Less busy place for boarding day lunch on Zuiderdam

I'm wondering if anyone has advice on where to head immediately upon boarding Zuiderdam for a light lunch and a celebratory drink or two?  We haven't sailed HAL in many years and typically like to avoid the chaos (on any ship) of the buffet.  Looking for a calmer place to have lunch and wait for our SS to become available.

Posted (edited)

Burger and fries at Dive In, eat at table by windows at midship pool or aft (seaview) pool.

Edited by AV8rix
  • Like 7

Get a drink, go to your room, and order room service. I've always had my room ready upon boarding, so I unpack while waiting for my food to arrive (I carry on my bag). It helps avoid the 'ohmygosh free food!' gluttony in the buffet, and the crowds. Another thing I do is bring a plastic tray, so I like to hit the Distant Lands and get some sushi and a bowl of stir-fry and take it to eat on the Lido or back deck, if it's nice out. I used to find quiet at the embarkation lunch in the MDR, but those aren't going on now, unless they changed. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

Dive In is a nice choice. If you're early enough, you can try the main dining room. 

Unfortunately, the MDR is no longer open for lunch on Embarkation Day on any HAL ship.

• Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

We board early...in the first boarding groups..and lately (Oosterdam in April 2024 and Westerdam in October 2023) we have not experienced the buffet first day chaos of the past.  

We also grab a table on the lido pool deck area...keep walking and the crowd dissipates....and found it very calm and pleasant in the first hour or so......

Another option, is to order Dive in burgers on the app and then when they are ready, take them to your cabin....works great if you have a balcony.

We were big fans of lunch in the MDR on embarkation day but we've adjusted fine.

Edited by FlaMariner
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Crew News said:

Unfortunately, the MDR is no longer open for lunch on Embarkation Day on any HAL ship.

I didn't know that they discontinued the luncheon in the dining room on embarkation day.   Not happy about that at all.   The buffet is so busy and congested and luggage all over the place.   I have a scooter and it's hard to get around with so many people and the chaos.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

We board early...in the first boarding groups..and lately (Oosterdam in April 2024 and Westerdam in October 2023) we have not experienced the buffet first day chaos of the past.  

We also grab a table on the lido pool deck area...keep walking and the crowd dissipates....and found it very calm and pleasant in the first hour or so......

Another option, is to order Dive in burgers on the app and then when they are ready, take them to your cabin....works great if you have a balcony.

We were big fans of lunch in the MDR on embarkation day but we've adjusted fine.

You can place an order for Dive In via the app?  We were on the Zaandam earlier this year and I didn't see this but I probably just missed it???

The cabins should be ready by noon, frequently sooner. Not sure why there should be a lot of luggage around the Lido tables area.

Agree with sitting in the Lido pool area, either with Dive In or Lido food

• Like 2

19 hours ago, rj59 said:

Get a drink, go to your room, and order room service. I've always had my room ready upon boarding

Sounds like a possibility for us and hadn't thought about trying room service that early in the cruise.  Thanks!

10 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Good to know.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, hummingbird_206 said:

You can place an order for Dive In via the app?  We were on the Zaandam earlier this year and I didn't see this but I probably just missed it???

Yep, it's the only reason we use navigator.....it's good to place the dive in order while finishing up our pre-lunch activity and then go find a table, get our drinks and get situated and then it's ready....and you just go up and get your order and pass by all the other people waiting and leaning against the wall by dive in.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, SEA58 said:

Sounds like a possibility for us and hadn't thought about trying room service that early in the cruise.  Thanks!

Yeah thanks for that. I never thought of this either

We have tried to order room service on embarkation day for lunch on several HAL newer ships and told it is not available for lunch.

So the Mariner lunch in the MDR on embarkation day is no longer available? When did that happen? We ate there several times on embarkation day in 2023.

30 minutes ago, Djptcp said:

We have tried to order room service on embarkation day for lunch on several HAL newer ships and told it is not available for lunch.

So the Mariner lunch in the MDR on embarkation day is no longer available? When did that happen? We ate there several times on embarkation day in 2023.

Early March 2024

Sue/WDW1972