Pusser’s Painkiller Report

Well, I am sad to say that the Pusser’s Painkiller is off my menu. When I first had one it was delicious and refreshing. When I had one on the NA after Covid, it was awful. I just had one on the Rotterdam and it’s still awful. Tastes like it was made with tequila instead of rum. I went back to the Lido bar and asked them to verify. She asked if I wanted more rum in it, but that wasn’t the problem. I wonder if the rum manufacturer changed their product. 

I’m very sad, but they do make a great Harvey Wallbanger, so I’ll drink those instead. 
🙁

• Thanks 1

We had them in the Crow's Nest on the Rotterdam in April. They were scratch made, and excellent. Sorry to hear they weren't up to par.

The Pusser's Rum hasn't changed. We had Painkillers on the Nieuw Statendam in December and they were ungood. They were also made of a mix and the Pusser's. I've made Painkillers (in the lab) and they don't stay mixed, so scratch mixing is key.

1 minute ago, POA1 said:

We had them in the Crow's Nest on the Rotterdam in April. They were scratch made, and excellent. Sorry to hear they weren't up to par.

The Pusser's Rum hasn't changed. We had Painkillers on the Nieuw Statendam in December and they were ungood. They were also made of a mix and the Pusser's. I've made Painkillers (in the lab) and they don't stay mixed, so scratch mixing is key.

Good to know! I might head up there next and tell them “I heard on good authority…” ☺️

• Like 1

@POA1 - BINGO! I went to the Crow’s Nest and mentioned how awful they were from the Lido and he made me one that was spectacular! He said his name was Pom Pom but I think his name tag said Soemkoek. 

Mission complete. 🤗

• Like 10

Well, I needed another dose to kill the pain so I went back to the Crow’s Nest ☺️

Bartender’s name is Soemsak. Great guy. Made the second dose as good as the first. I’m going to fill out the Let Us Know to let them know how much difference there is between the Lido and the Crow’s Nest drinks. 

Now, for my next mission - find those cool canvas bags that they DON’T give you in steerage… Anyone on board feel like donating a couple for me and my roomie? 😉

• Haha 1

I drank Painkillers on Nieuw Amsterdam last summer and they were good.  Looking forward to trying them again at the end of the month on Westerdam.  I'm just mad that they raised the price so that they now are no longer fully covered by HIA.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Navybikermom said:

@POA1 - BINGO! I went to the Crow’s Nest and mentioned how awful they were from the Lido and he made me one that was spectacular! He said his name was Pom Pom but I think his name tag said Soemkoek. 

Mission complete. 🤗

Our Crow's Nest bartender was a woman. Super nice and made a great Painkiller. She even got one of the servers to carry our drinks out to the Retreat Cabana area on a tray so I would not have to worry about spilling them. (If I carry them and they're full, I wind up sucking the rum floater off the top to get the drink down to a manageable level. Not the best idea.)

Anyway... I asked if she could make them from scratch. She did, and like you said, a world of difference.

Happy to help another dedicated researcher.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Navybikermom said:

Well, I needed another dose to kill the pain so I went back to the Crow’s Nest ☺️

Bartender’s name is Soemsak. Great guy. Made the second dose as good as the first. I’m going to fill out the Let Us Know to let them know how much difference there is between the Lido and the Crow’s Nest drinks. 

Now, for my next mission - find those cool canvas bags that they DON’T give you in steerage… Anyone on board feel like donating a couple for me and my roomie? 😉

Cabinmate on NS last year (Nov/Dec) said the Painkiller was so bad it was "1 & done" for her. Next cruise, I'll have her try the Crow's Nest. Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Navybikermom said:

Mission complete. 🤗

Will look for him next month. I love a Pain Killer. 

• Like 1

Thank you for your valuable research @Navybikermom. On our Zaandam voyage I had my Painkillers mostly in Ocean Bar, and the Crow's Nest. We rarely had drinks at the Lido. My usual cocktail at home is a Caesar but away from Canada that is an unusual thing, and the Bloody Mary is not an acceptable substitute for me. Thanks again for reminding us all that the quality of the cocktail is directly proportional to the skill of the person mixing it.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, McDeb2119 said:

Will look for him next month. I love a Pain Killer. 

I had the same experience loved the first hated the second (no nutmeg please) so went on to my second favorite Lemon drop for the rest of the cruise.

Will try your tips next time.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

Cabinmate on NS last year (Nov/Dec) said the Painkiller was so bad it was "1 & done" for her. Next cruise, I'll have her try the Crow's Nest. Thanks for the tip.

I don't think the bar location is the key. It's whether they make the drink from scratch, or if the juices and cream of coconut are mixed ahead of time.

We had painkillers at Pusser's pub in Tortola years ago. We really liked them, so we started making them at home. If you try to mix all the ingredients except for the rum ahead of time, the drink "breaks" - or doesn't stay mixed well. You can make a big batch, but you need to drink the big batch right away. (For a party, not for a half gallon, one man cocktail.)

If the bar is making them from scratch, they'll be good. If there's a big ol' jug o' mix, give it a pass. (Or ask for them to make your drink fresh. I never do that at a really busy bar, because I don't want to hold up other people, who may be ordering beer or simple drinks.)

Here's what should be in the drink. All the wet ingredients are shaken, then poured over ice and topped with nutmeg. If you shake it with a lot of ice, it'll be thin and sadness will ensue.

Ingredients

2-ounces (60 ml) Pusser’s Rum
    4-ounces (120 ml) pineapple juice
    1-ounce (30 ml) orange juice
    1-ounce (30 ml) cream of coconut
    Freshly grated nutmeg

HAL uses the correct recipe. It's the timing and execution that make or break the beverage.

Edited by POA1
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Best Painkiller that I ever tasted was at Marriott Waterfront Hotel, Pusser's Caribbean Grille, in Annapolis, Maryland. Discovered the wonderful drink at a boat show and returned annually to boat show for several years just to taste the best Painkiller IMO.

I don't think it's the recipes so much as the inexperienced bartenders. Princess made a hideous grasshopper for me a couple of years ago, the people I were with during sail away tasted it and couldn't discern what it was either.  And on this same cruise, they served me bloody mary mix instead of plain ol tomato juice and tried telling me it was the same thing like I just fell off the tomato truck itself.  Maybe I just had bad luck.  HAL is usually pretty good.

On 5/16/2024 at 6:31 AM, POA1 said:

I don't think the bar location is the key. It's whether they make the drink from scratch, or if the juices and cream of coconut are mixed ahead of time.

We had painkillers at Pusser's pub in Tortola years ago. We really liked them, so we started making them at home. If you try to mix all the ingredients except for the rum ahead of time, the drink "breaks" - or doesn't stay mixed well. You can make a big batch, but you need to drink the big batch right away. (For a party, not for a half gallon, one man cocktail.)

If the bar is making them from scratch, they'll be good. If there's a big ol' jug o' mix, give it a pass. (Or ask for them to make your drink fresh. I never do that at a really busy bar, because I don't want to hold up other people, who may be ordering beer or simple drinks.)

Here's what should be in the drink. All the wet ingredients are shaken, then poured over ice and topped with nutmeg. If you shake it with a lot of ice, it'll be thin and sadness will ensue.

Ingredients

Freshly grated nutmeg

HAL uses the correct recipe. It's the timing and execution that make or break the beverage.

Thanks so much - very helpful. 

3 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

I'll stick with a Wang Wang.

I finally tried one last month and wow talk about strong! One drink definitely lasts for a couple hours of sipping. 

Ingredients

• 3/4 oz. vodka
  • 3/4 oz. tequila
  • 3/4 oz. brandy
  • 3/4 oz. bourbon
  • 3/4 oz. scotch
  • 3/4 oz. rum
  • Cubed ice
  • 1 oz. orange juice
  • 1 oz. pineapple juice
  • Dash of grenadine
  • Like 1

On 5/16/2024 at 4:31 AM, POA1 said:

Ingredients

Freshly grated nutmeg

This sounds delicious and I will be asking for one when I’m aboard next week 👍🏼

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/16/2024 at 5:31 AM, POA1 said:

All the wet ingredients are shaken, then poured over ice and topped with nutmeg. If you shake it with a lot of ice, it'll be thin and sadness will ensue.

Ingredients

Freshly grated nutmeg

HAL uses the correct recipe.

The first time(s) I had a Pusser's Painkiller, which was probably on the Zuidy TA in 2019, it was presented as a frozen beverage (blended with the ice) -- repeatedly for the whole cruise. In the Crows Nest.

In December 2022, K'dam/Crows Nest, it was presented on the rocks as per your instructions. I do not know if it was fresh made! but I didn't like it so well. The bartender made me one blended, but it seemed a lot to ask so I switched to Mojitos for my boat-drink of the day.

Edited by crystalspin

Our first pain killer was at the Soggy Dollar Bar on Jost Van Dyke.  The captain and my husband and young children jumped out of the boat, swam to shore and came back with the delicious drink (of course the kids had virgin pina coladas).  We later stopped at Pusser's in Tortola and that's the recipe we use, it's printed on their coaster.  In January my husband had one on the Oosterdam at the Lido Bar and it was a one and done.  We'll definitely try other options on our next cruise.  Thanks for this fun thread!!!  Cherie

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Thanks Sueseabe for the link.  They also have a really fun online store.  We were there in the 90's.  Cherie

Edited by cccole
  • Like 1