Hotel in NYC

We are coming in 1 day before our cruise (arrival time 8:30 am). Hubby has never been to NYC and would like to see 9/11 memorial, Grand Central Station and Times Square. We also want to try awesome New York pizza. We are sailing on Venezia out of MCT. 
I have picked a few hotels and would like advice on which is best to see what we want to see. Rates are all similar.

1. Artezen in the Financial District 

2. Doubletree Times Square South

3. Hilton Garden Inn New York/Midtown Park Ave

Thank you in advance for your advice. 

1 hour ago, Indiansbaseball said:

We are coming in 1 day before our cruise (arrival time 8:30 am). Hubby has never been to NYC and would like to see 9/11 memorial, Grand Central Station and Times Square. We also want to try awesome New York pizza. We are sailing on Venezia out of MCT. 
I have picked a few hotels and would like advice on which is best to see what we want to see. Rates are all similar.

Based on what you said here the majority of what you want to see and do is in Midtown and you are departing from Midtown on your cruise-- I would pick a hotel in Midtown which would scratch the Artezen off your list. 

You can easily take the subway, taxi, or Uber down to the 9/11 Memorial at any point although that will take a significant chunk of time out. The Doubletree Times Square South is most likely the most centrally located. The Hilton Garden Inn Midtown Park Ave is a little bit South of the main tourist area of Midtown but its not a far walk and you aren't far from Grand Central. 

There is another Doubletree at Lexington and 51st that's worth looking into. If you are a Hilton person (which it appears you are by HGI and Doubletree) also worth looking at the New York Hilton on 54th and 6th. It's just a touch out of Times Square (which is a good thing) but right in the middle of walking distance for most major sights in Midtown.  

Pizza is subjective and you'll get a thousand passionate answers. For most people not from the area even ok New York pizza is pretty good pizza. Its not a definitive list but this covers a decent amount of some of the better ones: https://ny.eater.com/maps/nyc-essential-pizza-pizzeria. Di Fara, while a bit of a trek for you, is worth the hype. Dont get me wrong, I love pizza but personally I'd go grab a pastrami with mustard on rye from Katz's before I would go on a search for the best slice of pizza. 

• Like 1

The places you want to visit aren't necessarily close to each other, but it can work. 

@princeton123211 gave a pretty good run down. Although I was going to go for the Artezen as the nicer looking hotel...

Times Square depends on what you want to see and do. It's kind of a big outdoor amusement park. 5-10 minutes and get me the h*** out of here, or you're going into every shop in Times Square plus the Hard Rock. Grand Central is neat, and at one time there were walking tours of the building. Whether to stay in the Financial District or Midtown in your case for me would depend on how much time you want to spend in the different locations. It's an easy walk from the Times Square area to Grand Central (there's also the 42nd Street Shuttle from 42nd Street Times Square to Grand Central). It's a subway ride to the 9/11 Memorial. If Times Square and Grand Central are quick "I was there" stops and the 9/11 Memorial is the real draw, then look more closely downtown. I would definitely look at the other Hilton properties mentioned!

If you stay in Times Square and are pressed for time (as you will be...), John's of Times Square on 44th Street for pizza. If you have more time and stay downtown, stop in the Village and go to John's of Bleecker Street. Pizza purists will tell you to go to Brooklyn for Di Fara and others. If you've got a day, you probably won't do that.

I'm the frequent visitor to Manhattan who's never been to Katz's. I like pizza. And other much more expensive things...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The big draw is 9/11 and I think we will spend most time there. Just wanted him to have a peek at Times Square, not into shopping. Grand Central is a biggie for him. But just a peek and a quick walk around. I’ve been to Katz ! Yumm. We were recommended Grimaldi’s by our Dr. who went to school in NY. 
Artezen got great reviews and is within walking distance to 9/11. 

Edited by Indiansbaseball
Typos

10 minutes ago, Indiansbaseball said:

The only issue there is that Lower Manhattan is pretty dead after 5pm and all day on the weekends. Significantly less to see, do, eat, and drink. If that's ok then all good-- but just know what you're getting into. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

The only issue there is that Lower Manhattan is pretty dead after 5pm and all day on the weekends. Significantly less to see, do, eat, and drink. If that's ok then all good-- but just know what you're getting into. 

Flying in on Thursday…sailing on Friday. I’m looking at your other suggestions. Appreciate your advice. 

The biggest challenge, with one day, even one long day, is doing Midtown and Downtown locations. Your "just have a look" stops can still grow in time. And I do agree that there will generally be more to do in Midtown than Downtown./Lower Manhattan.

What are you seeing for rates? There are "non-affiliated" hotels near Times Square that can be great. Especially for one night and a bit of a splurge. I'm a Marriott guy so I don't know the Hilton properties very well. One of our current favorite, non-Marriott locations is the Michelangelo on 51st Street. Generally large rooms, boutique ish hotel. Can be pricey, or not. One I'd explore if you look beyond Hilton.

Grimaldi's is in Brooklyn. Just across the Brooklyn Bridge. With a day, that may be a bridge too far (pun intended).

• Haha 1

Artezen got great reviews and is within walking distance to 9/11

Members of my immediate family spend a couple of weekends a year in lower Manhattan and the Artezen is their hotel of choice.

• Like 1

Check out The Muse near Times Square.  Close to the subway for your ride down to 9/11.  Lot's of places to eat around this hotel.   Did you plan on going to the 9/11 area more than one day.  As others have said, it is really empty after everyone leaves the office.   

• Like 1

On 6/14/2024 at 4:59 PM, Indiansbaseball said:

The big draw is 9/11 and I think we will spend most time there. Just wanted him to have a peek at Times Square, not into shopping. Grand Central is a biggie for him. But just a peek and a quick walk around. I’ve been to Katz ! Yumm. We were recommended Grimaldi’s by our Dr. who went to school in NY. 

The Artezen in FiDi would be perfect for you. I love Financial District. Besides 9/11 Memorial and Museum, you can walk to Battery Park and view the Statue of Liberty. Take a walking tour of old New York. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dancing Shoes said:

Check out The Muse near Times Square.  Close to the subway for your ride down to 9/11.  Lot's of places to eat around this hotel.   Did you plan on going to the 9/11 area more than one day.  As others have said, it is really empty after everyone leaves the office.   

I disagree FiDi is really empty. They can go to Stone Street, the South Street Seaport is revitalized with nice restaurants. Or it’s an easy Uber ride to SoHo, Meatpacking District or the Village where there are packed restaurants if you want crowds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Dancing Shoes said:

No, just one day in NYC ! 

13 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

The Artezen in FiDi would be perfect for you. I love Financial District. Besides 9/11 Memorial and Museum, you can walk to Battery Park and view the Statue of Liberty. Take a walking tour of old New York. 

Thank you !!! 

On 6/15/2024 at 11:11 PM, Got2Cruise said:

Of course the term FIDI, which seems to be coming into very limited use, and which might have been applicable decades ago, is rather pointless now- with the current geographic spreading of New York’s finance industry:  to Brooklyn (Metrotech Center), New Jersey (largely Weehawken) and midtown Manhattan (as along Sixth Avenue).

There is no point in trying to rename the old financial district from  “Wall Street”, which retains geographic reference, to a meaningless trendy-sounding bi-syllable.

On 6/14/2024 at 1:59 PM, Indiansbaseball said:

There are 6 hour tours that take you to all those places by bus. I will be doing that since ir's overnight flight & I may be a little tired to walk/taxi/subway. They are $89 to $99

• Like 1

On 6/14/2024 at 1:51 PM, Indiansbaseball said:

Thank you in advance for your advice. 

Best location is definitely Doubletree, which we normally really like , lots of things in walking distance. 

• Like 1

The one I listed in Times Square South ?

That’s a couple of blocks from Times square’s, walking distance to lots of restaurants, pizza places, Broadway shows etc , yes Times Square south . 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Indiansbaseball said:

The one I listed in Times Square South ?

Times Square South is an interesting marketing concept. The hotel is 8th Avenue and 36th Street. I’d call it Penn Station area, but as George said it’s not far from Times Square. The traditional southern boundary of Times Square is 42d Street. 

• Like 1

Live in DC area & go up to NYC at least once or twice a year--shows, museums, meet up with friends,  The only place we will stay is the Casablanca Hotel on W 43rd & Broadway, around the corner from Times Square.  Great location.  Small boutique hotel, reasonable (for NYC & location), great friendly service, comfy 24 hr lounge with continental breakfast & drinks / snacks included in rate.  Like that the beat cops stop in regularly for free coffee; keep an eye on the place.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vakamalua said:

Live in DC area & go up to NYC at least once or twice a year--shows, museums, meet up with friends,  The only place we will stay is the Casablanca Hotel on W 43rd & Broadway, around the corner from Times Square.  Great location.  Small boutique hotel, reasonable (for NYC & location), great friendly service, comfy 24 hr lounge with continental breakfast & drinks / snacks included in rate.  Like that the beat cops stop in regularly for free coffee; keep an eye on the place.

Casablanca has had some great reviews, but I prefer another boutique hotel the Michealanglo we have stayed there a dozen or so times , on 51st and 7ave , smallest room is 400 square ft , we get the 600 sq Ft suite or the 800 sq Ft suite with two full bathrooms.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2024 at 2:10 PM, Indiansbaseball said:

Thank you all ! I still haven’t decided ! 🙄

I'm the same, I'm so indecisive on the best spot. I'm leaning Michelangelo, mainly because it looks pretty easy to walk to both Central Park, 30 Rock and Times Square, and we are probably going to buy tickets for one of those hop on hop off buses and they stop nearby as well. 9-11 Memorial and Intrepid Museum are on those routes, so will probably get around that way and also sightsee, rather than subway.  Plus, I like the room sizes at Michelangelo. We are there 2 nights and I hate rooms that don't have places to sit other than on the bed. 

• Like 2