Couple questions about New York

Hey all 

were cruising out of NY next march , and have already booked hotel The Renwick , we plan on doing a lot of walking to see sites and it seemed like good location , guess my first question would be is it safe to walk about at night , obviously the common sense precautions are always taken , but a few of the stops we want to see are an hour walk from hotel .

another question is coming from JFK to hotel , is an Uber as cost effective as a taxi ?

plan on studying the subway system , just wondering do you buy a day pass , or pay as you go , 

1 hour ago, Funbobby68 said:

have already booked hotel The Renwick , we plan on doing a lot of walking to see sites and it seemed like good location , guess my first question would be is it safe to walk about at night , obviously the common sense precautions are always taken , but a few of the stops we want to see are an hour walk from hotel .

Yes it is. Most of Manhattan I would consider very safe to walk around at most times of the day and night so long as, like you said, you stay aware of your surroundings.

Based on where your hotel is (and to be frank I've been in and about NYC my entire life and had never heard of it, but looking it up the location is very good) you can pretty much walk most places. Although the area you are in is very safe you can do small things at night if it would make you feel more comfortable like using Park Ave to walk North and South. It is well lit, full of doorman buildings with eyes on the street, and has a decent pedestrian traffic at most times of the day and night. 

another question is coming from JFK to hotel , is an Uber as cost effective as a taxi ?

JFK has flat taxi fares so its the only NYC airport where I still consider using a traditional taxi. It is $70 plus tolls and tip with a $5 surcharge during rush hour. If Uber is $85ish or less I would take the Uber-- generally a nicer car than the taxi is. But either or in this situation would work. If the Uber has a surge or a long wait just jump in the yellow cab. 

plan on studying the subway system , just wondering do you buy a day pass , or pay as you go , 

It will depend on where you want to go. From where you are you are walkable to most major Midtown sightseeing areas and you don't need the subway at all. The only real reason to take the subway would be if you plan on going down to lower Manhattan which would be a trip down and a trip back. I wouldn't buy a day pass for a round trip. You'll need the subway most likely less than you think. 

Posted (edited)

@princeton123211 is right, the flat rate taxi works out to about $100 to anywhere in Manhattan with tolls, fees, and tip.  Uber can be a little less or could be quite a bit more.  Nice thing about cabs is you follow the signs to the curb where they pick you up, while ubers require more walking to find their location

There are no "day passes" for the subway.  Pay per ride or you can get a weekly pass that works out when you take 13 or so rides in a week

Edited by Nitemare

Don't know that I'd heard of the hotel either, but agree it's a good location. Midtown East has always had a nice feel to me.

MTA has a weekly cap (something at least reasonably new) using their OMNY tap and go system. Most contactless credit cards and Apple Pay/Google Pay work fine, and you're capped at $34 for a 7 day period. That really makes most passes redundant for visitors.

And from that location, as stated, you'll walk more than ride. You didn't say how long you're in the city, but I'd generally expect to take the subway to the Financial District, SOHO or the Village. Also if you decide to go to the Met. You'll walk to most Midtown sites.

We are there for 4 full days before we sail , definitely want to make it to 113 st marks pl , , and hoping to take in maybe a hockey game , or something like that , will be early march , so can’t imagine it will be super warm lol 

8 minutes ago, Funbobby68 said:

We are there for 4 full days before we sail , definitely want to make it to 113 st marks pl , , and hoping to take in maybe a hockey game , or something like that , will be early march , so can’t imagine it will be super warm lol 

You never know about weather. In 2015, we were walking around Manhattan in short sleeve polos, with not jackets, on Christmas Day. In 2009, we were watching 23 inches of snow fall...

Had to Google the address. I think I get it, but I won't tell... 😃

9 minutes ago, markeb said:

You never know about weather. In 2015, we were walking around Manhattan in short sleeve polos, with not jackets, on Christmas Day. In 2009, we were watching 23 inches of snow fall...

Had to Google the address. I think I get it, but I won't tell... 😃

Exactly LOL 

2 minutes ago, Funbobby68 said:

Exactly LOL 

Never been there. A lot of good places to visit in Manhattan. It's a pity the Waldorf is still closed. A couple of really cool bars there before the closure. Manhattan is still a great cocktail town!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, markeb said:

Never been there. A lot of good places to visit in Manhattan. It's a pity the Waldorf is still closed. A couple of really cool bars there before the closure. Manhattan is still a great cocktail town!

Will be on the search for good local pubs , hoping to hit Katz deli , but looks like it’s a ways away , monk/toms diner , and will definitely take in the physical graffiti building on he way 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, markeb said:

Total open to hear any hidden gems , you might recognize, going to need a good coffee shop near by for sure 

Will be on the search for good local pubs , hoping to hit Katz deli , but looks like it’s a ways away , monk/toms diner , and will definitely take in the physical graffiti building on he way 

A good pub The Dead Rabbit on Water Street. But there are plenty of decent Irish pubs all around. 

2 hours ago, Funbobby68 said:

Total open to hear any hidden gems , you might recognize, going to need a good coffee shop near by for sure 

What are your plans in Manhattan? It's a pretty big place. Most people, myself included, don't explore much of it.

Hidden gems depend on what you're doing. You can, for instance, eat at some of the best restaurants in North America, priced accordingly. Great pizza, great steaks, and a variety of other food. Several world class museums. Views from either Top of the Rock or the Empire State Building. Kind of depends on you interests.

I've not gone on the search for great speakeasies that still exist. A lot of the better hotels have great bars. Some things that seem cliche are also good.

I'm debating on starting a food finds thread just for fun, but...

Amazing restaurant (Michelin 3-star) that you might actually get reservations to: Le Bernardin. 51st Avenue between 6th and 7th Avenue. Amazing French inspired seafood. Lunch more affordable than dinner (surprise). The hidden gem is the lounge where you can order off of the prix fix menu or a lounge menu and have amazing cocktails and wines. Dress code...

Wine Bar: Aldo Sohm Wine Bar. Aldo Sohm is the Sommelier at Le Bernardin. He has a more casual wine bar directly adjacent to Le Bernardin. Somewhat limited menu for food, but great menu for wine. Casual

Pizza: John's of Bleeker Street. In the Village, not far from the shops of SOHO and Washington Square. I'm still a fan of John's of Time Square for convenience (they used to be related; there was a divorce in the 0's apparently) but the Bleeker Street location is better. Smaller, you may be waiting outside, mid afternoon lunch is probably better. Totally casual.

Ramen: A recent find. Michelin Bib Gourmand and well worth it (and also not far from your hotel. Tonchin. Not overly expensive (more so with the full bar, or course), a bit messy (like most Ramen places) but delicious. Hot food on what could be a cold day. Casual.

Steak. Also not far from your hotel. Keens. Very old school NY steakhouse. Also has a cool bar.

Best use of a sunny afternoon: The High Line. Look it up if you haven't. There's a northern entrance not far from Penn Station. Which now also has a very nice food hall and H&H makes some great bagels/bagel sandwiches. The southern exit is in the Meatpacking District and a short walk to Chelsea Market.

No good recommendations for coffee near your hotel. Sorry...

Have fun!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markeb said:

What are your plans in Manhattan? It's a pretty big place. Most people, myself included, don't explore much of it.

Hidden gems depend on what you're doing. You can, for instance, eat at some of the best restaurants in North America, priced accordingly. Great pizza, great steaks, and a variety of other food. Several world class museums. Views from either Top of the Rock or the Empire State Building. Kind of depends on you interests.

I've not gone on the search for great speakeasies that still exist. A lot of the better hotels have great bars. Some things that seem cliche are also good.

I'm debating on starting a food finds thread just for fun, but...

Amazing restaurant (Michelin 3-star) that you might actually get reservations to: Le Bernardin. 51st Avenue between 6th and 7th Avenue. Amazing French inspired seafood. Lunch more affordable than dinner (surprise). The hidden gem is the lounge where you can order off of the prix fix menu or a lounge menu and have amazing cocktails and wines. Dress code...

Wine Bar: Aldo Sohm Wine Bar. Aldo Sohm is the Sommelier at Le Bernardin. He has a more casual wine bar directly adjacent to Le Bernardin. Somewhat limited menu for food, but great menu for wine. Casual

Pizza: John's of Bleeker Street. In the Village, not far from the shops of SOHO and Washington Square. I'm still a fan of John's of Time Square for convenience (they used to be related; there was a divorce in the 0's apparently) but the Bleeker Street location is better. Smaller, you may be waiting outside, mid afternoon lunch is probably better. Totally casual.

Ramen: A recent find. Michelin Bib Gourmand and well worth it (and also not far from your hotel. Tonchin. Not overly expensive (more so with the full bar, or course), a bit messy (like most Ramen places) but delicious. Hot food on what could be a cold day. Casual.

Steak. Also not far from your hotel. Keens. Very old school NY steakhouse. Also has a cool bar.

Best use of a sunny afternoon: The High Line. Look it up if you haven't. There's a northern entrance not far from Penn Station. Which now also has a very nice food hall and H&H makes some great bagels/bagel sandwiches. The southern exit is in the Meatpacking District and a short walk to Chelsea Market.

No good recommendations for coffee near your hotel. Sorry...

Have fun!

Maybe you should just meet us and be our tour guide …lol 

My favorite restaurant by far is Becco’s on 46st between 8 and 9th ave , great Italian can get dinner for two with a bottle of wine for a little over a hundred per couple. Ton of great bars Algonquin hotel which has a cat that may greet you. Gallaghers is a top steak restaurant with a fantastic bar . Ellen’s stardust diner has out of work broadway singers as staff and they sing all day and night . All above is walking distance. 

18 hours ago, Funbobby68 said:

Heard about Ellen’s stardust diner , will for sure have a snack there 

I'd suggest a drink, instead.  The food isn't great and is expensive

Gayle's Broadway Rose is a newer version with better rated food and shorter lines

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

I'd suggest a drink, instead.  The food isn't great and is expensive

Gayle's Broadway Rose is a newer version with better rated food and shorter lines

I never thought food was expensive but line can really be long , we normally just drink . Never heard about Gayles , I see they take reservations which is a big plus . We did a late breakfast at Ellen’s last year line wasn’t long at all, but have seen it a block long . 

I strongly suggest an organize walking tour.

There are a huge number of hidden gems you will never find on your own.

Also, there used to be a prerecorded audio tour of Grand Central station that I found interesting.

The Met (5th ave on the park) is one of the best museums in the world. Take a doscent(sp?) tour.

Best bars and restaurants in the world, prices to match.

I have walked the battery to midtown, if you have strong legs it is recommended.

Given the short amount of time I don’t think going to the Statue of Liberty is worth it, but do go to the top of one of the skyscrapers.

Absolutely completely touristy but the open top buses are interesting. I have been going to NY since the 60s and still found it worthwhile.

Walking in NY really depends on where.

If it isn’t clear yet NY is one of the great WALKING cities of the world.

• Like 2