Thought this was worth posting!

Posted (edited)

Link below is to a story posted on the Carnival forum.  THIS link on MSN shares the story.

I don't do Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, but I do post some travel information on this site, especially on the Roll Calls that I frequent.  However, I have never posted a photo of an invoice like the lady in this story. 🙄  In the future, I will reconsider sharing so many details of my travel plans.

Edited by Iamthesea
  • Thanks 1

I saw that last week as it was a major discussion in the videos on YouTube.

I would add one more warning.  Realize that if you post on a roll call that you will be on a particular cruise on a particular date - something that I have been guilty of, you are informing everyone that you are away from home during the duration of the cruise.

Fortunately, our pet pit bull cannot come with us on the cruise ... and she loves visitors.😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

6 minutes ago, jlawrence01 said:

I would add one more warning.  Realize that if you post on a roll call that you will be on a particular cruise on a particular date - something that I have been guilty of, you are informing everyone that you are away from home during the duration of the cruise.

Fortunately, our pet pit bull cannot come with us on the cruise ... and she loves visitors.😁

That's correct!  And why we need to be careful about posting our names (especially last names), email addresses (which I never do) and home town names (I post my state, but not sure that I have refrained from posting my hometown.)  

6 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Definitely so.  Redact any info before posting a document.  Obviously someone wanted her cabin!

I never thought that someone would do that because they wanted the stateroom.  I thought it was done out of sheer meanness.  That's an interesting observation.  

When Tony reported on this last week on his podcast, I gave it some thought.  First of all, it seems the woman's husband, in his excitement about the trip, posted details, or perhaps a photo or screenshot proving they had a wonderfully special cabin, or whatnot, and I absolutely agree that posting information about your trip - in this case it was the booking number - is absolutely ridiculously negligent.  However, I also think that there could be some kind of extra step - such as an email or other communication asking the person "are you sure you want to cancel your cruise?" just to have an extra step safeguard in there.  Someone said that "someone at Carnival noticed and cancelled their shore excursions."  No, actually when you cancel your cruise online, the system will automatically cancel your shore excursions.  Thus the email they got saying their excursions were cancelled. So my question is, if they got an email saying their excursions were canceled, wouldn't they also have gotten one confirming cancellation of the entire booking?  How did they notice one and not the other? And my REAL question: if they had noticed RIGHT AWAY, and called, could they have reinstated their cruise?  Anyway, I guess bottom line, there SHOULD be an extra-step safeguard so there can't be a mistake like this with just one stroke.  I do feel for them, because while yes, it was ridiculous for them to post their information, does this make it "their fault"?  They were STILL victims of a crime, and it's still terrible!  I really don't like to "blame the victim" - we've all put ourselves at risk in various ways, and let's remember they are still the ones who were ripped off. 

Anyway, as Tony says  - it's a "cautionary tale".   He says, and I tend to agree, that these people seemed to be "bragging" on social media about their upcoming cruise, and someone, just to be mean, decided to pull the rug out from under them when they posted their booking number.  Again, they are still the victims, even though posting their booking number was stupid.  I do NOT think Carnival is in any way to blame, and I agree they should have taken whatever they offered, but they seem to lack judgement across the board. 

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, jlawrence01 said:

I leave 2 grown sons and a husband at home, what I like to call human pitbulls!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Moriah said:

I do feel for them, because while yes, it was ridiculous for them to post their information, does this make it "their fault"?  They were STILL victims of a crime,

I appreciate your perspective, but of course it was "their fault". Crime is crime, but if my mailbox is overflowing and there's a 65" TV sitting in its box outside my house -- yes, it's my fault.

No brainer.

• Like 3

I totally questioned this story last week, because it's NOT that easy to cancel a cruise!  Forms need to be filled out and signed, period.  However, given that SO much information was put online by these people, a cancellation did go thru. Unfortunately. Very sad.

Now... let the finger pointing begin! 😲😪

15 minutes ago, julia said:

I totally questioned this story last week, because it's NOT that easy to cancel a cruise!  Forms need to be filled out and signed, period. 

Not on Carnival, apparently. All they needed was a last name and booking number. Pretty sad.

Also, when was the last time you actually signed a form for anything regarding a cruise?

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, julia said:

I totally questioned this story last week, because it's NOT that easy to cancel a cruise!  Forms need to be filled out and signed, period.  However, given that SO much information was put online by these people, a cancellation did go thru. Unfortunately. Very sad.

Now... let the finger pointing begin! 😲😪

I've canceled more than one cruise with a simple phone call. No muss, no fuss. No signatures on a piece of paper. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

Not on Carnival, apparently. All they needed was a last name and booking number. Pretty sad.

Also, when was the last time you actually signed a form for anything regarding a cruise?

Probably two years ago... my big box TA requires a scanned form for both ship changes and cancelation.  

The world we live in, every body has to share with the whole world everything they do. I like to sit and people watch, they have their nose stuck in their phone, thumbs busy texting and not have a clue what is happening around them. They don't even talk with the people that are with them. It is a ad but hard lesson to learn, thanks for sharing.  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, julia said:

Probably two years ago... my big box TA requires a scanned form for both ship changes and cancelation.  

If you book through a TA you must go through the TA to cancel and that TA might have special procedures.  If you book through the line you can easily cancel. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ski ww said:

The world we live in, every body has to share with the whole world everything they do. I like to sit and people watch, they have their nose stuck in their phone, thumbs busy texting and not have a clue what is happening around them. They don't even talk with the people that are with them. It is a ad but hard lesson to learn, thanks for sharing.  

I have shared my HAL confirmation on this forum to demonstrate some nuance. However I am careful to redact personal information. It is not always bragging but I think in this case it likely was.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RuthC said:

I've canceled more than one cruise with a simple phone call. No muss, no fuss. No signatures on a piece of paper. 

Ditto - a call or an email to my TA is all that is required.