Seattle round trip Alaska rough seas?

Kitty Ellas Mom

Posted (edited)

I'm sure this has been covered a lot, but I'm contemplating a Seattle round trip to Alaska which I didn't consider before b/c I was determined to do the Vancouver to Whittier (booked 2020, 2021...). But I want to go with a group that's going there in early July 2025, and plus Seattle is massively lower cost for airfare for us coming from the east coast, and I always wanted to see Seattle.

But I'm scared of the day that the ship goes from Seattle to Alaska, b/c of rough seas.  I did not get at all seasick on my one cruise so far but it was a Canada / New England from NYC to Quebec City.  I don't remember hearing anything before the cruise about rough seas on that itinerary.  One of my teenage sons gets motion sick from things like roller coasters (and even Hamilton, b/c of watching the rotating stage).  I brought all the seasickness meds, ginger candies, and sea bands on my one cruise and didn't need to use any of it, so I know what to bring.  If this son comes I may get him the prescription patch.

Are there other parts of the itinerary to be scared of beyond just that first and last sea day?  This is Royal Princess July 5, 2025 that includes Skagway, Juneau, Ketchican and Glacier Bay (I probalby got the order wrong...).

Edited by Kitty Ellas Mom

I do not understand the statement that you are "scared" after the ship leaves Seattle.  What is there to be scared of?  While I do not think that the best Alaska itineraries are from Seattle we have never had any issues with high seas which would have made us uncomfortable.

• Like 1

Seattle is often worse than the one ways out of Vancouver that do the inside passage since Seattle goes into open ocean outside of Vancouver island. While air fare may be cheaper to Seattle, the one way cruises from Vancouver to Whittier or Seward are often cheaper. It often balances itself out. The one way cruises have much longer times in port and often have 2 glacier days. 

Plus - you can often spend time in Seattle and take a bus (or train) to Vancouver. Though Vancouver is worth seeing also. The cruise lines frequently run buses from Seattle airport to the pier in Vancouver.

• Like 3

I will also say the first and last day have the potential for the choppiest seas. This can be true for Vancouver also (though usually less than Seattle).

I would consult doctor about sea sickness and see what they recommend.

• Like 3

My very first cruise was to Alaska in 2006 on Regent. Can’t recall if it was on Mariner or Voyager. It was 7 days from Vancouver to Seward. Next to last day we were in the Gulf of Alaska in a terrible storm. We had 15 foot waves. Just making the point that you can encounter rough seas just about anywhere. 

Just wondering why some posters don’t care for the Seattle itineraries. I’m looking at a 10 day cruise round trip Seattle next summer and the itinerary looks as good as the 7 day itineraries out of Vancouver or Seward. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shawski said:

My very first cruise was to Alaska in 2006 on Regent. Can’t recall if it was on Mariner or Voyager. It was 7 days from Vancouver to Seward. Next to last day we were in the Gulf of Alaska in a terrible storm. We had 15 foot waves. Just making the point that you can encounter rough seas just about anywhere. 

Just wondering why some posters don’t care for the Seattle itineraries. I’m looking at a 10 day cruise round trip Seattle next summer and the itinerary looks as good as the 7 day itineraries out of Vancouver or Seward. 

7 day itineraries out of Seattle give a notable amount less time in ports. 10 day cruise adds critical time for you.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I thought I had posted this earlier but apparently it didn't take. I'm thinking about going on a group cruise for which this is the itinerary so I couldn't change it. Also, I used to be certain I wanted the Vancouver to Whittier itinerary but if I'm going to bring my family the cost of those plane tix is prohibitive. Seattle tix are doable. We're coming from the DC area. Thank you all for your input.

Edited by Kitty Ellas Mom

2 hours ago, Shawski said:

Seattle is 100 miles south of Vancouver, so that adds 200 miles to the trip. They also have to stop in Victoria, so with the trip to the pilot station, docking/undocking and time alongside it adds about another 8 hrs. To account for the additional steaming miles and time in Victoria, the Seattle ships must either spend less time in port or steam at higher speed - more bunkers, at increased cost.

The Seattle ships must sail R/T due to the US Cabotage Regulations (PVSA), so only visit the touristy SE Alaska. Only longer cruises from Seattle can reach Prince William Sound and the spectacular College Fjord. Since they sail West of Vancouver Island, they spend the entire first and last days in open ocean.

Vancouver also has R/T cruises, which spend more time in protected waters and spend longer in port. The one-way cruises from Vancouver and Whittier/Seward spend a day crossing open ocean, but pax have the choice of this experience, or a 7-day R/T cruise from Vancouver.

My preference for Vancouver is based on having the option for R/T, or cruising up to Prince William Sound, longer average time in port and more time scenic cruising. Personally, I spent too many years crossing oceans, so have no desire to sail from Seattle, spending 2 days in the Pacific Ocean.

BTW - we all have different definitions of terrible storms, but as a mariner who worked this coast for many years, 15' seas are fairly average, hardly a terrible storm.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

I thought I had posted this earlier but apparently it didn't take. I'm thinking about going on a group cruise for which this is the itinerary so I couldn't change it. Also, I used to be certain I wanted the Vancouver to Whittier itinerary but if I'm going to bring my family the cost of those plane tix is prohibitive. Seattle tix are doable. We're coming from the DC area. Thank you all for your input.

Cruise fares are often cheaper on one way. Often the price balances out with air fare.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shawski said:

\

Because you are adding 3 extra days which will allow you to have a 10 day cruise out of Seattle which is similar to a 7 night out of Vancouver. For those of us with limited vacation - we would do the 7 night. You most likely have more sea days with your 10 day than a 7 night.

If your cruise was 7 nights out of Seattle, IMO - it would most likely be inferior to 7 night one way cruises.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I personally find west coast cruises to be more prone to choppy / rough water.  On an Alaska cruise the first & last on a round trip out of seattle can be rocky.  Besides the meds, crew have told me about the green apples.  Grab a couple for the cabin from the buffet early in the cruise if they are available.  They help & I often can't wear the patch for more than a day or so because the side effects get too strong.  

On 6/17/2024 at 5:22 AM, Coral said:

Cruise fares are often cheaper on one way. Often the price balances out with air fare.

On 6/14/2024 at 10:27 PM, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

I'm sure this has been covered a lot, but I'm contemplating a Seattle round trip to Alaska which I didn't consider before b/c I was determined to do the Vancouver to Whittier (booked 2020, 2021...). But I want to go with a group that's going there in early July 2025, and plus Seattle is massively lower cost for airfare for us coming from the east coast, and I always wanted to see Seattle.

But I'm scared of the day that the ship goes from Seattle to Alaska, b/c of rough seas.  I did not get at all seasick on my one cruise so far but it was a Canada / New England from NYC to Quebec City.  I don't remember hearing anything before the cruise about rough seas on that itinerary.  One of my teenage sons gets motion sick from things like roller coasters (and even Hamilton, b/c of watching the rotating stage).  I brought all the seasickness meds, ginger candies, and sea bands on my one cruise and didn't need to use any of it, so I know what to bring.  If this son comes I may get him the prescription patch.

Are there other parts of the itinerary to be scared of beyond just that first and last sea day?  This is Royal Princess July 5, 2025 that includes Skagway, Juneau, Ketchican and Glacier Bay (I probalby got the order wrong...).

You could take the bus from SeaTac to Canada place.  Bus fare is only about $40.  We have done that several times.  Check it out on Rome2Rio.

DON

• Like 2