About bringing a folding bicycle

51 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I don’t think you can make a blanket statement on the basis of one port.

Lots of ports offer cycling excursions or have cycle paths. 

Also a lot of ports also have places to rent bicycles. So why bring a folding bike? But if someone brings one it should be on them to find out if they can take it off/use it at any particular port not the cruise line. 

As for any private island unless there are specified bike trails it seems like a poor idea. I have been to Coco Cay and if that is the one in question if I was the Cruise line I would not allow it there. 

9 hours ago, nothappycruiser said:

I looked up rules and forums on bringing a folding bicycle on RCCL.  

Why would you create a new username TODAY here on CC to post this? It's quite clear you aren't a stranger here....you admit yourself you looked it up on the forums.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bajathree said:

Why would you create a new username TODAY here on CC to post this? It's quite clear you aren't a stranger here....you admit yourself you looked it up on the forums.

& that matters why? 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, RobInMN said:

While I think it's largely a ridiculous thing to want to do. Lugging a folding bicycle around. I do find the response from the ship puzzling, since I have seen crew member YouTube videos that show that the crew has access to bicycles (full size) that they can check out and ride in (some?) ports.

Do you remember the 2022 video of Captain Johnny riding his e bike on the Harmony bridge? It was hilarious with the Harley soundtrack dubbed in 😁

image.png.0a6983cf874c7a9824d90dbdf34019e7.png

image.png.44a19fd5a2994b21aa4f78eb519eebef.png

image.png.81f3e2a6e06b3df0ccbec6f276e6cbc4.png

image.png.ec0592da246d205a9ef3c01275abb2f3.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bajathree said:

I noticed a few people doing that lately. Sometimes they are making up the story to stir things up,  or they have been banned.  I do have a friend who has been on 40 cruises and when he has a booking he creates a new account because he does not post in between bookings and he forgets his username and password. He finds it asier to sign up for a new account. 

8 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I noticed a few people doing that lately. Sometimes they are making up the story to stir things up,  or they have been banned.  I do have a friend who has been on 40 cruises and when he has a booking he creates a new account because he does not post in between bookings and he forgets his username and password. He finds it asier to sign up for a new account. 

Good point. It’s not necessarily something nefarious. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I just seems odd to me that someone who says they research the "rules and forums" and posts a very very detailed account of their experience would have not kept track of their username or password.

5 minutes ago, bajathree said:

I just seems odd to me that someone who says they research the "rules and forums" and posts a very very detailed account of their experience would have not kept track of their username or password.

It could be that they have never had an account. It's possible to search these forums without having one. I know I've seen in the past where someone says they are a "longtime lurker" but first time poster. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bajathree said:

If it weren’t for Face and Touch ID, I’d be in trouble.  In fact, that’s probably why so many people don’t know their passwords. It’s like not knowing phone numbers because of speed dial and contact names. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

It could be that they have never had an account. It's possible to search these forums without having one. I know I've seen in the past where someone says they are a "longtime lurker" but first time poster. 

1 minute ago, vjmatty said:

If it weren’t for Face and Touch ID, I’d be in trouble.  In fact, that’s probably why so many people don’t know their passwords. It’s like not knowing phone numbers because of speed dial and contact names. 

And uses "notahappycruiser" as a user name....I don't buy it.

Edited by bajathree

4 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

So you think the whole story is just made up?  

No, I don't think it's made up. I just don't understand why some people seem to create a new username to make the complaint.

4 minutes ago, bajathree said:

No, I don't think it's made up. I just don't understand why some people seem to create a new username to make the complaint.

So they should...  not make the complaint?  

Here's what I can see happened...

1) Previous poster who forgot their user name.

2) "Lurker" who had never posted

3) Previous poster who wanted to create a new user name for the complain (why?)

Occam's Razor says it's one of the first two.  

Regarding the issue the OP posted about, I think it's an unusual situation that crew members (from security to GS) didn't know how to handle, and instead of saying "let me look into it", made up rules.  

At the same time, I think OP would have helped themselves out by reaching out to Royal corporate ahead of time, getting information in writing (email), then talking to GS on boarding day with a copy of what corporate said.  No, they shouldn't have had to do it, but I think it would have helped.  Of course, that's hind sight.

I do think OP would have helped US out by using paragraphs.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

No, they shouldn't have had to do it, but I think it would have helped.  Of course, that's hind sight.

The issue appears to be taking the device off the ship in each port. Why should the cruise line be responsible for informing the passenger about local port authority and municipal regulations that would affect his use of a folding bike?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, broberts said:

The issue appears to be taking the device off the ship in each port. Why should the cruise line be responsible for informing the passenger about local port authority and municipal regulations that would affect his use of a folding bike?

IMO, if asked ahead of time, Royal could have said... "You can bring the bike on board, but you'll need to find out from the local port authority whether you're allowed to have the bike in port." 

** OR ** "Yes, you can bring the bike on board, but you won't be allowed to take it into port."  Remember, Royal security stopped them from taking the bike off the ship at port one.  So, assuming the rules weren't made up, they knew the policy.  

What makes me think it was made up is the excuses listed...

* Bringing in a foreign contaniment...  As mentioned, what about what's on shoes and strollers?

* Interfering with local businesses... so would self guided walking tours or snorkeling at a beach, and many others, and we don't know if there was a bike tour available. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, broberts said:

I think that is the issue. I believe that what was posted happened or something like it. Also probably someone bringing a folding bicycle is not an everyday issue and ship security can’t just wave them through. 

It's disappointing to hear what a hassle this was. Because my husband and I are "too old" for bike excursions, we were talking about buying folding bikes. Oh well, the money we saved will be another vacation 

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, MommaBear55 said:

It's disappointing to hear what a hassle this was. Because my husband and I are "too old" for bike excursions, we were talking about buying folding bikes. Oh well, the money we saved will be another vacation 

You can book bike excursions or any excursion independent of the cruise line. You can also rent bikes in many ports. 

Folding bikes are not going to be that desirable for excursions.They are usually used by commuters. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1