Royal Up?

Just got an email from royal up. Was wondering if it is real or what? can you really bid on better cabins? any info would be helpfull.. thanks in advance.

They are real, but, based on posts here, the success rate isn't great. But there are many who have benefited from this offer.

We received a Royal Up email for our last cruise aboard Harmony. We put a bid in for a Junior Suite even though I checked online and none of the categories offered showed any availability. Sure enough, we didn't get upgraded. 

It's not always a fail. We recently sailed on a different cruise line that offers a similar program (MSC). I put a bid in as from oceanview to balcony and it was successful. 

1 hour ago, kilndude said:

Just got an email from royal up. Was wondering if it is real or what? can you really bid on better cabins? any info would be helpfull.. thanks in advance.

It's very real... I'm 1/9 in my success of bidding for upgrades.

Check the cost of the cabin you are bidding on before bidding and compare with your current cost plus bid times 2.  You pay bid for first two people in cabin.  Note that if you win, you have no choice of cabin and your credit card is charged immediately. 

Also, if you have a guarantee and get assigned a better cabin, change your bids immediately.  For example, if you have a guaranteed inside and happen to be assigned a balcony but have bid on a balcony, the old active bid can give you a different balcony and charge you for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sizzlechest said:

Has anyone checked if the minimum bids are lower than if the room was purchased originally?

I did that a few months ago when we were offered RU from our JS to GS (1 bedroom). I found the price we paid for the JS plus the minimum upgrade bid was about $1200 less than the going rate for the GS. We put in the minimum bid (plus a small bump up) but have heard nothing and probably will not.

Be aware that you may get a cabin in an undesirable location .

I always book an ocean view balcony on Oasis class sandwiched between cabins above and below me and not across from service areas.

I wouldnt consider it an upgrade to a suite on deck 14 under the pool deck with chairs being dragged around in the early morning.

We're two days from sailing and noticed this A.M. that our slightly above minimum bid has disappeared from the cruise planner on the web site. No notification, no charge card billed so I guess our bid has been flushed. Oh well... not surprising. 😐