Air Conditioning (Carnival Cut Back by Increasing the Temp)

Does anyone else feel that this is another Carnival cut back? Increasing the temperature around the ship and rooms to save on energy costs or something? Our list 3-4 cruises, the ships have been rather warm. Our cabin rarely seems to get below 73-74 degrees now, and maintenance always says that is normal. Even when our cabin was 77-79 degrees two cruises ago, they said anything below 80 was acceptable! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gamecock_Cruiser said:

Does anyone else feel that this is another Carnival cut back? Increasing the temperature around the ship and rooms to save on energy costs or something? Our list 3-4 cruises, the ships have been rather warm. Our cabin rarely seems to get below 73-74 degrees now, and maintenance always says that is normal. Even when our cabin was 77-79 degrees two cruises ago, they said anything below 80 was acceptable! 

No. Just off the Vista and we had to turn the temperature up in the cabin because it was too cold. Public areas were very comfortable. 😎

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

No. Just off the Vista and we had to turn the temperature up in the cabin because it was too cold. Public areas were very comfortable. 😎

We were on the Paradise a few weeks ago, and that was the coldest ship I’ve experienced in 25 years of cruising. Usually I bring a hoodie and never use it, but this trip I forgot it and it would have come in handy.

• Like 1

It sounds like everyone has different experiences, but if they can save on energy costs by adjusting the temperature a few degrees, they should. It's low hanging fruit in cost control.  Obviously, guest comfort is important too, so if you feel it's been warm, send a complaint.  Maybe they're taking it too far.    

Our room on Vista last month could have been slightly cooler but it wasn't so warm that we were uncomfortable so we didn't say anything. On the other hand, Heroes Bar was so cold I couldn't stay there long. Every other place we went on the ship, I thought the temperature was perfect.

• Like 2

ive heard pro and con with the onboard temperatures, perhaps some of it is random occurence? 

i, for one, love it to be chilly when in hot and humid climates.  my wife likes it warmer than me.  

we havent had any issues on CCL historically.  

• Like 3

Our cabin was in the 60s our entire last cruise. It's been a long time since we've had a cabin that we considered warm and never anything approaching 80 degrees.

I’m guessing it depends on the cabin and location because our last 5-6 cruises, my wife has said the rooms are actually too cold on the lowest setting. Which is shocking to me. And it could be because it’s newer ships (MG, Celebration, Horizon).

another red herring, I check this every single cruise with a digital thermometer in both cabin and common areas, on 7 ships since the restart

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mfs2k said:

It sounds like everyone has different experiences, but if they can save on energy costs by adjusting the temperature a few degrees, they should. It's low hanging fruit in cost control.  Obviously, guest comfort is important too, so if you feel it's been warm, send a complaint.  Maybe they're taking it too far.    

Or…maybe not

8 hours ago, Hoosierpop said:

I’m guessing it depends on the cabin and location because our last 5-6 cruises, my wife has said the rooms are actually too cold on the lowest setting. Which is shocking to me. And it could be because it’s newer ships (MG, Celebration, Horizon).

Vista and Excel class have supplemental air in cabins, hence the loss of a closet. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierpop said:

Ah, that makes sense then. 

We were on the Vista when she first came out in the med.  At the Diamond event (a breakfast with senior staff) I sat with the chief engineer, who explained the HVAC system and how much more balanced it was and easier to cool (or heat) the ship.  If was clear how proud he was of the system in his explanation.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

another red herring, I check this every single cruise with a digital thermometer in both cabin and common areas, on 7 ships since the restart

Bingo. I usually check the mini-fridge temp, also  and starting to check outside temps.

• Like 1

On my last several cruises on the Magic, the cabin temperature ranged from comfortable to downright chilly if you didn't watch it. Public areas were all comfortable except the theater, which was actually cold. I worked for a mechanical contractor for 43 years, so I am always somewhat interested in the HVAC workings on the ships. I am looking forward to my first Excel ship experience with my b2b on Mardi Gras in a couple of weeks.

9 hours ago, Sea Raven said:

On my last several cruises on the Magic, the cabin temperature ranged from comfortable to downright chilly if you didn't watch it. Public areas were all comfortable except the theater, which was actually cold. I worked for a mechanical contractor for 43 years, so I am always somewhat interested in the HVAC workings on the ships. I am looking forward to my first Excel ship experience with my b2b on Mardi Gras in a couple of weeks.

You should search these forums for posts by Heidi13 and chengkp75.  Both provide excellent insight.  For example-

chengkp75 air balcony doors explanation.PNG

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gamecock_Cruiser said:

I need to jump to the newer larger ships then! My last few cruises have been on the Elation and Sunshine, and the A/C isn't get on those. 

I definitely noticed a difference on vista class and newer. Also less closets. My theory has been one less closet.

larger AC.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We had a cabin on the Breeze in 2022 that would never cool very well (and this was in November). We had maintenance come look at it but they said it was normal. I think they measured it at 74F, which is ok during the day, but not really good for sleeping. We were with another couple whose cabin was noticeably cooler than ours so we knew it wasn't the system as a whole but probably something with that particular cabin. We've sailed on the Breeze again twice in 2023 and once this year without problem but we made sure we got a different cabin 🙂

Edited by mamiamjo