Australia Visa Query

swoopy2110

Hello

According to this page: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/plan-a-cruise/travel-documents a guest not from the US / Canada says that you are required to have an Australian ETA to board (https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/electronic-travel-authority-601) This costs $20 AUD

However, as a UK Resident, I am able to apply for an EVisitor Visa 651 (https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/evisitor-651) which is free for entry to Australia.

Anyone with any experience of travelling to Australia for an RCI Cruise can confirm that a 651 visa will be fine to board with ?

Thanks

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, pcur said:

There is an Australian ETA app you can use to purchase the visa from your mobile phone.

I've seen that. But as a UK citizen I can get a free visa for Australia - the 651 rather than the 601 (not on the app) I want to check that there'll be no issue boarding with this.

Edited by swoopy2110

We sailed on Ovation from Sydney in Nov 2022, we used the Evisa you are talking about to enter Australia, I can't remember showing anything but our passports when we boarded the ship. We are also from UK.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kernow said:

We sailed on Ovation from Sydney in Nov 2022, we used the Evisa you are talking about to enter Australia, I can't remember showing anything but our passports when we boarded the ship. We are also from UK.

Cheers :)

• Host Kat locked and unlocked this topic
On 5/26/2024 at 10:12 AM, swoopy2110 said:

I've seen that. But as a UK citizen I can get a free visa for Australia - the 651 rather than the 601 (not on the app) I want to check that there'll be no issue boarding with this.

The Australian ETA App works with British passports, so it might issue the 651.

Not sure why this has been moved since you are asking about RCL requirements but I have found this for you on the RCL UK site (you were quoting the US one).

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/gbr/en/faq/questions/what-travel-documents-i-need-for-boarding-day

It states

'

• For cruises departing Australia calling into only Australian ports, Australian citizens require either a valid passport or government issued pictured and laminated ID card to be used as identification. Children aged 17 years and under will require a passport or Birth Certificate to travel or government issued photo ID. Children under 16 years of age, who do not have a passport or Photo ID, must have a copy of their birth certificate or their parents Medicare Card.
  • For all other nationalities, a passport (plus visa if needed in Australia) is required.'

No mention of a specific type of visa.

2 hours ago, kernow said:

Not sure why this has been moved since you are asking about RCL requirements but I have found this for you on the RCL UK site (you were quoting the US one).

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/gbr/en/faq/questions/what-travel-documents-i-need-for-boarding-day

It states

'

• For cruises departing Australia calling into only Australian ports, Australian citizens require either a valid passport or government issued pictured and laminated ID card to be used as identification. Children aged 17 years and under will require a passport or Birth Certificate to travel or government issued photo ID. Children under 16 years of age, who do not have a passport or Photo ID, must have a copy of their birth certificate or their parents Medicare Card.
  • For all other nationalities, a passport (plus visa if needed in Australia) is required.'

No mention of a specific type of visa.

Thanks 🙂

Yeh I can't see why the free version wouldn't be accepted. It's on the Australian Government Website that the 'free' version is fine for 'going on a cruise'.

The cruise calls into NZ and I know we need the paid for visa there. Just don't know whether they'd want to check the AUS visa to.

Although, I know in the US they don't even bother to check the ESTA anymore, they just want to know that you've got it with you.

We  ( Uk citizen UK Passport) ent to Oz in March 2020 on a fated round Oz cruise with Princess. Cancelled after 5 days sailing due to Covid!!

651 visa was granted and used.

"We have granted you a eVisitor (subclass 651) visa on 15 January 2020.
Application status
eVisitor (subclass 651): Granted
Visa conditions
8115 - Business visitor activity
8201 - Maximum three months study
8527 - Tuberculosis free
8528 - No criminal convictions
An explanation of each condition of this eVisitor (subclass 651) visa is provided below.
You can check these conditions at any time by using the Visa Entitlement Verification Online
(VEVO) service. The four-digit number presented next to each condition above is used in
VEVO to identify each condition that applies to this eVisitor (subclass 651) visa.
Visa duration and travel
Date of grant 15 January 2020
Must not arrive after 15 January 2021
Length of stay 3 month(s) from the date of each arrival
Travel Multiple entries"

I suspect that you are saying this bit

In order to sail, a guest must meet the requirements below.

All documents must be original – no photocopies. Your name must match across documents. What if I had a name change?

.....means you need an ETA   but if you continue    on the  Australia ETA link above

you will see this

Important information about the ETA

All ETA-eligible passport holders must apply for an ETA using the Australian ETA app. For more information, see our Step by step guide.
If you are unable to use the app, you can apply online through ImmiAccount for another visa that suits your needs.

European passport holders may be eligible for an eVisitor (subclass 651)

Australian citizens are ineligible to apply for an ETA, refer to Entering Australia.

RCI are unlikely to be of help  as they have indicated it is passengers responsibility.

but having said that  it is free to apply for a 651 type,  you could get one then email RCI

or a travel agent if used and ask if it is OK .  

2 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

Thanks 🙂

Yeh I can't see why the free version wouldn't be accepted. It's on the Australian Government Website that the 'free' version is fine for 'going on a cruise'.

The cruise calls into NZ and I know we need the paid for visa there. Just don't know whether they'd want to check the AUS visa to.

Although, I know in the US they don't even bother to check the ESTA anymore, they just want to know that you've got it with you.

Thinking about it I don't think we even had to show anything other than our passports when we arrived at Sydney airport although I did have the print out of the visa details with me. I assume nowadays when they scan your passports they can see the visa details automatically. 

Sydney airport was the quickest international airport we have ever arrived at. Don't know if we were just lucky but we were less than 30 minutes from getting off the plane to getting into a taxi. Very impressed.

For our last two trips to Australia (most recent Dec 22), the eVisitor 651 has been used with no problems at all, but this one isn't appropriate for US or Canadian citizens.  We've found a few times that the general entry requirement recommendations provided by the US-based cruise lines are relevant mainly to US/Canadian citizens.  This seems fair enough to us - the majority of their passengers are from North America and they can't be expected to list out every nationality/citizenship possibility.  

Anyway, our first port of call (excuse pun) when investigating what's needed is the Foreign Office website www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice which holds links to the relevant country's official information sites. 

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

On 5/30/2024 at 8:29 AM, Sekhmet said:

For our last two trips to Australia (most recent Dec 22), the eVisitor 651 has been used with no problems at all, but this one isn't appropriate for US or Canadian citizens.  We've found a few times that the general entry requirement recommendations provided by the US-based cruise lines are relevant mainly to US/Canadian citizens.  This seems fair enough to us - the majority of their passengers are from North America and they can't be expected to list out every nationality/citizenship possibility.  

Anyway, our first port of call (excuse pun) when investigating what's needed is the Foreign Office website www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice which holds links to the relevant country's official information sites. 

Hope this helps. 

Helps perfectly. Gone with the 651. Can't see any reason it would be rejected as it's literally for UK residents, allows multiple entries, and says you can take a cruise with it.

TY