What Board Games are on the Ships? Chess?

I heard that many of the ships were removing their board games. I was wondering what board games people had noticed recently on the different ships. My teen loves chess and was hoping there would be a chess set? Can you check out the games to bring back to your room or do you have to play them only in the library? 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, CreamsicleCatMom said:

I heard that many of the ships were removing their board games. I was wondering what board games people had noticed recently on the different ships. My teen loves chess and was hoping there would be a chess set? Can you check out the games to bring back to your room or do you have to play them only in the library? 

Thanks!

Haven't seen games onboard in years

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CreamsicleCatMom said:

Thanks!

The Venezia had a mobile library with books and games, many of them were new, still sealed in the plastic wrap.   They also had games set out on some of the tables to encourage people to use them. 

20230926_132218.thumb.jpg.6433bab2adc7dcdad83d20d4a0c2dd47.jpg

20230926_132259.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CreamsicleCatMom said:

Thanks!

From the library on the Magic in November 2023:

20231113_093015.thumb.jpg.33bc015790002783d8e3b582fd53afa8.jpg

20231113_093020.thumb.jpg.469a51beeb9ecd41da8e9dc037879f4d.jpg

I didn't actually handle any of the games or try to check them out, so I don't know anything about that.

Your mileage may vary.  I suggest bringing your own chess board - a cheap one, if your son is willing to put up with its limitations.

• Thanks 1

They used to have a lot of games in the cases in the library on Fantasy class.  Some of the ships used to have a giant chess board on one of the upper decks…but I could be confusing that with other lines.  EM

• Like 1

On sunshine last May there were board games in library area and on Mardi Gras in December they were on shelves in Heros lounge area (near exit doors in back).  Both of those ships (as well as most/all others we have sailed with CCL there is a giant chess board outside somewhere (try sports deck) on the ship.  DS has been playing chess since he was 5 (21 now) and has played many chess games on board, once he starts playing there always seem to be several chess players (young and adult) that hang around looking to play.  

We do pack some of our own board/card games when we cruise so we always have them.  

• Thanks 1

Another thing to add is that just because the box is there doesn't mean all of the pieces are there.  It is a major crapshoot.  Some pieces could be in the boxes of other games, scattered throughout the cabinets, or just missing entirely.

• Like 3

Why not just pack an inexpensive, lightweight chess set when you go.  That way he can have it in your room, or anywhere else, whenever he wants.   If he really enjoys playing so much, I wouldn't want to take a chance that there might not one on board, or if there is one it may have pieces missing.  

Also, I think, at least most Carnival ships do have the giant chess sets.  The boards must get taken apart, maybe to wash the decks. I have noticed that one day it will be all good and the next time the board will be rotated 90°, which makes it harder to set up if one side is against a wall, but some people were still playing even with the board being set with black on the right.

image.jpeg.78d80d7822d965dc05a89cc2e5b63a4e.jpeg

• Like 2

On Splendor, there were 3 rolling book carts around with books & games.

Usually near Java, Red Frog & the karaoke bar near the Morocco lounge.

• Like 1

Here’s what was on the Venezia late April/early May. Includes chess. There may be more games as we saw people using games on nearby tables. This cart is the “library.” It’s not a room, but in a sort of mezzanine area one deck above on one side of the midship pool, with tables and comfortable seating spread around a bit.

IMG_1400.thumb.jpeg.9dca64f15e361a26d3470e277a33bd48.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, carol louise said:

Here’s what was on the Venezia late April/early May. Includes chess. There may be more games as we saw people using games on nearby tables. This cart is the “library.” It’s not a room, but in a sort of mezzanine area one deck above on one side of the midship pool, with tables and comfortable seating spread around a bit.

IMG_1400.thumb.jpeg.9dca64f15e361a26d3470e277a33bd48.jpeg

Thanks for sharing this.  Two thoughts:

1) This is an impressive collection of games for a cruise ship these days, IMHO

2) OF COURSE they had "Cat in the Hat"! 🙂  I wonder if they had any other of Dr. Seuss' books.  My vision isn't that good. ☹️

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Thanks for sharing this.  Two thoughts:

1) This is an impressive collection of games for a cruise ship these days, IMHO

2) OF COURSE they had "Cat in the Hat"! 🙂  I wonder if they had any other of Dr. Seuss' books.  My vision isn't that good. ☹️

Honolulu Blue, by zooming in to the photo, I gather from the cover illustration that the book immediately to the left of “Cat in the Hat” is also Dr. Seuss.

• Thanks 1