Cruise Ship Priest Program

9 minutes ago, Ky Colonel said:

Haven’t cruised since very early 2020: Wondering if HAL still has the Cruise Ship Priest Program - any help is appreciated.  Thank you!

Cannot answer other than to say this past March, Mass information was offered daily in the "newspaper".

• Like 1

The answer is yes, they still have priests on board very regularly. In fact, there was, for quite awhile, a priest regularly posting on the HAL board about how the program works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

The answer is yes, they still have priests on board very regularly. In fact, there was, for quite awhile, a priest regularly posting on the HAL board about how the program works.

Perhaps @Himselfmay see this and add some information to the discussion. I think he is the priest you are referring to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

HAL TRYS to have a priest on each cruise.  The Priests are vetted by the AOS-USA. Each priest has to get a letter each year from his Bishop or, in case of an order priest, his Provincal stating the priest is in good standing and has the approval do this work.

Each year the priests get a list of available cruises.  Some charters do not want a priest and other charters want them. If a group brings their own priest, that man must be vetted by OSA-USA.  Sometimes a cruise might go if a priest cannot be found to take the cruise.  I hope this adds light to the discussion.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

I have seen postings on several social media sites that HAL is starting to reduce the cruises that will have priest on board. This included not having priests on Caribbean, Alaska and cruises in Europe. I have a request into HAL ship services and AOS for a confirmation of the situation.

9 minutes ago, TGCRUISEO said:

Wow. They just changed that like today. This stinks. Opens up me looking for cruises on any cruise line where I can get to port to go to mass now. 

Yes, it stinks to high Heaven (pun intended).

1 hour ago, mightycruisequeen said:

Today's Holland America page on Religious services is different: 

Travel Is Our Tradition

Wow- so basically they sail only the cruises which have a lot of sea days. 

What about the Catholic crew?

9 minutes ago, KAKcruiser said:

I can't believe they would change their policy.  How much could it cost to provide a cabin for the Priest?  

Loosing out on $49/day?

42 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Wow- so basically they sail only the cruises which have a lot of sea days. 

What about the Catholic crew?

Great question!  Those kids give up sleep to attend crew Mass at 11 pm or midnight.

Catholics are only required to attend Mass if there is one available. The catholic crew on ships are excused from this obligation if there is no Priest on board or Mass is not held

• Like 1