Elegant Night Standard

What is the realistic men’s standard for Elegant nights these days?   Twenty-five years ago I rented a tux on my honeymoon, and then on cruises after that I always wore a sports jacket.

I have heard it is much more relaxed now and I rather not dress up, but I rather not stick out like a sore thumb or get hassled either.   If I wore a button down dress shirt and dressy shorts is that going to fly or do I still need to wear pants?😆

It's pretty much anything goes these days.  I have seen shorts, but it is not the norm.  If you want to not stick out,  Dockers or nice jeans with a collared shirt will work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You can wear whatever you want. They'll probably only say something if you try to wear beachwear, but even then you'd probably be fine because I see lots of bathing suits in the Lido buffet these days and nothing is done about it.

36 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

Just don't forget to wear a big cowboy hat or baseball cap, and leave it on the whole time you are eating🥺

Good to know.

• Haha 2

Answer depends on your traveling companions...if solo, as desired but if your spouse is hoping for a nice dressy photo, well   "Black shades, white gloves
Lookin' sharp, lookin' for love"

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Mostly I wear a coat and tie.  Sometimes I will wear a coat and a collared or Polo shirt.  We miss the old days but are finding easy to roll with this change.  

• Like 2

As long as you aren't wearing anything prohibited you should be fine, which is: 

• Not permitted: jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, t-shirts, sportswear, exercise and athletic wear, shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire 

Shorts are not listed as acceptable for Elegant night, but as long as they are dressy shorts they'll probably be ok. 

14 hours ago, mz-s said:

You can wear whatever you want. They'll probably only say something if you try to wear beachwear, but even then you'd probably be fine because I see lots of bathing suits in the Lido buffet these days and nothing is done about it.

A few weeks back on Venezia early seating dinner, there were two women in bikinis with mesh coverups.  It's pretty much anything goes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, davy jones said:

A few weeks back on Venezia early seating dinner, there were two women in bikinis with mesh coverups.  It's pretty much anything goes.

I laugh when people on here stress over if their "dressy" (whatever that means) shorts are acceptable...the reality is they'll feel overdressed when they actually get on the cruise if their clothes cover their thighs and clavicles.

Edited by mz-s
  • Haha 1

OP, I'd say the median is Dockers/button down. Can you get away with dressy shorts on Elegant night? Perhaps. Is it a 'technical' violation? Yes. So if you choose to go that route understand the potential risk. I wear nice shorts essentially every night except Elegant.

• Like 4

Every night for dinner, whether in the Main Dining Room or a specialty restaurant (or even the Lido deck), I wear slacks and a nice polo shirt.  I'll wear a sweater if I am cold or if She Who Must Be Obeyed suggests it.

I still wear a sports coat when I board the ship.  Not for photos, but for the inside pockets -- passports, boarding passes, etc.  I usually don't wear it during the cruise, but I do for Celebrity and Princess cruises. 

I have not packed my tux for a cruise in over a decade -- because the tux requires patent leather shoes and all sorts of accessories.  Too much hassle!  Even for Celebrity!

• Like 1