Whittier

tkwbear

Back in the good old days, cruise ships used Seward as the main turnaround port in Alaska. Seward is one of the prettiest towns in the world, with plenty of things to do, including some very good restaurants.

Now the Carnival family of cruises uses Whittier. I have the misfortune to be stuck there for a day, as I am doing a back to back out of Vancouver. When I first visited Alaska, my Fodor tour book had a small write-up on Whittier, which ended by saying they didn't recommend a visit. I was there last year and didn't leave the ship.

This year I have a car rental but it's $275 for the partial day through Avis, when you add fuel and the tunnel toll, that's more than $300. Can anyone recommend a different plan? I've considered the 26 Glacier Tour but while I like glaciers, I would prefer one more like the Kenai Fjords tour in Seward that has plenty of wildlife as well. The few tours offered by the ship are also ridiculously expensive.

• Like 1

There are lots of wildlife/glacier tours out of Whittier—we like the shorter Glacier Discovery cruise from Phillips.  Lazy Otter Charters has a number of wildlife cruises as well as guided kayak tours.

Do you like to hike?  You can hike the Portage Trail (trailhead is close to the port).  Kayak?  Jet ski?  

We’ve done the back to back a number of times and have always found something to do in Whittier.  Last year we kayaked and took a wildlife cruise.  This year we’re hiking.  And, we always eat at Swiftwater Seafood Cafe.  Great fresh seafood!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, tkwbear said:

Back in the good old days, cruise ships used Seward as the main turnaround port in Alaska. Seward is one of the prettiest towns in the world, with plenty of things to do, including some very good restaurants.

Now the Carnival family of cruises uses Whittier. I have the misfortune to be stuck there for a day, as I am doing a back to back out of Vancouver. When I first visited Alaska, my Fodor tour book had a small write-up on Whittier, which ended by saying they didn't recommend a visit. I was there last year and didn't leave the ship.

This year I have a car rental but it's $275 for the partial day through Avis, when you add fuel and the tunnel toll, that's more than $300. Can anyone recommend a different plan? I've considered the 26 Glacier Tour but while I like glaciers, I would prefer one more like the Kenai Fjords tour in Seward that has plenty of wildlife as well. The few tours offered by the ship are also ridiculously expensive.

Not sure what you consider the good old days, as when I started cruising Alaska in the 1970's with Princess, we never went North of Icy Straight, as all cruises were R/T Vancouver. Every subsequent cruise, as a pax with Princess the ships used Whittier as the turnaround port.

I am aware that additional Carnival brands are now switching to Whittier, sharing the docks with Princess, so not all Carnival brands have always used Seward.

Spent the day in Whittier many times. As previously mentioned, the Phillips 26 Glacier tour is an exceptional day and is an easy walk from the ship. Walking around the town is also enjoyable, but it certainly isn't the tourist trap of SE Alaska.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

All the Carnival brands did use Seward because Whittier could not accommodate a cruise ship back then. Seeing the ships in Seward when I visited there got me interested in cruising. I personally saw Carnival, Princess and Holland America ships there. My first cruise was from Seward on the Ryndam.

4 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Not sure what you consider the good old days, as when I started cruising Alaska in the 1970's with Princess, we never went North of Icy Straight, as all cruises were R/T Vancouver. Every subsequent cruise, as a pax with Princess the ships used Whittier as the turnaround port.

I am aware that additional Carnival brands are now switching to Whittier, sharing the docks with Princess, so not all Carnival brands have always used Seward.

Spent the day in Whittier many times. As previously mentioned, the Phillips 26 Glacier tour is an exceptional day and is an easy walk from the ship. Walking around the town is also enjoyable, but it certainly isn't the tourist trap of SE Alaska.

2 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

All the Carnival brands did use Seward because Whittier could not 

Love Whittier!  I have been on the 26 Glacier cruise many times.  I’ve also spent a lot of time in Seward, and done most of the tours as well as spending quite a bit of time in both places on private and research boats.  I much prefer Whittier.  It’s great on a turnaround day.  I can do laundry, wander through town, eat at the Swiftwater Cafe, go for a hike, or just sit somewhere and enjoy the day.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Thanks OP for this thread. NCL will be using Whittier for the first time ever starting in April 2025, and I've been doing some limited research and what is available to do there. It'll be my turnaround day coming up from Florida through the Panama Canal, followed by a 7-night southbound to Vancouver. We are there roughly from 5am to 8pm, and I'm not sure what time the turnaround passengers will have to disembark to clear for re-embarkation. 

Lots of great suggestions on tours, including the option to eat at the Swiftwater Seafood Cafe. For those that have dined there, how was the walk from the cruise ship terminal?

Edited by dmwnc1959

1 hour ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Lots of great suggestions on tours, including the option to eat at the Swiftwater Seafood Cafe. For those that have dined there, how was the walk from the cruise ship terminal?

Expensive.  Stops for coffee, ice cream, home made fudge, local gifts, and a really cool hardware, marine supply, and souvenir store.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wolfie11 said:

Expensive.  Stops for coffee, ice cream, home made fudge, local gifts, and a really cool hardware, marine supply, and souvenir store.

I imagine the turnaround day passengers will be back on board roughly by 1030am. Would love to get out and off of the ship for several hours and enjoy the local economy and some tasty lunch. According to Google maps it is about a 12 minute walk over to the Swiftwater Seafood Café. There doesn't look like there's anything at all in regards to a 'town' where some of the things you mentioned are available, are there local shops that you can specifically point out?

7 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

I imagine the turnaround day passengers will be back on board roughly by 1030am. Would love to get out and off of the ship for several hours and enjoy the local economy and some tasty lunch. According to Google maps it is about a 12 minute walk over to the Swiftwater Seafood Café. There doesn't look like there's anything at all in regards to a 'town' where some of the things you mentioned are available, are there local shops that you can specifically point out?

These places are all located along the dock on the walk to the Swiftwater Cafe.  There are no customs or immigration to clear in Whittier.  You can get on and off the ship all day.  I also really like the shorter boat tour offered to Blackstone Bay.  There’s a small museum in Begich Tower, which is where 95% of the residents live and a dive bar in the old hotel.  In the old days they used to let the crew off at around 2am to go party at the bar, but I don’t think they do that anymore.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, wolfie11 said:

These places are all located along the dock on the walk to the Swiftwater Cafe.  There are no customs or immigration to clear in Whittier.  You can get on and off the ship all day.  I also really like the shorter boat tour offered to Blackstone Bay.  There’s a small museum in Begich Tower, which is where 95% of the residents live and a dive bar in the old hotel.  In the old days they used to let the crew off at around 2am to go party at the bar, but I don’t think they do that anymore.

The shorter excursion to Blackstone Bay I had also looked at, but it appears we will be there before the tours start up for the season. When all is said and done I'll probably opt for a chill-day and just enjoy the local offerings and a scenic walk-about. 

We are doing the same back to back this summer with a day in Whittier. I had found an app based electric bike rental service that is located right outside the fudge shop in town. We will probably rent the bikes to ride around and then go on a hike, and possibly lunch at the seafood market others mentioned.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

In 2003 and before - Princess used Seward instead of Whittier. I remember my 2nd cruise in Alaska (on Coral Princess) used Seward. I think it was 2004 that Princess started using Whittier.

Edited by Coral

3 hours ago, Coral said:

In 2003 and before - Princess used Seward instead of Whittier. I remember my 2nd cruise in Alaska (on Coral Princess) used Seward. I think it was 2004 that Princess started using Whittier.

Thanks, that was when I had about a 10 yr gap between working, then as a pax.

• Like 1

If not the glacier tour and as someone else mentioned, the Portage Pass Trail is a good short hike. The trailhead is just over a one mile walk along the waterfront. Although the trail goes over the pass and down to Portage Glacier, just hiking to the top gives you fantastic views of Passage Canal down one side and Portage Glacier down the other.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm doing HAL northbound in June. Is there time to do anything in Whittier? It seems like we're off the boat and on the train to Denali early in the morning.

10 hours ago, talpostal said:

I'm doing HAL northbound in June. Is there time to do anything in Whittier? It seems like we're off the boat and on the train to Denali early in the morning.

You won't have time to do anything. Some of those train departures happen between 6-7 am.

On 5/8/2024 at 2:34 PM, wolfie11 said:

Can you share what company you used for the boat tour to Blackstone Bay?  I googled it and found Phillip's Cruises.  Thank you.

9 hours ago, rcprncss said:

Can you share what company you used for the boat tour to Blackstone Bay?  I googled it and found Phillip's Cruises.  Thank you.

There used to be 2 companies in Whittier and now I believe there is only one, Phillip's Cruises.