The Time's They are a Changing

So many complaints about the food onboard.  I really think those in charge on O are trying to create restaurants that just don't appeal to Baby Boomers, who are their main customers but they're going to get too old to travel or worse yet they're going to die.  They have to look to the future.  Not 20- or 30-year-olds but 50- or 60-year-olds who are their next customers.

A food cart in Mexico City just received a Michelan Star.  You don't get a table yet alone a tablecloth but the food tastes good.  Not just good but Michelan Star good.  I've eaten at food carts in Mexico City, and I will have to say if you find a good one you will walk away very happy.

So many want the old school specialty dinners with a huge steak or several orders of escarole.  If that's what makes you happy then I think O should still make it available to you.  But I'm happy that there are now choices in what we eat.  When I go on a two week cruise I don't want a three course meal every night.  Sometimes I want something a little bit lighter and a pizza or a nice meal at Ember fills the bill.  My days of coming home gaining 10 pounds are over.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, iowananny said:

So many complaints about the food onboard.  I really think those in charge on O are trying to create restaurants that just don't appeal to Baby Boomers, who are their main customers but they're going to get too old to travel or worse yet they're going to die.  They have to look to the future.  Not 20- or 30-year-olds but 50- or 60-year-olds who are their next customers.

A food cart in Mexico City just received a Michelan Star.  You don't get a table yet alone a tablecloth but the food tastes good.  Not just good but Michelan Star good.  I've eaten at food carts in Mexico City, and I will have to say if you find a good one you will walk away very happy.

So many want the old school specialty dinners with a huge steak or several orders of escarole.  If that's what makes you happy then I think O should still make it available to you.  But I'm happy that there are now choices in what we eat.  When I go on a two week cruise I don't want a three course meal every night.  Sometimes I want something a little bit lighter and a pizza or a nice meal at Ember fills the bill.  My days of coming home gaining 10 pounds are over.

Do you believe the NoNos are able to control the ingredients at those Mexican food carts? If the NoNos were able to, how popular would they be? How many of the items on those food carts would the NoNos currently touch? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

That's a problem on O.  Believe me I took all my street cart food as is and glad I did.  Yeah, my mouth did burn for a while but it was a good burn.

• Like 1

I also challenge your assessment of the Baby Boomers. Oldest BBers were born in 1946 so at most 78 years old. Though part of the problem, I’ve been on several O cruises where being less than 80 puts one into the minority. We’re talking considerably older than BBers leading the pack of NoNos.

Pinot, this has nothing to do with the topic but have you ever tried Carlise Pinot Noir.  The best I've ever had.  When I see your name I just wonder.  It comes from Sonoma Co.

25 minutes ago, iowananny said:

Pinot, this has nothing to do with the topic but have you ever tried Carlise Pinot Noir.  The best I've ever had.  When I see your name I just wonder.  It comes from Sonoma Co.

I live in Sonoma County and haven’t tried that one….a lot of other really good ones, but not that. Will have to give it a try!  

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, iowananny said:

I know their Martaella PN well. Actually they are better known for their Syrah and Zin than their PN, they typically do a good job with their PN.

Edited by pinotlover

2 hours ago, iowananny said:

Lots of great Pinot Noirs in Sonoma County. Our favorites come from Martin Ray.

Getting back to the food, "O" has to realize that food is right at the top when on a cruise.  We all say location of ports, but you can pick any line to go some place.  "O" needs to cook food with flavor and taste to keep people booking.  We truly pick a cruise line foe were we want to go, but if they don't meet the the other requirements: Food, Service, Suites - we have more than one cruise to pick from no matter where we want to end up after the cruise.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

O has excellent food options.  Grand dining room is excellent. The menus are good, but old.  We have seen the same menus many times. To make it interesting, I often select an item that I haven’t had on previous cruises. We like to eat dinners in a variety of venues. First night I tried zucchini cakes.  Excellent.  My spouse loves the Jacques beef.  Last night we at the buffet.  Menu was Spain market. The offerings were very interesting.  It was very good.  Tonight we will eat at Toscana.  On our previous cruise on Vista, we liked the Waves pizza and Italian food at night.  Dining on Oceania provides an array of good choices.  It works for me.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, iowananny said:

They have to look to the future.  Not 20- or 30-year-olds but 50- or 60-year-olds who are their next customers.

Any catering operation, big or small, has to do this if it wants to survive. It needs to take account of mainstream food trends and slowly adapt menus to them. Unchanging menus are not interesting or exciting. 

When I was a child in the 1950s, few people travelled overseas for holidays and it wasnt until the advent of mass tourism in the late 60s that most folk were able to experience "foreign" food. And improvements in supply chain transport meant those new foods that folk had enjoyed could be readily bought by restaurants and, indeed, home cooks. 

Food and food tastes evolve.

• Like 1

Just yesterday, DW and I were doing some homework for a future cruise sometime in late summer/early fall of 2025.  I soon found myself doing research on Virgin Cruises, since they have an itinerary (23 days) that got my interest.  When I looked at some comments and sample menus on that line, my reaction was WOW!  Completely different, in a more modern cuisine way, than what I have experienced on other lines (with the possible exception of Explora Journeys).  Of course, I do not know if the food is "dumbed down" like many dishes on O (thank you, No no's).  But no question that Virgin has taken their cuisine to a much more contemporary world (they even have an upscale vegetarian restaurant).  The question still remains as to whether Virgin will be our 20th cruise line! 

Hank

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Just yesterday, DW and I were doing some homework for a future cruise sometime in late summer/early fall of 2025.  I soon found myself doing research on Virgin Cruises, since they have an itinerary (23 days) that got my interest.  When I looked at some comments and sample menus on that line, my reaction was WOW!  Completely different, in a more modern cuisine way, than what I have experienced on other lines (with the possible exception of Explora Journeys).  Of course, I do not know if the food is "dumbed down" like many dishes on O (thank you, No no's).  But no question that Virgin has taken their cuisine to a much more contemporary world (they even have an upscale vegetarian restaurant).  The question still remains as to whether Virgin will be our 20th cruise line! 

Hank

VV even has a Modern Mexican specialty restaurant. I suggested this for O some time back but was questioned by people whose view of Mexican food was limited to Taco Bell.

I liked VV but felt the food on O is better.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Redtravel said:

O has excellent food options.  Grand dining room is excellent. The menus are good, but old.  We have seen the same menus many times. To make it interesting, I often select an item that I haven’t had on previous cruises. We like to eat dinners in a variety of venues. First night I tried zucchini cakes.  Excellent.  My spouse loves the Jacques beef.  Last night we at the buffet.  Menu was Spain market. The offerings were very interesting.  It was very good.  Tonight we will eat at Toscana.  On our previous cruise on Vista, we liked the Waves pizza and Italian food at night.  Dining on Oceania provides an array of good choices.  It works for me.

Oh how opinions vary!

We also ate in the Terrace at the Spanish themed buffet last night and we were anything but impressed. The gazpacho was very ‘bready’, the fideua was more stodgy vermicelli than vegetable… ok flavour but not worth all those carby starches and little else. Overall very disappointing. Just our opinion!

Overall,after just two full days in food is a bit hit and miss for us so far. First night Red Ginger with duck salad back up to usual standard and chilli prawns hot. Last night gambas ajillo, no garlic but really spicy hot. I can’t see any of the food I’ve reported here that is cooked for ‘no-no’s’. In fact I think that’s a rather derogatory term. Tastes vary. We like ‘spicy’ and have not been disappointed so far with our choices. Maybe that’s the key … your choices!

Breakfast yesterday in the Terrace just too much hustle and bustle for us. Today GDR peaceful but well, pretty awful. Avocado toast and poached eggs : toast inedible couldn’t cut the crusts, eggs cold, barely cooked, avocado weird flavour. BUT… smoked salmon was perfect for us.

In Palma today weather very overcast so plenty of time to post!

Despite all and everything the staff are great and will exchange any food etc. Service wonderful. Having a very relaxing, well fed, well looked after trip.

Captains cocktail party tonight followed by Red Ginger so looking forward to that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

VV even has a Modern Mexican specialty restaurant. I suggested this for O some time back but was questioned by people whose view of Mexican food was limited to Taco Bell.

I liked VV but felt the food on O is better.  

We were generally pleased with the food on the Vista (our first O cruise).  If food were our only criteria, for choosing a cruise, both Explora Journeys and O would be at the top of our list.  But one reason we have cruised on 18 different lines (#19 coming up) is because we look at many factors (including variety).

Hank

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We were generally pleased with the food on the Vista (our first O cruise).  If food were our only criteria, for choosing a cruise, both Explora Journeys and O would be at the top of our list.  But one reason we have cruised on 18 different lines (#19 coming up) is because we look at many factors (including variety).

Hank

Absolutely!

I love Pinot Noir. That doesn’t mean I always want to drink PN. Sometimes I want a CdP, or a Brunello, or a Rioja, or a cab. Additionally, some PN, are excellent, some okay, and some poor. Just because I generally love PN doesn’t mean I feel obligated to pronounce every PN as being excellent in some faux cheerleader mode. 

I’m leading a group to Tuscany in September for two weeks of museums and wineries. Part of our adventure is going to be the various great Tuscan food. It’s not going to be Americanized Tuscan or NoNo Tuscan, but Tuscan with all the local herbs and spices. Then my DW and I are off to Bologna for their food for three days! We won’t feel compelled to eat at a Subway or Burger King the entire trip! Afterwards, we may not eat Tuscan for awhile!

We’re going to Germany for the Christmas Markets in December. Looking forward to some great authentic German, not the stuff pushed off here in the States as German.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pinotlover said:

Absolutely!

I love Pinot Noir. That doesn’t mean I always want to drink PN. Sometimes I want a CdP, or a Brunello, or a Rioja, or a cab. Additionally, some PN, are excellent, some okay, and some poor. Just because I generally love PN doesn’t mean I feel obligated to pronounce every PN as being excellent in some faux cheerleader mode. 

I’m leading a group to Tuscany in September for two weeks of museums and wineries. Part of our adventure is going to be the various great Tuscan food. It’s not going to be Americanized Tuscan or NoNo Tuscan, but Tuscan with all the local herbs and spices. Then my DW and I are off to Bologna for their food for three days! We won’t feel compelled to eat at a Subway or Burger King the entire trip! Afterwards, we may not eat Tuscan for awhile!

We’re going to Germany for the Christmas Markets in December. Looking forward to some great authentic German, not the stuff pushed off here in the States as German.

Thoughts about South African Pinotage which we have only recently discovered?

2 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Absolutely!

Love Tuscany.  Of course that means moving away from PN to Sangiovese and some of the amazing super tuscans.  Bravo for not having "NoNo" Tuscan or any other food.  When I think of Tuscan food, truffles (both black and white) quickly come to mind.  Not something we find on most cruise lines :).

Hank

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

Thoughts about South African Pinotage which we have only recently discovered?

Can't resist jumping in on this topic :).  To put it into two words, "not impressed."  While we are fans of the French style Burgandy's (pinot noir) and Rhone wines, we have long thought that Pinotage does not do a good job of wedding the two.  Perhaps, over time, Pinotage will evolve into something special, but for now, no thanks.  An acquaintance, who is a real wine grower/expert, once told me that Pinotage was simply a compromise by vintners who do not want to deal with the difficulties of dealing with the very delicate pinot noir grape.  Am sure others will disagree...especially the South African wine growers.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were initially drawn to Oceania because they self-proclaimed that they had the finest cuisine at sea. We did find it better than the mainstream/premium lines but only marginally. For us at least, the food is "good enough." There's almost always something decent on the menu in the GDR or the buffet to satisfy us. And we like the large range of choices available; if we don't like something we can try something else. The specialties have been a disappointment for us and we no longer make reservations at any of the specialty restaurants. Perhaps you can blame some of this on our higher expectations for the food there, which, of course, is natural: The food should be better there, right? At any rate, we welcomed the addition of Aquamar Kitchen and Ember on Vista. Aquamar was very helpful in satisfying the needs of my vegetarian spouse, and they even created a custom smoothie for him and attached the "recipe" to our room number so he could ask for it every day. Ember was a breath of fresh air after the disappointments and pretensions of the more formal specialties. (The rolls in Ember are delicious and a great alternative to the bread baskets in the other restaurants, which are unvarying and lose their appeal due to boredom.) 

The main reason we cruise now on Oceania, almost exclusively, is the size of the ships. We just can't get comfortable any longer on ships carrying thousands of passengers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pinotage is one of the varieties that is uniformly poor in overall quality. An excellent pinotage might rate a 91-92. Many/ most are below that. Many of other varieties blow that away.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hlitner said:

Can't resist jumping in on this topic :).  To put it into two words, "not impressed."  While we are fans of the French style Burgandy's (pinot noir) and Rhone wines, we have long through that Pinotage does not do a good job of wedding the two.  Perhaps, over time, Pinotage will evolve into something special, but for now, no thanks.  An acquaintance, who is a real wine grower/expert, once told me that Pinotage was simply a compromise by vintners who do not want to deal with the difficulties of dealing with the very delicate pinot noir grape.  Am sure others will disagree...especially the South African wine growers.

Hank

Thank you Hank!

Just bought some Pinotage by chance  a few weeks ago and enjoyed it. We aren’t wine ‘buffs’ just enjoy a decent red (to our palette). Our go to’s are Rioja, especially a Crianza,  Ribera del Duero, Malbec and a good Shiraz. So as you can see no French on our list although we have enjoyed Chateauneuf du Pape on occasion. I think I may be one of those people who faced with an array of ‘exceptional’ wines would probably not be able to taste the difference between the good, the bad and the ugly!

5 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Pinotage is one of the varieties that is uniformly poor in overall quality. An excellent pinotage might rate a 91-92. Many/ most are below that. Many of other varieties blow that away.

Thank you. As I’ve just said in my reply to Hank I probably can’t tell the difference between the ‘good, the bad and the ugly’! C’est la vie!

• Haha 1