Sun Princess MDR - Shared Tables?

rmsmith

In looking at videos of the Sun Princess dining room(s), it looks like they have moved to mostly 2 and 4 person tables, perhaps some 6 tops.  Have they effectively done away with the larger tables?  Despite being a introvert I've historically enjoyed dining at the larger tables and talking with people I don't know. 

If that is the case that will be a bit of a bummer on our upcoming 16 night TA.  Don't get me wrong, love my wife and the friends who are traveling with us, but I know their life story and experiences.  Let me learn about someone new!

Robert

3 hours ago, rmsmith said:

In looking at videos of the Sun Princess dining room(s), it looks like they have moved to mostly 2 and 4 person tables, perhaps some 6 tops.  Have they effectively done away with the larger tables?  Despite being a introvert I've historically enjoyed dining at the larger tables and talking with people I don't know. 

If that is the case that will be a bit of a bummer on our upcoming 16 night TA.  Don't get me wrong, love my wife and the friends who are traveling with us, but I know their life story and experiences.  Let me learn about someone new!

Robert

I agree with you Robert

Me and the wife are on the Sun in nine weeks time and booked on second sitting in the Deck 6 MDR. We would miss not being on a table of eight each night when not eating in the specialty restaurants.

6 hours ago, rmsmith said:

Robert

I think that this decision was made bases upon the overwhelming number of requests for private tables.  

5 hours ago, 555 said:

I think that this decision was made bases upon the overwhelming number of requests for private tables.  

I would not be surprised by that at all, I think the square tables also gives them a higher density of table space. those large round tables tend to have a lot of wasted space in the middle and then also around them in terms of table spacing.

Just came off the Sun Princess.  When we asked to be seated at the dining room each night, we asked to share a table.  They always put us with other people at a 4 or 6 seater and we met some lovely people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hlperez said:

Just came off the Sun Princess.  When we asked to be seated at the dining room each night, we asked to share a table.  They always put us with other people at a 4 or 6 seater and we met some lovely people.

I hope we get that chance as we enjoy shared tables and leave tomorrow.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hlperez said:

Were you dining on Deck 6 or 7?

• Like 1

On 6/7/2024 at 12:17 AM, rmsmith said:

Robert

Just off the Sun. We had seen tables for 8, not too many.

• Thanks 1

On 6/7/2024 at 12:17 AM, rmsmith said:

Robert

We are also on the Sept 23 TA from Southampton.  We too love sharing.  Was so disappointed when Princess went to Anytime.  We were able to get a share table for 8 (we prefer 6) on our 21 day Med last year even though it was at 5:30.  But everyone got off after 2nd week and they moved us to a table for 2.

I had heard Sun has definite traditional fixed shared seating but not sure what time or on which floor. Or how to request it on the app.

And, eff in September I think, all ships in fleet with offer traditional.

It's obvious that most people prefer to eat by themselves by the number of tables for 2.

I still can't grasp the attraction of eating at one of the larger tables, unless it's with a family. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 555 said:

It's obvious that most people prefer to eat by themselves by the number of tables for 2.

I still can't grasp the attraction of eating at one of the larger tables, unless it's with a family. 

It’s always been fun meeting people at supper, chatting and comparing notes.  I do miss the old traditional dining though where you got the same table mates and waiters each night.

• Like 1

I just seen this posting and there may be 7 or 8 of us that possibly be doing the Sun Princess next year. One of our main things was to EAT together in the evening, so as you can see, a large table would be what we would want too.

We have a cruise booked for September aboard Sky Princess. I understand that within the next week the "New" dining arrangements will be available whereby you can choose between fixed dining, early or later, anytime dining via the app or walk in. We will be opting for the fixed second sitting (around 8.15 I believe) and am hoping for a table of six. Being pretty bad at remembering names although I have in the past dined at a table of eight, I tend to go no bigger than six. But have done a table of four when we bumped into some friends on a past cruise. Having recently accessed the app I noted an option for my table position which I opted for a window table. So am hoping a table of six will be made available as like others have commented I do like meeting new people and have made friends who we have kept in touch with since.

• Like 1

Thanks for your input as it looks like it won't be long before you will be doing the Sky Princess. We were on the Regal earlier this year, and our dining (because there were 8 of us) in the MDR was pretty late, but it still worked out alright. When we did the specialty restaurants, those weren't quite as late.This way when we came back from a port, we did not have to hurry to get to dinner.

I like the shared tables but I always ask for a table for six. The tables that are for eight people or larger Make it such that you only end up talking to the people on either side of you. With the smaller tables for six, You end up being able to talk with everyone at the table.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

I like the shared tables but I always ask for a table for six. The tables that are for eight people or larger Make it such that you only end up talking to the people on either side of you. With the smaller tables for six, You end up being able to talk with everyone at the table.

It was quite funny a few years ago on a cruise where we had a table of eight. Two of the couples seemed intent on trying to outdo one another by going to a certain Speciality restaurant call caf'e Bordeaux. We got on fine with them all and the remaining couple a nice Scottish lady and gent also saw the funny side of it. On finishing the cruise we always say goodbye to the passengers we meet, but one couple decided they wouldn't bother. No skin of my nose as we say in the UK. 

Up till the past 3 or more years, my friend (my husband is a home body) and I would cruise, and generally wound up at a larger table. We met some wonderful people from ALL walks of life, and I am still friends with some of them.