Silly question, but.......

So, do I understand correctly, then, that one does NOT have to adhere to the time given in the boarding window?  My window is 1:30 pm to 5:00 pm.  I’m one of those keeners who likes to get on board as soon as possible to start exploring.

If it makes any difference, it will be the June 1/24 sail date aboard The Royal Princess departing from the Vancouver terminal.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

We sail from Southampton on the Sky Princess later in the year, sailing time is 4 p.m. and we are overnight in a hotel so I am going to book a taxi for 11 a.m. in the hope we arrive by 11.30 for embarkation as we are Elite status which gives us a luncheon onboard.

2 hours ago, memoak said:

Your elite status does not get you a lunch in the MDR. Unless you are in Reserve class then there will be one MDR open and one line once the MDR fills people must wait for tables to finish 

2 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Anyone gets lunch in the MDR, not just elite. 

Elite status may help @Cruisemeister2002 get lunch onboard, because it will provide priority embarkation. The priority embarkation may help get onboard in time to get to the MDR for lunch before it closes.

ddd

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Kat915 said:

Not a silly question.  I wanted to know the latest I could board so I could do an excursion. Sailing is June 15 and I still don't know. My plans have changed so it no longer matters but it is  weird that I couldn't have that information by now.

we've had an all aboard time for embarkation day available in the app for months now.

1 minute ago, Kat915 said:

Where on the app is this? It says that I am sail ready but I don’t see this anywhere on the app.

11 days before your cruise, boarding pass becomes available on the app at the top like excursions, dining, etc.

Just now, tulok said:

11 days before your cruise, boarding pass becomes available on the app at the top like excursions, dining, etc.

Ok. Not there yet but I know where to look now. I don't sail until June 15 so I have few more days.  Thanks!

4 hours ago, ecs66 said:

I didn't know that.  We've been Ruby and Platinum, and always have gone directly to the Dining Room with no problem.  Maybe because we arrived rather early...?

How early would that be?

Thanks everyone for the advice.  I checked my app today and it now shows a boarding window from 11:30 to 3.    Think we will show up around 1 to avoid lines.

36 minutes ago, Tinknock50 said:

How early would that be?

We're usually checking in around 11 a.m., and are seated in the MDR when we walk onto the ship.  Never have had to wait.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Anyone gets lunch in the MDR, not just elite. 

6 hours ago, Tinknock50 said:

I'd love to do that when I board the Discovery June 15th!  Much more relaxing than the lido on embarkation day. How long is it open that day?

Usually closes at 1:00 PM. That's why we only do embarkation lunch in MDR if we are able to board early.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, puzzums said:

So, do I understand correctly, then, that one does NOT have to adhere to the time given in the boarding window?  My window is 1:30 pm to 5:00 pm.  I’m one of those keeners who likes to get on board as soon as possible to start exploring.

If it makes any difference, it will be the June 1/24 sail date aboard The Royal Princess departing from the Vancouver terminal.

Ignore the boarding window. There's no way I would adhere to that boarding stricture. Of course boarding in Vancouver tends to be a zoo... 🤪

Edited by Thrak

14 hours ago, Tinknock50 said:

Kat…are you going on the Discovery? There’s a roll call for it.

I am looking forward to boarding!

No. I am on the Sapphire leaving from Whittier on the 15th.

18 hours ago, ecs66 said:

We're usually checking in around 11 a.m., and are seated in the MDR when we walk onto the ship.  Never have had to wait.

After dropping your carryon's in your cabin?

3 hours ago, Kat915 said:

There will be a large amount of b2b passengers and usually there is no rush to board since most ships don’t sail till after 8:00 from that port

4 hours ago, Kat915 said:

We are on the Sapphire from the 8th to the 22nd!

On 5/27/2024 at 7:18 PM, skynight said:

No boarding times. When you arrive at the port you go through security. If you have your medallion you go on the green lane, without the medallion you go on the blue lane for a short detour to pick up the medallion. Then it's off to boarding. Once boarding begins it goes fairly quick.

We opted for the blue line rather than paying the $10/medallion to have them mailed. Is there a separate line for people who did not finish all of the preboarding steps, or are they in the same line as us?  

23 hours ago, puzzums said:

15 hours ago, Thrak said:

Ignore the boarding window. There's no way I would adhere to that boarding stricture. Of course boarding in Vancouver tends to be a zoo... 🤪

I personally would recommend looking at the port web site for what time the ship is expected to come in and to leave again. 2024-Cruise-Schedule-as-of-Feb-23-2024.pdf (portvancouver.com)

It looks like the Royal Princess doesn't get in until 9:15 and leaves again at 6pm. My guess there is no way on earth they will be ready to start boarding at 11 or maybe even 12 and they may not even be willing to take luggage if they are still offloading luggage from the ship at 9:30 or 10am. I have found the window is usually later than when they start processing people, but is usually not off by a full 2-3 hours.  Most ships arrive between 5 and 7am.

2 hours ago, Tinknock50 said:

After dropping your carryon's in your cabin?

Well, we've never cruised with carry-ons only before, although we'll be doing that in December.  We've always dropped our bags with the porters (is that what they're called?) at the pier, and they'll show up at the cabin later.  We are lugging around our backpacks, personal items, etc.

Although, I have seen MANY in the MDR with larger carry-ons.  Everyone is forgiving and tolerant of other passengers' stuff on that first day.  Anyhow, that's been my observation.  Hope that helps.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, memoak said:

There will be a large amount of b2b passengers and usually there is no rush to board since most ships don’t sail till after 8:00 from that port

We are coming on the train. Was going to do 26 glacier cruise, but we have to make sure my sister's scooter rental is in the room. We may have leisurely lunch and walk around Whittier for a bit. Which should take about 30 minutes, right?

4 hours ago, masonchar said:

We are on the Sapphire from the 8th to the 22nd!

See you on board! I will be with my sister who will he in a scooter.