First Cruise (Aug). Overwhelmed. First Steps?

Agrajag27

Posted (edited)

We're going on our first cruise ever after a lifetime of thinking I'd get to it at some point and now, decades later, finally getting there. We're starting light with a 7-night cruise on Seashore out of Port Canaveral and heading to Ocean Cay and two Mexico stops.

We decided to try out the Aurea experience in a Balcony Suite with drinks/wifi and upgraded to Premium drinks. We expect we won't do that going forward, but felt the stress of spending too much was less than the angst of wishing we had. 

So, at this point we're both overwhelmed. What do we do immediately upon getting aboard with a 12pm boarding slot and thus 5 hours to fill in before embarking? We have no idea if much of the ship is accessible at that point. Are the buffets up and going? Are the venues all open? Are pools accessible? I do know we want to check Wifi immediately and book certain things, but that raises other confusion.

The thermal suite, for example, confuses both of us. What the heck do you do in a snowsuite? We obviously won't be bringing winter gear and sitting in a freezing room for any time in shorts seems an odd thing to bring one pleasure -- and still we want to experience it, but can't imagine just walking in, going "that's cold" and walking out. I love the sound of some of the showers, but is that an experience or is that a shower after a sauna? And given all this, when do you want to book them for? Immediately? That night? Times? How long do these things in there last? What will it conflict with? There seems so much competing for your time that FOMO seems inevitable. How does everyone overcome it?

Other non-first day questions:

We apparently get two Gala dinners so seems a bad idea to book a Specialty restaurant for those nights, and are we expected to dress up? If so, to what degree? Business Casual? Sportscoat and slacks okay? Truly formal? 

How do most people go about planning out their detailed itinerary? It sounds like we won't really know what the schedule is until we're on the ship and given the WiFi restrictions, I planned to use my phone for the device, but doing itineraries on it seems like torture. Is there a third-party app that helps with organizing this? Their own app is barely working for us 87 days out. Constant errors and it doesn't seem to know about our upgrades though Support swears they're still in there, but in another area. Given all this, I'd be surprised if it's a good tool for handling itineraries. I just HATE not having a detailed plan. Just running into things around the ship isn't my cup of tea.

Thanks for ANY insight in helping to make this a better experience. Already signed up for Voyagers Club (though the app doesn't seem to realize it).

Edited by Agrajag27
  • Like 1

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  When you enter the terminal there will be a sign for Diamond and Aurea.  Follow the signs or ask.  There is a separate checkin line upstairs.  Once on the ship, go to your cabin and drop off your carryon bags.  Then go and explore the ship.  I suggest you go to cruisedeckplans.com and creat a pdf of the public decks, print it off in color.  It’s always a good idea to have a visual of where things are.

The buffet will be open for lunch and will probably be crowded until they announce cabins are open.  (When you drop off your luggage, don’t stay…).  The pools will probably be open.  
   On the Gala nights, do not stress about clothing.  Long pants and a collared shirt is all that is necessary, but many will dress up more, especially the ladies, in particular those from Europe.  And there will be a lot of European guests onboard.  They tend to dress with more care, even during the day…if you like to dress up, by all means do so.  
   I did this itinerary on Seashore in Dec. and did a Live from thread.  I will be repeating it on the June 23 sailing and again doing a Live from.  Pictures of the ship, menus…sometimes activity sheets.  I have been to these ports many times so I don’t do excursions.  
   I can’t help you with the Spa, but I’m sure someone will be along to help you out.  
  Don’t try to do everything.  A vacation should be relaxing…. EM

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Just joined cruisedeckplans.com. Was wondering if there was something like this, so thanks!

I take it from what you said that our larger bags will be delivered to our room?

Also, are you saying that our cabin may not be open at the time we get onboard, and thus, it's good to make better use of that time?

Also looking forward to your live views.

Edited by Agrajag27

1 hour ago, Agrajag27 said:

We're going on our first cruise ever after a lifetime of thinking I'd get to it at some point and now, decades later, finally getting there. We're starting light with a 7-night cruise on Seashore out of Port Canaveral and heading to Ocean Cay and two Mexico stops.

We decided to try out the Aurea experience in a Balcony Suite with drinks/wifi and upgraded to Premium drinks. We expect we won't do that going forward, but felt the stress of spending too much was less than the angst of wishing we had. 

So, at this point we're both overwhelmed. What do we do immediately upon getting aboard with a 12pm boarding slot and thus 5 hours to fill in before embarking? We have no idea if much of the ship is accessible at that point. Are the buffets up and going? Are the venues all open? Are pools accessible? I do know we want to check Wifi immediately and book certain things, but that raises other confusion.

The thermal suite, for example, confuses both of us. What the heck do you do in a snowsuite? We obviously won't be bringing winter gear and sitting in a freezing room for any time in shorts seems an odd thing to bring one pleasure -- and still we want to experience it, but can't imagine just walking in, going "that's cold" and walking out. I love the sound of some of the showers, but is that an experience or is that a shower after a sauna? And given all this, when do you want to book them for? Immediately? That night? Times? How long do these things in there last? What will it conflict with? There seems so much competing for your time that FOMO seems inevitable. How does everyone overcome it?

Other non-first day questions:

We apparently get two Gala dinners so seems a bad idea to book a Specialty restaurant for those nights, and are we expected to dress up? If so, to what degree? Business Casual? Sportscoat and slacks okay? Truly formal? 

How do most people go about planning out their detailed itinerary? It sounds like we won't really know what the schedule is until we're on the ship and given the WiFi restrictions, I planned to use my phone for the device, but doing itineraries on it seems like torture. Is there a third-party app that helps with organizing this? Their own app is barely working for us 87 days out. Constant errors and it doesn't seem to know about our upgrades though Support swears they're still in there, but in another area. Given all this, I'd be surprised if it's a good tool for handling itineraries. I just HATE not having a detailed plan. Just running into things around the ship isn't my cup of tea.

Thanks for ANY insight in helping to make this a better experience. Already signed up for Voyagers Club (though the app doesn't seem to realize it).

We were on the Seashore for 2 weeks last month and we only had 1 formal night each week. Also the appworks so much better once you are onboard the ship.

9 hours ago, Agrajag27 said:

I just HATE not having a detailed plan. Just running into things around the ship isn't my cup of tea.

There is a daily planner listing hour by hour all the happenings around the ship.

Welcome! So your arrival time is noon, so if embarkation is on time and smooth you should be onboard no later then 1pm. Some tips for embarkations day:

If you are a pool person, pack your bathing suites in your carry on, or even my wife wears her bikini on under her shorts and tank top so you can enjoy the pool once you get onboard. 

If you can, eat breakfast before you board as the buffet will be an utter S*IT SHOW embarkation day. Wait till later in the afternoon to grab a bite. 

If you haven't done so, make specialty dining reservations if you plan to eat at them. Longer you wait the more of a chance time slots fill up.

Now, not sure how big of a drinker you are but boarding at 1pm my advise is pace yourself lol. I can honestly say after being on who know s how many cruise there have been times that I am so excited when boarding that I over indulge a bit to much and end up in bed by 7pm lol. 

It is exciting watching and reading about others first cruises. I remember taking my wife on her first cruise (when we were dating) and the look on her face pulling up to the port, walking up the gangway and then onboard was one of the greatest experiences. Was even funnier when she asked how much the drinks were, and when I told her nothing as we have the drink package to see her give that devilish smile lol. 

Remember, whether you want to plan minute by minute each part of your day or are now like us where we don't plan anything onboard and take us where the wind blows, enjoy yourself and have fun!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One other thing when assembling your wardrobe:  every MSC cruise has a White Night, where everyone is encouraged to wear something white.  It does not need to be fancy, you will see everything from white shorts with a tshirt, to fancy white dresses.  Some people have a lot of ‘fun’ with it.  Last year on Seaside I positioned myself for good people watching, and saw a woman wearing something like a white leotard, and over it she had a transparent white netting/tulle gathered floor length skirt.  Another was a group of ladies all in white, though not identical outfits.  But each one was wearing a pixie cut wig in different neon colors…pink, yellow, green, blue, etc.  they appeared to be having a lot of fun.  
   I splurge and buy the basic Wi-Fi for two devices, using my iPhone and iPad mini.  I think you can use the MSC for Me app without being connected to WiFi.  I prefer to take the iPad to the  MDR as reading the menu is easier on the larger device.  EM

2 hours ago, wolft927 said:

If you are a pool person, pack your bathing suites in your carry on, or even my wife wears her bikini on under her shorts and tank top so you can enjoy the pool once you get onboard 

So there's some delay to getting your luggage in your room? I guess that makes sense with potentially 5,000 people on board. I assumed we'd head right our rooms first and the stuff would magically be there somehow and then off to wherever. 

If you can, eat breakfast before you board as the buffet will be an utter S*IT SHOW embarkation day. Wait till later in the afternoon to grab a bite. 

So it's not like on TV where there are like food tables scattered around the ship? Are the buffets only in the MAIN dining rooms? (I think there are just 3) I assumed there would be smaller versions of them at some bars and such. Guess not.

If you haven't done so, make specialty dining reservations if you plan to eat at them. Longer you wait the more of a chance time slots fill up.

Definitely doing that, but deciding on how many. Thinking with 7 nights, maybe two or three. I'm VERY put off if I'm reading this right, that if you buy the Specialty food packages they are specific to restaurants. I'm not interested in Mexican or Hibachi (we have a lot of great ones here at home), but can't get just Sushi, Steak and Seafood. And then the whole thing with those plans limiting your menu and if the discount OFF-menu (which we'd do for sure) is worth the price.

Now, not sure how big of a drinker you are but boarding at 1pm my advise is pace yourself lol. I can honestly say after being on who know s how many cruise there have been times that I am so excited when boarding that I over indulge a bit to much and end up in bed by 7pm lol.

We're social drinkers, but this is surely social and we'll be with our best friends so this is huge advice. The friends think we've gone 100% low-end to see how things go. We're paying for most of it and are surprising them by upgrading most everything. Looking forward to the same sort of wondrous looks that you experienced.

Posted (edited)

Gotta say Debbie, that this is both great and also overwhelming. My wife will implode when she sees these sheets as she'll want to go over every line item and make sure we're not missing anything. Will we really only get these the morning of? 

Edited by Agrajag27

1 minute ago, Agrajag27 said:

Gotta say Debbie, that this is both great and also overwhelming. My wife will implode when she sees these sheets as she'll want to go over every line item and make sure we're not missing anything. Will we really only get these the morning of? 

You will get your 1st one when you embark for that day.....the rest will be left sometime in the evening for the next day.  I pack highlighters and mark stuff I would like to do the night before I go to bed or the next morning as I'm drinking coffee.  It may look overwhelming, but it's really not too bad.  

9 minutes ago, Agrajag27 said:

So there's some delay to getting your luggage in your room? I guess that makes sense with potentially 5,000 people on board. I assumed we'd head right our rooms first and the stuff would magically be there somehow and then off to wherever. 

So it's not like on TV where there are like food tables scattered around the ship? Are the buffets only in the MAIN dining rooms? (I think there are just 3) I assumed there would be smaller versions of them at some bars and such. Guess not.

Definitely doing that, but deciding on how many. Thinking with 7 nights, maybe two or three. I'm VERY put off if I'm reading this right, that if you buy the Specialty food packages they are specific to restaurants. I'm not interested in Mexican or Hibachi (we have a lot of great ones here at home), but can't get just Sushi, Steak and Seafood. And then the whole thing with those plans limiting your menu and if the discount OFF-menu (which we'd do for sure) is worth the price.

We're social drinkers, but this is surely social and we'll be with our best friends so this is huge advice. The friends think we've gone 100% low-end to see how things go. We're paying for most of it and are surprising them by upgrading most everything. Looking forward to the same sort of wondrous looks that you experienced.

I have to say your responses to these made me giggle lol.  If you google msc seashore buffet, you will get a good idea of the buffet offerings.  If you look at a deck plan, you will see the buffet is it's own thing and location, not held in any of the MDR's.  Also if you google msc seashore daily program, you will probably be able to see a sampling of all 7 days for a sailing.  They are generally pretty similar from sailing to sailing with maybe just specific entertainment like comedians changing.

19 minutes ago, CruisnDeb said:

I have to say your responses to these made me giggle lol.

That's what new people are for! 

19 minutes ago, CruisnDeb said:

If you google msc seashore buffet, you will get a good idea of the buffet offerings.  If you look at a deck plan, you will see the buffet is it's own thing and location,

I went on that deck plan site, but don't recall seeing anything market as a buffet area. Then again, oddly, that sight didn't seem to show several things, like the Solarium area or the Thermal area.

One funny thing happened. A friend heard we were doing MSC and wrote to say she was surprised as MSC doesn't (as far as she new) do movies in a cinema onboard. I'm a literal full-time film critic so that LAST thing I want to do on a cruise is sit in a theater to see a movie, especially when I've already seen it. Could be a big plus for MSC with me!

So they have a buffet for thousands of people at ONE location? Wow. I literally had this image of food being out at every bar area and such nearly 24/7. Wild expectations reset.

I also didn't realize our Aurea anytime meals are in one specific restaurant. Kinda cool. Going to assume even though they're anytime, they still likely need reservations.

Me thinks you are over thinking this..you’ll be just fine..watch a few you tube videos…relax…

You also have access to a bar up top for Aurea guests and above…

• Like 1

Just now, Agrajag27 said:

So they have a buffet for thousands of people at ONE location? Wow. I literally had this image of food being out at every bar area and such nearly 24/7. Wild expectations reset.

I also didn't realize our Aurea anytime meals are in one specific restaurant. Kinda cool. Going to assume even though they're anytime, they still likely need reservations.

Yep, take pack your patience along with your highlighters lol.  There are busy times and yes, some people will rudely push their way in front of you, but honestly, if you try to go at the not so busy times, it's not bad.  If you look at the daily program I posted earlier, you will see hours listed for all venues including restaurants.  Usually one of the MDRs is open for a sitdown breakfast, which can be nice.

My husband and I had Aurea experience on our first MSC cruise on the Divina.  We did not need reservations for that cruise, we just walked up to the hostess stand and were walked directly to our table.

1 minute ago, PTC DAWG said:

Me thinks you are over thinking this..you’ll be just fine..watch a few you tube videos…relax…

There was never a chance of that not being the case with this. You should see us plan Disney. heheh My father-in-law loves to tell people he thinks of it "fondly" as the Bataan Death March.

2 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

You also have access to a bar up top for Aurea guests and above…

Agreed.....but I always overthink my vacations lol.  I just like knowing what to expect going in.  @PTC DAWG is correct in that watching some videos of the ship will help.

56 minutes ago, Agrajag27 said:

Somebody else already mentioned it but it's worth repeating. Don't try to do everything. If you do you will be coming home exhausted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CruisnDeb said:

Usually one of the MDRs is open for a sitdown breakfast, which can be nice.

Would love that. Good way to start the day. Plus we have that other couple, so a good way to reorient for the day. The only bummer we had is they recommended a specific pair of rooms to keep us away from noise (very nice rep) and the SLIGHT bummer is that we're in rooms with one room between us and that adjoins to our room. Soooo close. In the end, irrelevant. 

1 minute ago, CruisnDeb said:

My husband and I had Aurea experience on our first MSC cruise on the Divina.  We did not need reservations for that cruise, we just walked up to the hostess stand and were walked directly to our table.

Now that would be ideal, of course.

2 minutes ago, CruisnDeb said:

Agreed.....but I always overthink my vacations lol.  I just like knowing what to expect going in.  @PTC DAWG is correct in that watching some videos of the ship will help.

I've watched about two dozen already. Seeing a ton. 

10 minutes ago, Agrajag27 said:

no reservations needed. Just show up between the hours listed and you will be good.