Temper My Disappointment Please

4 minutes ago, albingirl said:

There has been continuous disappointment on this board concerning music and entertainment on HAL ships.  Well, maybe people should try different lines after all.

I don't expect a whole lot in that arena, and most people read enough here to know that they should have low expectations. I sail for the itinerary and all else is a bonus, honestly. If the food is great, I'm happy, and if my stateroom is quiet, well, even better. Seems prices on everything are through the roof and I'm personally waiting to see if there is change after this election year.

I have been looking at the Fred.Olsen product. I’m pretty sure my years with HAL are numbered.

• Like 1

We have seen both groups and really do not think there is a huge difference between the BBKings and Rolling Stone groups. There is crossover between the two of performers: we have seen at least one guitarist and one singer in both bands on different ships. The Ocean Bar group is very good and attracts a large audience.

BTW: Lincoln Center was on the Legendary part of the Noordam cruise in April from NZ to Vancouver and was outstanding.  

2 hours ago, Kay S said:

DH is very bummed about the Lincoln Center dismissal

I felt the same way when I had chosen HAL for a TATL partly because of the Lincoln Center Stage, and then it was discontinued before the sailing.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2024 at 2:09 PM, CountsByFives said:

Hello all, first post. Almost a year ago my girlfriend and I (new cruisers) started researching Alaskan cruises and narrowed the selection to Princess and Holland America for the Glacier Bay passage. Princess seemed to beat out Holland America in every respect that we were interested in except one...the music. That was enough to pick Holland over Princess even with the convenience of the OceanNow deliveries and the better technology. 

I just paid the final balance due on our September departure and saw that B.B. King's is no longer a venue and there doesn't seem to be any mention of the live classical music that I would've sworn was going to be involved in showings of BBC Earth. As a FYI, B.B. King's was the venue I wanted to visit the most. 

I know changes happen but I can't help but feel like I've fallen for some type of bait and switch and my disappointment level is off the charts with only a few months left before sailing. I hate the thought of going into a a week-long cruise with the feeling that I'm unhappy and regretting my decision to pick Holland. I'd really appreciate any words of advice that folks may be willing to offer to get me into a better headspace. Thanks. 

Feel your pain. We were on Westerdam to AK when they still had BB Kings and it was great. We actually booked a cruise on Nieuw Statendam primarily for the live music (BB Kings/ RS Lounge) and I am hoping this does not get torpedoed. That said HAL is a strong prescence in AK and I would not recommend any other line for music so unless their is a compelling economic reason or better ports (Glacier Bay is a must) would enjoy what you have.

Not to be too critical but if I recall BB Kings was dropped from several ships many many months ago?

7 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

Not to be too critical but if I recall BB Kings was dropped from several ships many many months ago?

Oosterdam had Rolling Stone Lounge in 2022 and I think that Eurodam changed from BBK to RSL at the end of the European 'season' in 2021.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Bizziecruzer said:

We're currently on Rotterdam. Very dissappointed with the music. There is no live music on the ship till after 7pm at night. 

Curious. Are you accustomed to live music prior to 7:00? Does/did HAL do this? I honestly can't recall ever watching live music until evening, but this is my first HAL cruise coming up.

On 5/30/2024 at 11:32 AM, Kay S said:

But are they the right ones?  I can handle the changes, but DH is very bummed about the Lincoln Center dismissal, and the reports of classical music replacements have been hit or miss.

On the GWV we had a classical trio (violin, cello and piano) in the Explorer's Lounge for two shows virtually every night.  They were very good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

Curious. Are you accustomed to live music prior to 7:00? Does/did HAL do this? I honestly can't recall ever watching live music until evening, but this is my first HAL cruise coming up.

First time HAL cruisers. Cruised other lines  Celebrity, Princess and RCL. All of which have music throughout the day.

On 5/31/2024 at 1:56 AM, Bizziecruzer said:

We're currently on Rotterdam. Very dissappointed with the music. There is no live music on the ship till after 7pm at night. 

Not even a jazz trio in the Ocean bar for happy hour?

You can have a great cruise or you can have a lousy cruise.  The biggest determining factor is your state of mind.  If you go on a cruise expecting to be disappointed you surely will be.  Don't focus on the thing you can't have, focus on what you do have.  

• Like 6

If you book and they have Lincoln Center and when you board, they don't , that lessens your cruise. If you book HAL because they always had classical music and now they dont, that lessens your cruise. If you book because HAL has always had great food and now they dont, that lessens your cruise. Ive been sailing with HAL since 1983 and have over 200 sea days. In that time, classical music is now gone, so is BB Kings, and the food has gone way downhill. Single supplements are now 80-100%, where I used to be able to get a 25-50% supplement. I'm not going to have a great cruise without what I was expecting. And HAL has changed their policies showing they dont want me to sail with them, so I won't pay for an overpriced cruise. I will go on a land vacation and not pay double. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sambamama said:

I'm not going to have a great cruise without what I was expecting. And HAL has changed their policies showing they dont want me to sail with them, so I won't pay for an overpriced cruise. I will go on a land vacation and not pay double. 

That is absolutely your prerogative, and everyone's choice. It makes no sense to spend good money if you're going to be stressed about the outcome. That never happens on a land vacation. Happy trails!

• Haha 1