Port Shuttles?

carfla7

As a regular Azamara cruiser I am a bit concerned that the port shuttles (where available) are being dropped. I can’t see any mention of them on the website. My next cruise (Northern Cities 22/08/24) has several ports where a shuttle would be needed. But reading others’ posts it looks like they won’t be providing them. Of course, it could just be that they are simply not available. What recent experiences do people have?

We are already vexed because there has been a major change to the itinerary and I am trying now to manage expectations…. 🙄😎

7 minutes ago, carfla7 said:

As a regular Azamara cruiser I am a bit concerned that the port shuttles (where available) are being dropped. I can’t see any mention of them on the website. My next cruise (Northern Cities 22/08/24) has several ports where a shuttle would be needed. But reading others’ posts it looks like they won’t be providing them. Of course, it could just be that they are simply not available. What recent experiences do people have?

We are already vexed because there has been a major change to the itinerary and I am trying now to manage expectations…. 🙄😎

On our most recent cruise, about a month ago, shuttles were available where necessary.

But, I would add, that these shuttles  were not provided by Azamara. They were provided either by the local community or by (perhaps) the Port Authority.

• Like 2

On our Quest sailing last month, most of the ports did not warrant a shuttle.  But in Tenerife, where a shuttle has always been provided, we were told that there would not be one ("they take advantage of cruise companies and are too expensive").  Pax had to make the 25-40 minute walk to the very edge of the city or to the central part on their own. 

Finding that out and seeing the "free shuttles where available" scrubbed from the website makes me think that if the local authorities don't provide it, then it's not happening.

3 hours ago, ECCruise said:

Finding that out and seeing the "free shuttles where available" scrubbed from the website makes me think that if the local authorities don't provide it, then it's not happening.

Seems probable. 

But, if so, I feel that Azamara has shot itself in the foot. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ECCruise said:

On our Quest sailing last month, most of the ports did not warrant a shuttle.  But in Tenerife, where a shuttle has always been provided, we were told that there would not be one ("they take advantage of cruise companies and are too expensive").  Pax had to make the 25-40 minute walk to the very edge of the city or to the central part on their own. 

We didn’t have one in Tenerife either and it is a long walk. 

I understood in Tenerife the local taxi union had objected to the provision of shuttles. This is becoming more prevalent in ports since the pandemic as taxi drivers try and regain their markets. 

Azamara always links in with the port authority for the provision of shuttles where permitted. Sometimes this connection is more visible than others. Even if the port appears to be providing the shuttle its cost is wrapped up in the port fees. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

We didn’t have one in Tenerife either and it is a long walk. 

Forced 'Destination immersion'? 

• Haha 1

Thanks for all these comments. The provision of a shuttle was a major plus for us. It just made visiting a port so much easier. Cost cutting I guess - but ill-advised if they want to maintain the “luxury” feel.

1 hour ago, carfla7 said:

Thanks for all these comments. The provision of a shuttle was a major plus for us. It just made visiting a port so much easier. Cost cutting I guess - but ill-advised if they want to maintain the “luxury” feel.

Or more active local taxi unions?

• Like 1

I’d like to think you’re right uktog, but our experience last year, with unexplained changes to the itinerary and shuttles for only half a day in one port, lead me to fear otherwise. Time will tell …. 😎

• Like 1

9 hours ago, uktog said:

I understood in Tenerife the local taxi union had objected to the provision of shuttles. This is becoming more prevalent in ports since the pandemic as taxi drivers try and regain their markets. 

Azamara always links in with the port authority for the provision of shuttles where permitted. Sometimes this connection is more visible than others. Even if the port appears to be providing the shuttle its cost is wrapped up in the port fees. 

However the P & O ship that was nearer the port gate had a shuttle!

As for Tenerife, we were told by a very senior officer that it was strictly due to the expense.  Taxi unions were never mentioned. And this was our 3rd post-pandemic porting in Tenerife, and the first 2 times definitely had shuttles.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, uktog said:

I understood in Tenerife the local taxi union had objected to the provision of shuttles.

7 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

However the P & O ship that was nearer the port gate had a shuttle!

6 hours ago, ECCruise said:

As for Tenerife, we were told by a very senior officer that it was strictly due to the expense.  Taxi unions were never mentioned. And this was our 3rd post-pandemic porting in Tenerife, and the first 2 times definitely had shuttles.

I wonder which is correct?

It seems to me that, if the P & O ship had shuttles, but Azamara's didn't, it is because Azamara was not prepared to pay for them.

Edited by blag
  • Like 2

When we were in Manila earlier in the year, the provided shuttle bus was to a large shopping mall quite a long distance from the city centre. I presumed that it was paid for by the mall rather than Azamara. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Ethel6666 said:

When we were in Manila earlier in the year, the provided shuttle bus was to a large shopping mall quite a long distance from the city centre. I presumed that it was paid for by the mall rather than Azamara. 

Sounds like a more interesting destination for crew than passengers.  But definitely good for them.

Without providing any light, but adding confusion to the issue... I asked Azamara customer support  "Will there be a shuttle from Piraeus port to Athens city on 30 August?   There does not seem to be a shore excursion “Athens on your own” that day, which leads one to believe that there will be a shuttle. "

Realizing that Athens is a bit away from Piraeus, we were not hopeful... But the response we got is ... unfathomable?

"We can't guarantee there will be free shuttles at the Ports to take you into town. The only way to know is if if you are part of an excursion that says you are being shuttled.

Well, that was basically unhelpful...

Piraeus is so far from Athens that I wouldn't expect a shuttle.  You probably need a shuttle from the ship to the port entrance.  PK Travel offers good shore excursions with a range of options, all direct from Piraeus and return:  https://www.pktravelgreece.com/shore-tours/

We took their full-day Athens tour in 2016 and were very happy.  At the last minute the ship decided to swap two ports around, and PK moved our reservation to the new day without any problems.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DS said:

Without providing any light, but adding confusion to the issue... I asked Azamara customer support  "Will there be a shuttle from Piraeus port to Athens city on 30 August?   There does not seem to be a shore excursion “Athens on your own” that day, which leads one to believe that there will be a shuttle. "

Realizing that Athens is a bit away from Piraeus, we were not hopeful... But the response we got is ... unfathomable?

"We can't guarantee there will be free shuttles at the Ports to take you into town. The only way to know is if if you are part of an excursion that says you are being shuttled.

Well, that was basically unhelpful...

Have never seen a shuttle into the city of Athens from Piraeus on any cruise line.  Depending on which of the piers your ship is located, walking to the Metro, tram or bus could be as short as a couple minutes to as long as 30 minutes.

• Like 4

Viking Med cruise last August out of Athens-overnight.  Shuttle offered to the Plaka area which we took advantage of for a wonderful day.  Cannot say if any other cruise lines offered a shuttle however there were quite a few buses in the port area.  

Azamara cruise next year out of Chioggia and hoping  a shuttle to Venice is offered as it is an overnight.  Nothing yet listed for Venice excursions.  

I asked the question because usually in situations like this ( far from the port to the "real" city) Azamara offered a "XXXX (read Athens) on your own" excursion  which was basically a shuttle bus that one paid for to take you to the city center.   However, this was not listed as an excursion option.... hence the question.... which was NOT answered...

12 minutes ago, DS said:

I asked the question because usually in situations like this ( far from the port to the "real" city) Azamara offered a "XXXX (read Athens) on your own" excursion  which was basically a shuttle bus that one paid for to take you to the city center.   However, this was not listed as an excursion option.... hence the question.... which was NOT answered...

But this is a thread about "Port Shuttles," and Piraeus is too far from Athens for that.  Perhaps you should start a thread about "...On Your Own" excursions.  But I don't think Azamara [or any cruise line] is committed to offering them everywhere.

• Like 1

Just now, Host Jazzbeau said:

But this is a thread about "Port Shuttles," and Piraeus is too far from Athens for that.  Perhaps you should start a thread about "...On Your Own" excursions.  But I don't think Azamara [or any cruise line] is committed to offering them everywhere.

I asked Azamara if there was a port shuttle... not an unreasonable question, since there was no "on your own" listed, which often are in this situation on Azamara.   My main point was that the AZ answer was... not an answer

5 hours ago, DS said:

I asked Azamara if there was a port shuttle... not an unreasonable question, since there was no "on your own" listed, which often are in this situation on Azamara.   My main point was that the AZ answer was... not an answer

Ask the question again to Azamara you’ll probably get a different answer 😃

• Like 1

Isn’t there a new train now? Check out Rome to Rio website. I’m unable to past the link here. Sometimes shuttles (not necessarily here) are prohibited by the taxi unions. If it’s embarking of debarking day there’s be no shuttles. 

• Like 1