Customs in Seattle port

We returned from an Alaskan cruise on Carnival Spirit yesterday.  The cruise ended at the Smith Cove Cruise Terminal at Pier 91in Seattle.  After we picked up our luggage in the terminal and headed out of the building, we were surprised that we didn't notice anyone around from U.S. CBP.  The only person that we saw after picking up the luggage was someone telling people that the right lane was for porters only.  Everyone just walked out of the building into the parking lot.  When we got on the shuttle to the airport, I asked some of the other passengers if they went through Customs, thinking maybe somehow I got in a wrong line and 'sneaked' past them without noticing (or being noticed).   Everyone on the bus agreed that they hadn't seen them ether.

We had a later flight, so we weren't some of the first people off the ship.  We left after self assist, port valet, and groups 1,2,and 3, but there were still plenty of people coming off behind us.  I realize just because I didn't see them, doesn't mean they didn't see me, and there could be cameras everywhere, but it still seemed strange.  I thought the facial recognition cameras on our last few cruises saved a lot of time, but this took it to a whole new level with the doors wide open so you could just walk out. 

Is this something new?  Are we somehow being 'prescreened' before we get off the ship?  Will this be at other ports in the future?  Or did I happen to get off the ship just as all of the CBP officers were on a lunch break?

I was on this cruise also and got off right around 730 a.m. after seeing tons of luggage in the elevator areas. There was no facial recognition or even a customs agent when we left. 

Same thing for Charleston the last several cruises from there... they told us to have our passport and birth certificates out and ready, then it was an empty building besides the luggage handlers.

Not sure why CBP Officers were not present.  There usually is a quick check of everyone's passports / birth certificates.  We have the Luminosa in port today, so it will be interesting to see what happens with those passengers.

Not sure if you knew, but there was a death on the Spirit and that caused a bit of a delay for disembarkation and embarkation.  I have no details beyond that.

I believe now, if you sign up for facial recognition at check in and you enter your passport information, you no longer need to go through customs.

At least, that is how it has been on my last four cruises in Florida.

I could be wrong though.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cruiseman38 said:

I believe now, if you sign up for facial recognition at check in and you enter your passport information, you no longer need to go through customs.

That might be possible, so when you scan your sail and sign card as you exit Carnival has all your information including passport information.  And when you sign up for 'Smile and Go' you also agree to let Carnival share your information with CBP, so technically there would be no need to check again after you got off.  But, what about all of the people that didn't sign up for Smile and Go?  I would think there should have still been someone to verify all of those.

Edited by Old Fart Cruisers
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Not sure why CBP Officers were not present.  There usually is a quick check of everyone's passports / birth certificates.  We have the Luminosa in port today, so it will be interesting to see what happens with those passengers.

Not sure if you knew, but there was a death on the Spirit and that caused a bit of a delay for disembarkation and embarkation.  I have no details beyond that.

With our wide open borders it really seems to be a moot point now. At least our id was checked before we boarded. We were told it was going to be an hour later boarding for the April 23rd trip but when I got there at 11 everything was already moving along. Guess the crew customs check went well 😉 .