Canadian Border Strike and Cruises with Stop in Canada

Next week we have a cruise that stops in Halifax.  Anxiously awaiting to hear if there is a Canadian Border strike.  If it does go through, it won't be a complete shut down, but service slowed down.

Anyone know what will happen to our stop in Halifax if the strike does go through?  i.e. Would they cancel the port all together (which is our one and only  port)?  Or would it just mean that we may not be allowed off the ship for awhile (e.g. maybe 12pm instead of 8:30am)?

CBSA's processing of passengers is very different than with land or air entry, and  generally is based on the passenger manifest provided days in advance of the ship's arrival in port. Whether that makes it less likely for the strike to have an impact on cruises remains to be seen, but I doubt that your cruise would bypass Halifax. My best guess is that you might face a slight delay disembarking.

2 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Next week we have a cruise that stops in Halifax.  Anxiously awaiting to hear if there is a Canadian Border strike.  If it does go through, it won't be a complete shut down, but service slowed down.

Anyone know what will happen to our stop in Halifax if the strike does go through?  i.e. Would they cancel the port all together (which is our one and only  port)?  Or would it just mean that we may not be allowed off the ship for awhile (e.g. maybe 12pm instead of 8:30am)?

If the itinerary is round trip out of a US port and there is a single port of call the port is unlikely to be cancelled as that would make it a cruise to nowhere. Something I believe is not allowed to non-US flagged cruise ships. To do with crew visas I believe.

34 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

CBSA's processing of passengers is very different than with land or air entry, and  generally is based on the passenger manifest provided days in advance of the ship's arrival in port. Whether that makes it less likely for the strike to have an impact on cruises remains to be seen, but I doubt that your cruise would bypass Halifax. My best guess is that you might face a slight delay disembarking.

Good to hear. This is what I am hoping.  We were just going to explore ourselves but looking forward to Halifax as never been there.  Hopefully it won't impact anyone with a private excursion.

2 minutes ago, broberts said:

If the itinerary is round trip out of a US port and there is a single port of call the port is unlikely to be cancelled as that would make it a cruise to nowhere. Something I believe is not allowed to non-US flagged cruise ships. To do with crew visas I believe.

Yes.  It starts and ends in New Jersey and Halifax is the only stop. (It's just a 4 day cruise).

1 hour ago, LuCruise said:

Good to hear. This is what I am hoping.  We were just going to explore ourselves but looking forward to Halifax as never been there.  Hopefully it won't impact anyone with a private excursion.

Speaking as a former Haligonian, I'm sure that you'll enjoy your day there. If you are going to explore on your own and are looking for ideas, I'd be happy to make some suggestions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Speaking as a former Haligonian, I'm sure that you'll enjoy your day there. If you are going to explore on your own and are looking for ideas, I'd be happy to make some suggestions.

Would love to hear your suggestions.  Thanks. 🙂

22 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Would love to hear your suggestions.  Thanks. 🙂

I live 20 minutes from port now and am happy to answer questions

On 6/7/2024 at 2:43 PM, broberts said:

If the reason for canceling the port call is out of the cruise line's control, such as this strike, there would be a waiver of PVSA requirements, and CBP work visa requirements.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, deepcman said:

And once again Chicken Little is proven wrong. Strike averted and the sky is not falling. Everyone can sleep tonight.

so happy to hear this on the news yesterday with a road trip next week!

12 hours ago, deepcman said:

And once again Chicken Little is proven wrong. Strike averted and the sky is not falling. Everyone can sleep tonight.

Technically, we're not out of the woods yet. While the union negotiators have accepted the new deal, it still has to voted on by the membership rank and file. I doubt there will be any problems, but there have been recent cases of accepted "deals" being thrown back in the face of union management once the membership gets to vote on the deal and reject it. Our fingers are firmly crossed, we drive to Boston in a few weeks for a cruise.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, deepcman said:

I guess you see the glass as half empty. They were never going to close the borders as they're essential workers. It would just have taken longer to cross. 

they were planning to work to rule which would have caused serious delays. backups

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

they were planning to work to rule which would have caused serious delays. backups

Exactly correct. Imagine the lineups when they decide to spend 10 minutes interviewing EACH arriving driver or passenger.....

1 hour ago, deepcman said:

I guess you see the glass as half empty. They were never going to close the borders as they're essential workers. It would just have taken longer to cross. 

Nothing half empty about it. I have no interest in spending 5 hours sitting at a border crossing enduring work to rule when a normal drive through would have taken 10 minutes.

We have called in Halifax on the Queen Mary 2 three times and disembarked an Atlantic crossing once.  At no time did we speak to a border agent. The ship's pursers staff met with the officials and within a short time we were invited to go ashore.  If there is a "semi-strike" I hope it will still be easy for the passengers.  

Posted (edited)

Thanks all. OP here and returning from our cruise. Since my post, they extended their talks to Wednesday with our Halifax stop Thursday so still wasn't sure if we would be impacted. Then it got extended to Friday. Phew , our port stop not impacted....but we are from Toronto so wasn't sure the impact returning at the airport. Luckily it seems ok now and won't be delays returning.

Glad others are not impacted too 

Edited by LuCruise