HELP! How do I search for a topic

MomC

Hello all,

I am trying to research two topics so I don’t repeat a topic already discussed here.  Please point me in the right direction!

Thank you!

Honestly I get better results using google.  For example if you are wondering about the PH suite on Vista….try googling ‘cruise critic Oceania vista penthouse’. This manner seems to work best for me. Obviously not foolproof for all….also with regard to a specific ship search threads for that specific ship on here and then go through the pages. If not ship specific I’d recommend the google manner. Just what seems to work best for me. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Suppose I want to research specialty restaurant reservations.  Here are the steps I use:

• Be on the main Oceania board:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/29-oceania-cruises/
  • In the upper right hand corner there is a search box.  Type in:  specialty restaurant reservations.  On the right side of search box, make sure it says "This Forum" to search just the Oceania forum, rather than all forums.
  • What will come up is search results containing ANY of those words.  You want results that contain ALL those words, so you want to use AND connectives.  You can type in the AND between your search words, but right below the new search box Cruise Critic has done it for you, and you can just click on: specialty AND restaurant AND reservations

If this doesn't work for you, tell us what you want to search for, and we can show you how to do the search.

Edited by Torquer
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, EJL2023 said:

Honestly I get better results using google.  For example if you are wondering about the PH suite on Vista….try googling ‘cruise critic Oceania vista penthouse’. This manner seems to work best for me. Obviously not foolproof for all….also with regard to a specific ship search threads for that specific ship on here and then go through the pages. If not ship specific I’d recommend the google manner. Just what seems to work best for me. 

Definitely +1! The CC search function is not user friendly at all. Google, however, is. And to simplify, I would just search 'Oceania Vista penthouse' , and one or more of the results will almost always be from a CC thread.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EJL2023 said:

If you only want results from cruise critic, you can type site:cruisecritic.com search term.  This will work with any website as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Torquer said:

What will come up is search results containing ANY of those words.  You want results that contain ALL those words, so you want to use AND connectives.  You can type in the AND between your search words, but right below the new search box Cruise Critic has done it for you, and you can just click on: specialty AND restaurant AND reservations

THANK YOU!  I hadn't noticed this. 👍

6 hours ago, EJL2023 said:

I was given that advice recently and since I consider Google my best friend that's certainly what I'll do. As a matter of fact I just thought of a question 🙂

On 5/18/2024 at 12:10 PM, jazznruby said:

Definitely +1! The CC search function is not user friendly at all. Google, however, is. And to simplify, I would just search 'Oceania Vista penthouse' , and one or more of the results will almost always be from a CC thread.

Absolutely!  Their search function is awful. I find it extremely difficult to use.