them cabins so they can get more views and clicks. To balance it Emma had one of them and she quite enjoyed it.

Edited by carlanthony24
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Totally agree i dont mind people taking photos and that and showing their friends and family the ship but bloggers who usually get the cruise free or sponsored to go and then spend the whole time filming is annoying. Also you have no idea who they are and what they could be filming for their "bloggs"......

I can't say that I have ever noticed anyone excessively filming but that could be that I rarely take any notice of what others are doing but if I had children with me I would be very upset to see some one filming the children. No one knows where they are posting their films on the internet, it could be on a site used by pedophiles.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I can't say that I have ever noticed anyone excessively filming but that could be that I rarely take any notice of what others are doing but if I had children with me I would be very upset to see some one filming the children. No one knows where they are posting their films on the internet, it could be on a site used by pedophiles.

Totally agree, if you walked up and down a beach with camera out people would rightly stop and ask question as to why and report you. Yet these influences/bloggers feel they can do what they want. We are now in a society where people get their phones out and film everything for social media "likes". 

• Like 3

We were onboard the Britannia and a blogger was onboard (he had his blog title on his jacket) but he was very respectful about his filming and did his ship tour section filming early in the day when people weren’t out and about. He also was very careful to film so that it didn’t include other passengers etc. 

I have heard of the recent MSC controversy, and I think the two sides to the story often get lost!

I prefer the blogs where they add their own dialogue or commentary afterwards: I don’t want to listen to someone heavy breathing as they wheeze about the ship. 

Just to add that my 6 year old son does “videos” for his channel (which is imaginary) so please don’t be offended if you hear someone saying “hey guys, I’m here with the old biddies and I’m hungover from drinking cocktails” 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

29 minutes ago, carlanthony24 said:

Ben & David they complain about P&O a lot according to other vloggers especially when they were on Arvia. They were unhappy with the balcony even though they mentioned they paid a saver fare they surely knew they could have been given the cabin on the prom deck. It could have been the plan all along hoping to get one of them cabins so they can get more views and clicks. To balance it Emma had one of them and she quite enjoyed it.

Yeah those lads attitudes not my cup of tea, Emma has done some good informative blogs without filming everwhere and anyone. 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Harryjacobs said:

It rather annoys me.  Im a private person and have a reason why I do not want  to be broadcast on the internet yet these guys will film and broadcast without permission.  

And there lies the problem ,off the ship they do not need your permission if they are

filming in a public place but how do we work out who can and can't film onboard .

That is down to the ships themselves but folk would be up in arms if they could not

film their holiday . 

I don't name any of the vloggers as to be fair a few do good films and do avoid the 

filming of others .

My pet hates are the folk who have their face stuck in the camera 80% of the film  ,

also they sit gorging on loads of food and tell us .."I'm doing this for you "  😒

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Yeah those lads attitudes not my cup of tea, Emma has done some good informative blogs without filming everwhere and anyone. 

Emma says like it is, she got an awful lot of abuse when she criticised virgin cruises

• Like 2

I can't say I have noticed any whilst aboard, but that could be because we tend to do longer cruises so maybe us oldies are not their target audience. I have checked a few out if going on a ship for the first time to get a feel for the ship but find they tend to be a bit; me, me and breathe their own smoke. I do like Cruise Mummy as she also tends to say it as it is, plus her site has lots of handy info.

• Like 2

I've only ever watched one of these things, a guy caught up in the Maleth 12 hour overnight fiasco, and to be truthful I could not believe that people actually tune in to any of this.

However the filming bloggers do not irritate me anywhere near as much as the general passengers who choose to Facetime or whatever with their families in public areas.  I object very much to hearing Billericay Dickie and co giving vivid discussions of their days to Uncle Ernie back home.  By all means contact home but do it in a private area where I do not have to listen, okay Babe...

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I've only ever watched one of these things, a guy caught up in the Maleth 12 hour overnight fiasco, and to be truthful I could not believe that people actually tune in to any of this.

However the filming bloggers do not irritate me anywhere near as much as the general passengers who choose to Facetime or whatever with their families in public areas.  I object very much to hearing Billericay Dickie and co giving vivid discussions of their days to Uncle Ernie back home.  By all means contact home but do it in a private area where I do not have to listen, okay Babe...

Sounds like Travel Blog Jamie. I think a few of us discussed about him previously.

• Thanks 1

There are 2 people on FB who just fill up the pages like P&O Aurora This is the Life.  Can't find anything interesting because it's all taken up with blogs.  No interest in reading them.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have to say I usually find the vast majority of these cruise bloggers and vloggers to be self-indulgent and pretentious: the whole promotion of their so-called “influencer” status. No thanks: they’re just filming and posting stuff. IMO they can be useful but sometimes even so called “amateurs” who offer short pics,videos and info on forums etc..do it just as well or badly. Sometimes not!

While many are at least respectful of other passengers, we had a vlogger try to organise a “shoot” on Sky Princess the other week: he and his fellow vlogger were trying to stop people going past so they were not in their way as they filmed themselves and a few chosen ones who were fawning around them. And boy were they annoyed that other non vloggie folk were ignoring them and went past anyway. And last year on Iona a vlogger at a table next to our table asked us to be quiet for a few mins while she spoke about her meal into her device. 

Ok, some are fine to watch on YouTube and some can be entertaining - in very small doses - but I find for most it is mainly just about me, me, me.

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 7

Posted (edited)

What I can't stand is people using their phones to video in portrait mode. All you can see is a small picture then lots of black on either side. If you are going to video at least turn your phone round so that we can actually see something.

Emma is ok, she just needs to take a breath even so often.

Edited by emam
Predictive text.
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, kalos said:

They were staying in the Yacht Club at the time which is a fairly small  area of the ship. Consequently it would be difficult for someone staying in that “ship within the ship” to completely avoid being caught on camera as it is such a very small community of people (around 200).

Add to that the fact that from time to time there are passengers who are fairly well known who travel in the Yacht Club with their families and will probably not want their children seen on camera. We had a very famous sportsman on our last voyage for example and no one bothered him. He and his family had a normal family holiday away from autograph hunters and fans.

As other bloggers have discretely filmed in the YC in the past I wonder if on this particular occasion someone wanted to protect their privacy so filming was stopped? Who knows.

Travel Blog Jamie was on our most recent Aurora cruise filming. It was interesting to see his take on our cruise.

I enjoy watching some of these blogs for information and the professional bloggers are usually very careful and not “in your face” . It’s the selfie seekers who annoy me more and those who film or photograph every single bite they eat  in the dining room (which is why we now avoid sharing tables whenever possible).

• Like 8

We enjoy watching a handful of vloggers who make an income from it and are very good in front of the camera. By all accounts they need a huge amount of followers and views to earn a decent amount, but that doesn't seem to have discouraged the large amount of other folk who seem to think that it is so easy that anyone can do it. 

We've not encountered any onboard during school holiday cruises but I can well imagine that it's becoming more common on the cheaper cruises. As @Megabear2 stated, personally I've found passengers having loud conversations with someone whilst their mobile phone is on speaker mode more of an annoyance.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Harryjacobs said:

It rather annoys me.  Im a private person and have a reason why I do not want  to be broadcast on the internet yet these guys will film and broadcast without permission.  

Really do agree...

We were recently on a cruise where an rather egotistic blogger/wanna-be-influencer decided to film, photo and comment on the cruise, the excursions and all things associated... "live." 

We found that we were shown on the photos in one of the ports in such a way that  anyone who knew us would have recognised us. We didn't like that. We're rather private people. We both had careers that meant that we had to avoid social "meediah" and suchlike.

We certainly didn't want our whereabouts broadcast to the 8.5 billion mobile phones on this earth. So to know that someone was broadcasting photos without our permission that just happened to show us on holiday made us uncomfortable and quite significantly detracted from our enjoyment of our cruise. 

The blog itself was very much a "me, me, me" bit of egomaniacal fantasy concocted to try to give the impression of an influencer's eye-view... in fact many of the comments were unrecognisable to ourselves and others on the ship. Some "criticisms" were immensely quirky, peculiar and idiosyncratic... and many of the supporting "facts" were fanciful... to say the very least. For instance... there were constant complaints about the WIFI on the blog but our "blogger" was able to post dozens and dozens of photos every day!

Had we not been on the cruise and read the unbelievably farfetched fanciful and sometimes down-right bizarrely curious claims... it could have put us off booking with the company!

• Like 1

WELL... I watch half a dozen CruiseTubers and have never really seen a time when they are disrespectful or inconsiderate to other passengers.

Emma Cruises is my favourite and she films when other guests are not around and adds commentary at a later date.

Travel Blog Jamie, Ben & David (the ones who left MSC after being told to stop filming), Cruise Buoys and Cruise Monkeys all talk into the camera as they film but don't really capture other guests.

I also watch Cruising As Crew which is entirely face in camera and not filmed out and about on ship.

I have not ever seen any aspiring CruiseTubers out in the wild and suspect that they are not nearly as massive an issue as some are claiming here but as time goes on I imagine that cruise lines will start to implement rules about filming.

That said, dress code rules are often poorly enforced so I am unsure if it will make any difference.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lee Jones Jnr said:

WELL... I watch half a dozen CruiseTubers and have never really seen a time when they are disrespectful or inconsiderate to other passengers.

Emma Cruises is my favourite and she films when other guests are not around and adds commentary at a later date.

Travel Blog Jamie, Ben & David (the ones who left MSC after being told to stop filming), Cruise Buoys and Cruise Monkeys all talk into the camera as they film but don't really capture other guests.

I also watch Cruising As Crew which is entirely face in camera and not filmed out and about on ship.

I have not ever seen any aspiring CruiseTubers out in the wild and suspect that they are not nearly as massive an issue as some are claiming here but as time goes on I imagine that cruise lines will start to implement rules about filming.

That said, dress code rules are often poorly enforced so I am unsure if it will make any difference.

I agree that the professional vloggers are usually very considerate however I have seen myself and family members (fleetingly) on several of these u tube videos. Particularly just after the pandemic when there were fewer passengers on ships.

They do talk into camera but they also film in public areas and people are in the background. Not everyone will be happy about that.

In the U.K. as you will know parents / guardians /  grandparents are not allowed to film or photograph school shows or awards etc. Roll to the summer holidays and the same children are caught on camera by any random with a phone.

You are correct, the lines may make rules in future but as to whether they are followed then dress code / towels on sunbeds/ embarkation times/ hand washing etc etc suggest not.

• Like 2

Getting it off my chest that I hate the term "influencer" with a passion.   No-one "influences" me about anything.  Ever.   And it appears everyone and his aunt is a cruise blogger these days.   However, from a light entertainment point of view, I do like Kevin and Stacey (One Couples Adventures) because they're down to earth and ask to film empty spaces early morning, Travel Blog Jamie because he appears very personable and Emma Cruises (but I do wish she would slow down and come up for air occasionally).   

The Ben and David MSC scenario, well others will say differently, but Ben's general dramatic negativity - you only have to read the titles of all their vlogs over most cruise lines - grinds on me like finger nails down a blackboard.  

Did MSC deal with it well?   No, not really.   But the histrionics were unnecessary.

Cruise lines have made a rod for their own backs by facilitating all this by offering free / discounted cruises, effectively encouraging it all.   One which, I suspect, they will struggle to regulate going forwards.

• Like 6