Pay per drink cost?

1 hour ago, Dock B said:

I understand a corkage fee on a bottle I bring aboard and take to MDR, but they also say they (might?!?) charge corkage fee on a bottle I buy through the RC website prior to the cruise? 

As has been mentioned, a corkage fee is talked about but in real life experience, it's not charged.

Also, along the same line: I know we each can bring one bottle aboard at embarkation to be consumed in the cabin (or pay corkage if taken to consume somewhere else) but, can I bring on more than one each and just automatically pay corkage on the 3+ bottles? 
Again, there will more than likely not be a corkage fee for any bottle brought anywhere on the ship. You are allowed to bring only one bottle per person on the ship at embarkation. If you purchase a bottle in any port and bring it back to the ship, it will be confiscated and returned to you at the end of the cruise.

Thank you (and anyone else too!) for help with these questions.

BTW: I would think policy applies on all RC ships but if it matters, we’ll be on Harmony.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dock B said:

I understand a corkage fee on a bottle I bring aboard and take to MDR, but they also say they (might?!?) charge corkage fee on a bottle I buy through the RC website prior to the cruise?

That's the thing, there's no easy way that ship staff could tell the difference between a bottle brought on board vs a ship provided one.

Many years ago, when the corkage fee came back officially, the ship bought/provided bottles had a sticker on it making it more obvious where the bottle came from - that sticker has been gone for a long time.

• Thanks 1

On 5/19/2024 at 9:50 PM, vaindioux said:

Yes, beer would do.

So we can save money there.

Thxs again

If you're just planning on drinking domestic beers, and if you're not a raging alcoholic, then the drink package is likely not going to be a good purchase for you.  (My birthmother, on the other hand, would have made a killing off of paying $80/day for beer... that woman would easily drink a case a day all by herself.)  

On 5/20/2024 at 4:27 AM, vaindioux said:

Yes, i never count tips when calculating my prices, we are good tipsrs.

Also the package is getting 18% tip added, right?

Or are the 18% included?

Like anybody i can drink a fancy cocktail or 12 YO Chivas, but it’s not required.

2-4 domestic beers daily and i m fine.

My big thing is excursions where i use my money the most.

Thxs

Keep in mind that an 18% tip will be added onto the bottom of every receipt on the ship, so an $8 beer will actually come to $9.44.  If you toss in an extra dollar *in cash* with every drink, you'll get AMAZING service after that.  (It's not at all unusual for me to get a drink ahead of the 10 people who were at the Solarium Bar before me... the bartender sees me and knows what I want and pours it for me and hands it to me without a word being said, and smiles as he pockets my dollar bill each time.)  

Likewise, if the drink package is listed at $70 per day, it will actually come to $82.60 per day, if you're looking at American prices.  My understanding is that the prices quoted in Europe and Australia are inclusive of the 18% gratuity, but the USA and Canada websites list the price before the 18% is automatically added on.

10 hours ago, Dock B said:

Also, along the same line: I know we each can bring one bottle aboard at embarkation to be consumed in the cabin (or pay corkage if taken to consume somewhere else) but, can I bring on more than one each and just automatically pay corkage on the 3+ bottles? 

Thank you (and anyone else too!) for help with these questions.

BTW: I would think policy applies on all RC ships but if it matters, we’ll be on Harmony.

I've been cruising with Royal for over a decade and never known them to charge anybody the corkage fee, even though it is within their right to do so.  

A cash tip to the server who opens/pours is always appreciated, of course.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

A $316 bar bill for two people on a 12 night cruise is not even 1 Martini cocktail per day each. 

My Wife did have the cocktail of the day a few times otherwise we stick to beer!

On 5/20/2024 at 1:01 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

Don’t forget the automatic 18% tip added to every individual drink you buy. So 5x8x18%= $47.20. If you are not a beer drinker, you are more likely looking at 5x14x18%=$82.60. 

True, but note that they'll add 18% to the package too.  

On 5/20/2024 at 2:09 AM, sgmn said:

You can bring a bottle of wine each on board plus a limited amount of soft drinks. 

Yes, this muddies the waters.  Here are a couple things that won't matter to a heavy drinker, but can make a difference for the person who drinks more modestly:  

- If you're on a ship with Playmakers, a 60-oz pitcher of beer is $18.  

- You can buy a cooler full of beer (only from the Pool Bar), which is essentially buying 4 and getting 5.  

- If you're a Crown & Anchor member, you'll receive a couple 50% off coupons. 

- If you want cocktails but aren't fussy about what kind, the drink of the day is roughly 25% off the average cocktail price.  

- It's easy to bring a couple sodas or water bottles (even beer) back from the island stops.  Just don't get greedy.  

On 5/20/2024 at 2:09 AM, sgmn said:

Tea/coffee/hot chocolate/flavoured iced water/iced water  etc are all free.

Also lemonade and (sometimes) fruit punch.  Milk and juice are available for free at breakfast, and you can take them back to your room for later, if you like.  

If you get no package, you'll not be thirsty.  

Last thought:  Don't buy if you'll need to change your habits to "make it worthwhile".  For example, I don't drink juice and might drink 2 iced coffees over the course of a week -- it'd be foolish to say, "Yeah, because it's free I'm going to have juice and a couple coffees each day!"  

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Last thought:  Don't buy if you'll need to change your habits to "make it worthwhile".  For example, I don't drink juice and might drink 2 iced coffees over the course of a week -- it'd be foolish to say, "Yeah, because it's free I'm going to have juice and a couple coffees each day!"  

This. Even when I do a AI land vacation, I noticed that my drinking patterns don't change all that much. I might have a cocktail a day and a glass of wine with dinner. Water, juice, and coffee consumption stays the same. Forcing myself to drink just to get my money's worth makes zero sense to me, but different strokes for different folks, I guess.

• Like 3

On 5/20/2024 at 3:32 AM, vaindioux said:

More good points. You all know your stuff.

Indeed i m big on excursions so 3-4 days are on land.

In Nassau inside the port, there is a joint with 3 Bahamian beers for $10, and yes with tables and chair.

I drank 4, wife 2, I was a little lit 🤣

Thxs

If 4 beers gets you lit I'd say you won't get good value out of the DBP.  Just pay as you go and you will be fine.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

If 4 beers gets you lit I'd say you won't get good value out of the DBP.  Just pay as you go and you will be fine.

Another option -- if you find it convenient to pay off your drink package ahead of time or if the thought of a big bill is scary -- calculate the approximate cost of those 4 beers and buy yourself that amount of OBC.  Voila!  Your own right-sized drink package.  

• Like 1

If Royal hadn't dramatically increased the individual drink prices over the last 10 years it would be much easier to justify NOT getting the drink package.

I remember in 2014 when I could get Captains on ice for $6.50 including tip.  2015 is when the prices for drinks really started to skyrocket.  This not only pushed people to the drink package, but also incentivizes guests to try and cheat the system by sneaking alcohol...

Personally the drink package doesn't work for us.  I can hit it hard and get my monies worth one day, but then the next I'm dealing with the hangover and naturally take it slower.  Rinse, repeat.   I just can't sustain the amount required to justify the cost of it...

On 5/21/2024 at 10:34 AM, Nickles_1 said:

Forcing myself to drink just to get my money's worth makes zero sense to me, but different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Drinking a lot more in order to justify the DBP has its own downsides, or so I've heard. 😉🤣