Dress code at night + Shuttles

Aapreciate

The issue with jeans, IMHO, is quality range. If you have a new or newer or dress pair, they're fine and conform to Vikings intended dress code. But, some jeans are worn, have holes in them for style (probably not being worn by most Viking passengers), or have been thru the wash multiple times but still have all stitching together.

But, it's hard to tell people this and get into arguments over how worn is too worn.

I'd personally prefer a newer, nice dark deep blue denim pair of jeans versus a well worn and color faded pair of dockers.... But only one is accepted at face value.

• Like 1

My take on this issue is that the word "jeans" is a signal. It represents an easily understood item of clothing that nearly everyone can picture. Yes, there are nearly infinite variations. The point of the word "jeans" is to set a tone. Rather than identify every potential excludable item an avatar for the class is chosen. The "shirt/shoes" sign is another such signifier. That the staff may exclude based on some clothing which they define.

Overanalyzing what denim apparel is acceptable is unedifying. Think up, not down.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

The issue with jeans, IMHO, is quality range. If you have a new or newer or dress pair, they're fine and conform to Vikings intended dress code. But, some jeans are worn, have holes in them for style (probably not being worn by most Viking passengers), or have been thru the wash multiple times but still have all stitching together.

But, it's hard to tell people this and get into arguments over how worn is too worn.

I'd personally prefer a newer, nice dark deep blue denim pair of jeans versus a well worn and color faded pair of dockers.... But only one is accepted at face value.

You should speak to the cruise line and get them to include the words ‘new’, ‘newer’, ‘quality’ and ‘dress’ in their description of accepted jeans. Do you real think that will resolve the issue? Of course it won’t. If the trousers can in anyway be described as jeans, then leave them at home or only wear them before 6.00 p.m..

2 minutes ago, friendlyfifer said:

You should speak to the cruise line and get them to include the words ‘new’, ‘newer’, ‘quality’ and ‘dress’ in their description of accepted jeans. Do you real think that will resolve the issue? Of course it won’t. If the trousers can in anyway be described as jeans, then leave them at home or only wear them before 6.00 p.m..

I'm not one particularly concerned about what others are wearing though. I only offered my interpretation and reasoning behind Vikings dress code.

• Like 1

• For Discoveries, Aqualina and Prime C Restaurants: No bare feet, ball caps, tank tops or bathing suits are permitted in these areas. Shorts and torn/distressed jeans are not allowed during dinner.

Above is the Azamara dress code.  Very clear.  In fact the overall level of dress onboard Azamara is significantly smarter,  in my opinion,  than that which I have seen on Viking.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

My take on this issue is that the word "jeans" is a signal. It represents an easily understood item of clothing that nearly everyone can picture. Yes, there are nearly infinite variations. The point of the word "jeans" is to set a tone. Rather than identify every potential excludable item an avatar for the class is chosen. The "shirt/shoes" sign is another such signifier. That the staff may exclude based on some clothing which they define.

Overanalyzing what denim apparel is acceptable is unedifying. Think up, not down.

And having an avatar of the back of a naked woman is edifying cruise critic?

If you all want to dress to impress, I'm sure there are better lines than Viking for that so that you all feel good bringing your $200k watches and $100k Pearl necklaces at the evening galas.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mrs Miggins said:
  • For Discoveries, Aqualina and Prime C Restaurants: No bare feet, ball caps, tank tops or bathing suits are permitted in these areas. Shorts and torn/distressed jeans are not allowed during dinner.

Above is the Azamara dress code.  Very clear.  In fact the overall level of dress onboard Azamara is significantly smarter,  in my opinion,  than that which I have seen on Viking.  

Azamara might be a better line for those that want to be seen and the center of attention.

1 hour ago, Mrs Miggins said:

I would not comment on a cruise company that I have not cruised with.

I would not comment on a cruise company that is not part of the Viking fleet in a discussion on the Viking dress code.

You entered the Viking sub-forum of a Cruise forum commenting on Azamara and then demand I not respond to a cruise line I haven't sailed with. Yes, I know I'm steerage class, but kindly, do not remind me.

Edited by Mike07
  • Haha 1

Mike 07

I thought your post 26 made a lot of sense. My post was meant to give an example of a written dress code which is precise and would in fact agree with your post 26.  Easily understood by all.

I first cruised with Viking in 2016. Excellent in all respects. Since then I have seen a slight decline overall.  Food and service not quite as good, Smart Casual seems to be less ‘smart’. Certainly no dressing gowns ! Others may not  agree. It is probably true of many other cruise companies.

Many threads make comparisons between different cruise companies. There is currently a very active Viking thread doing just that.

I do not understand the ‘steerage class’ reference. Viking is more expensive than Azamara.  

• Like 1

We were told on one of our cruises (when one in our party was about to go change out of jeans) that they tend to be more lax about jeans in the dining room on the day you embark and the day before you disembark.  They realize that many have not unpacked, or have already packed and are wearing their traveling clothes the evening before disembarking.  I do know if your luggage has gone astray, you get a pass as well.  

18 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

Would torn / distressed good wool slacks be considered acceptable for dinner on Viking?

They aren't jeans...

The Azamara description, offered for comparison, is very clear that condition of the garment is a consideration.

You’re simply being obtuse. If you are struggling with the Viking dress standards then choose another cruise line. There are plenty who wouldn’t object to your torn/ distressed look.

• Haha 1

Yeah, my enjoyment of dinner will definitely be adversely affected if someone wears black or white denim pants.

While I will agree that, technically speaking, if the fabric is denim, they're probably considered jeans, I will also note that black or white pants, whose stitching matches the fabric, aren't going to be noticed by most people.

If I'm paying more attention to the type of fabric someone wears into a ship restaurant than to my lovely wife, if my meal doesn't settle because I'm so upset about someone being so outrageous as to wear black jeans in a restaurant--then I probably should stay home and enjoy a jeans-free environment.

On our last river cruise, this guy wore what appeared to be the same wrinkled khaki shorts for the entire 15-day cruise; anytime I saw him in the mornings or otherwise, that's what he wore. I noticed it, but did if affect my dinner or enjoyment of my company and the cruise? 

Not in the slightest.

Here's an interesting distinction: it's acceptable for a man to wear an obnoxious button shirt whose pattern rivals the worst op-art ever conceived--but it's not okay to wear black jeans that are neat, clean, barely noticeable. Granted, Viking made a rule against jeans; I would submit that the rule was aimed at BLUE jeans, especially faded ones, and ones with holes.

Life's too short to worry about such trivial nonsense; we're lucky to be able to take these incredible trips, and I plan to savor every moment of it. 

• Like 5

I do not care what others wear to dinner whatsoever.  I do care if they're loud.  In our recent cruise a gentleman loudly told the waiter that he apologized for forgetting his hearing aids while in Chef's Table.  He then proceeded to talk to the neighboring table.  We, along with one other unrelated couple, asked to be moved into another room.  Would have simply left if no tables were available in the other room.

I also do not like the complete lack of regulation of the dress code.  I've thought about why it bothers me and can't really think of a sound reason.  All I can come up with is I'd like everyone be held to clear standard, assuming there are going to be standards. 

On this last trip, there were a couple instances of baseball caps combined with loud athletic polos and extremely worn & faded dockers in Manfredi's and the Chefs Table.  Humorous how that was acceptable but fashionable denim and a modern, cashmere hoodie would be in violation.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, friendlyfifer said:

You’re simply being obtuse. If you are struggling with the Viking dress standards then choose another cruise line. There are plenty who wouldn’t object to your torn/ distressed look.

I'm not being obtuse.  I'm merely pointing out that Viking's rules offer plenty of leeway to infuriate people who are upset by the presence of denim or distressed garments in the dining rooms.

Rules should be clear, understandable by most, and enforceable with a minimum of confusion. Azamara seems to achieve that with a minimum of words.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Viking might want to revise/refine their policy. Pretty clear (to me at least) that the purpose is to keep ratty blue jeans out of the specified areas. Maybe the bigger issue is that they have customers who wear them.

Then they would have to define the term “ratty”. It’s in the eye of the beholder — sort of like how long can you vacate your lounger. 

7 minutes ago, millybess said:

Then they would have to define the term “ratty”. It’s in the eye of the beholder — sort of like how long can you vacate your lounger. 

If they don't use it they don't have to define it. That was just my word. Hence the "revise/refine" portion of of my comment.

1 hour ago, duquephart said:

Viking might want to revise/refine their policy. Pretty clear (to me at least) that the purpose is to keep ratty blue jeans out of the specified areas. Maybe the bigger issue is that they have customers who wear them.

To me the bigger issue is they have customers who wear ratty chinos, baseball caps and sports polos to dinner.  If Viking allows this dress, they should simply say shirts and shoes required.

3 hours ago, longterm said:

On our last river cruise, this guy wore what appeared to be the same wrinkled khaki shorts for the entire 15-day cruise; anytime I saw him in the mornings or otherwise, that's what he wore. I noticed it, but did if affect my dinner or enjoyment of my company and the cruise? 

OMG! On my very first cruise with MSC, we did an 11 (or 12?) day cruise in the Caribbean. It was our first cruising experience, so were new and learning a lot of things. About 50% of the ship were passengers from Europe. In fact, our CD, who was often on deck, spoke 6 languages fluently. I loved watching her speak to various passengers and listen to her switch between them all flawlessly.

Anyway, there was a couple, much older, and the gentleman we called plaid & stripes. He wore a plaid shirt and striped shorts every day! The same ones! Now, yes, it's possible something happened to their luggage, and I'm sure rules were different 25 years ago with reimbursement, but still! It was literally the same outfit every day!

The OP also asked about shuttles and I recall only one reply. Evidently there is greater clarity about what a shuttle is (but not necessarily if and when provided by Viking if one is not available by the port) than there is about application of the evening dress policy.

Seems the shuttle policy (Viking has one? or at least guests have expectations) is being unduly neglected. Can’t we have fun with this too? 🙃

• Like 1