5% discount on Hot Glass for Captains Club

Someone here mentioned that CC members can get a 5% discount on the glass blowing by calling in instead of ordering online/in app. I just called and the rep said I have to pay the regular pre-sailing price now, and the 5% will refunded to my onboard account after I board the ship. Does that sound right? 

Nope, that is incorrect.

you can take advantage of any pre-cruise discounts AND the 5% CC discount.....but, as you mentioned, you do have to call.

Many of the reps are not familiar with the entire Celebrity product......sadly, you need to call back until you find someone who is more knowledgeable.....or ask to speak with a supervisor.

call back!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, wtang said:

I just called and the rep said I have to pay the regular pre-sailing price now, and the 5% will refunded to my onboard account after I board the ship. Does that sound right? 

That's how they did it when we did the hot glass class.  The price you pay is an entry price..meaning, you may select to make a piece that is priced higher than the reservation price on line.  Therefore, you pay the difference when you complete the class and will get your discount for the full amount at that time.  If you do not make a more expensive piece then the 5% is credited back to your account.  The other option is to book the class on embarkation day.  It fills up quickly so if you go this route, don't delay in signing up for the class.  Going this route ensures you get the 5% off whatever piece you make without having to get the credit to your account.

Posted (edited)

@Georgia_Peaches is correct in that you pay, say, $200 for the class. Some of the pieces you can make are $200, but if you select a $240 piece to make, you pay the additional $40 at your session.

BUT, on our last sailing, I booked a class for 2 which was offered for $170. I called to book and got another $8.50 discount, so I was billed $161.50. We never had to apply for any discounts onboard and each got a $200 "allowance" for our piece.

Yes, you can book after you board, but I take advantage of pre-cruise sales when possible.....which are not available once onboard.

Call again and ask for your discount now. If the price goes down between now and your sailing, call back, cancel your booking and rebook at the cheaper price.....but either way, you should be able to take advantage of the 5% plus any pre-cruise discounts.

Please come back and let us know what happens!

edit......we did this June of last year. Things might have changed in the last year, so YMMV.

Edited by CaroleSS

1 minute ago, CaroleSS said:

BUT, on our last sailing, I booked a class for 2 which was offered for $170. I called to book and got another $8.50 discount, so I was billed $161.50. We never had to apply for any discounts onboard and each got a $200 "allowance" for our piece.

Wow! That's awesome!  It seems the only thing consistent about Celebrity is their inconsistency from ship to ship!  It's why I completely agree that the OP should call again.  

• Like 1

OK I called back, twice.

First time, I called the Captains Club number (844-418-6824) and the rep said the 5% pre-sailing discount shown on the website/app right now is my CC 5% discount.  She said since I'm logged in, the website/app knows my CC status.  I told her no, that 5% pre-sailing discount is for everyone, whether CC or not.  I said I should get an additional 5% CC discount off that published price.  She disagreed and said the price shown is the only price she can offer me today.  She said I can wait until I board to book the Hot Glass and speak to the CC Loyalty Desk onboard about the 5% discount.  I said if I wait until I board, then I won't get the 5% pre-sailing discount... even if the onboard Loyalty Desk grants me the CC discount then I'm just back to square one with 5% off the full price.

Second time, I call the main reservations number (888-751-7804) and the rep said CC only provides discounts on upgrades, drink packages, photos, etc. and doesn't offer discounts on excursions.  I explained that Hot Glass isn't an excursion, it's on onboard activity.  He insisted that CC doesn't offer a discount for Hot Glass.  I said the Captains Club Benefits PDF file I downloaded from the Celebrity website clearly shows a 5% discount for HHG (Hollywood Hot Glass).  He couldn't explain the contradiction but insisted there is no discount and the current price I see in the website/app is the only price available.

So in summary, I called Celebrity 3 times and got 3 different answers.  The common denominator is "we can't offer you a 5% CC discount off the current listed price today".

BTW here's a link to the Captains Club Benefits PDF file on the Celebrity website. 
https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/captains-club-tiers-and-benefits-chart.pdf 

Your mileage may vary. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, wtang said:

She said since I'm logged in, the website/app knows my CC status.  I told her no, that 5% pre-sailing discount is for everyone, whether CC or not.  I said I should get an additional 5% CC discount off that published price.  She disagreed and said the price shown is the only price she can offer me today. 

Ok, so I disagree with the rep, but there is a quick way to find out. 

For my upcoming sailing, I got an email about shore excursions. If I click the link in that email, it takes me to the Shore Excursions page for my sailing. Mind you I am NOT logged in yet as if I want to book something, it prompts me to log in.

If you have a similar email or some way to access your reservation without actually logging in, you could see what the price was without logging in.

BTW, what is the actual verbiage of the 5% discount shown on the website? If it just says 5% discount then that, to me, implies a sale, not a CC discount.

edit: I'm not buying that comment as other CC discounts are not applied online....for example discounts for drink packages booked pre-sailing.

Edited by CaroleSS
  • Like 1

@wtang......I just called the CC number

+1 (844) 418-6824

I spoke with Liezel and she tells me that the 5% CC discount is in addition to the online discount.

she says if you call, tell the rep to transfer your call to her and she will give you both discounts....as that is what SHOULD happen!

• Like 1

Also, I do apologize if I have crossed a boundary. It's just that I'm fighting an issue with another company and I am getting the same run around that you are getting. I do understand how frustrating this is!

Granted, it amounts to less than $10, so I'm not sure how much you wish to fight for it, but if a company is going to advertise something, they need to be willing to honor said discount.

To all those out there who say I should butt-out, you are correct. @wtang has called 3 times and was told "no" 3 times. I feel that information is incorrect, but it's not my money nor my sailing, so I will go back to my spot and be quiet.

Again, I apologize for stepping on anyone's toes.

I had the same experience. Got the 5% (published discount for everyone) but could not get an additional 5% when calling and requesting based on alleged 😉 captain's club discount. 

I don’t understand the fascination of the hot glass on board the ship.   If you want to do that just google hot glass academy or workshop.  I am sure you will find many places near your residence that offers  it.   

I know it is a memory of your cruise.   OK.   Just a suggestion if it is really something you are interested in. 

Below is a map where I live in MI that has glass blowing opportunities.  Support your local busineeses.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

IMG_0997.png

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mets07 said:

I had the same experience. Got the 5% (published discount for everyone) but could not get an additional 5% when calling and requesting based on alleged 😉 captain's club discount. 

But you can get the additional 5% once on board. We did it this way and it worked out fine. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, miched said:

don’t understand the fascination of the hot glass on board the ship.

For us it was the novelty of doing it while on vacation….and on a cruise ship, no less. I’ve no doubt there are several places to do this in my area but once I’m out of vacation mode I’ve no time to blow glass into a vase or paperweight. 

8 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

But you can get the additional 5% once on board. We did it this way and it worked out fine. 

So if we have already paid in full and do the least expensive hot glass choice, you believe they will give us OBC? It's not much money,  just sounds unusual (?)

1 minute ago, mets07 said:

So if we have already paid in full and do the least expensive hot glass choice, you believe they will give us OBC? It's not much money,  just sounds unusual (?)

Yes, they will credit to your acct the 5%. At least, that’s how it worked for us. 

• Like 1