Web site says lower price then no cruise then normal price?

I have been monitoring a Gem cruise that I have coming up. Since it is before final payment I was

very happy to see this morning that for two people the price for my cabin category was $600 less.

So I called NCL this morning and asked if I could have the lower price (in the past if it was before

final payment they always did it). She kept me on hold for quite a while (over 5 minutes) then came

back and said there is no price reduction the price is the same. I mentioned to her what it said

on the website that morning but she was still holding to the original price. So I went onto the

NCL site to double check and my cruise was not even listed as for sale!

So two hours or so later it was again listed on their website for sale at the original price. This is so confusing.

Posted (edited)

I had that happen when a past cruise offer showed for the extra point showed up for our cruise. I had it on my laptop when I called and they told me the cruise wasn't offered. I now take a screenshot of what I see just in case it happens again.

Someone made a mistake when they were updating the different cruises and you happened to catch it.

Edited by philatiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I noticed in another thread that some cruisers learned that the port fees and taxes are added at payment and not included in the original quote. That might be something new? 

59 minutes ago, Texter2 said:

I noticed in another thread that some cruisers learned that the port fees and taxes are added at payment and not included in the original quote. That might be something new? 

No, the taxes and fees are added prior to payment.  There are various promos which must be declined or accepted (FAS, FAS+, BOGO air, etc).   Since various promos are not included in the basic price, this is the only way it can be done.

29 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

No, the taxes and fees are added prior to payment.  There are various promos which must be declined or accepted (FAS, FAS+, BOGO air, etc).   Since various promos are not included in the basic price, this is the only way it can be done.

The amount of taxes and fees is no longer shown until you reach the payment page, which is after you have entered names.  I go to a TA site to get the amount of T&F.  I price lots of cruises and would rather do it anonymously.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Katie H said:

The amount of taxes and fees is no longer shown until you reach the payment page, which is after you have entered names.  I go to a TA site to get the amount of T&F.  I price lots of cruises and would rather do it anonymously.

Well, it's certainly shown on my computer before you get to the payment page where you enter names.  As I've said before, you have to select the various promos before you are given the taxes and fees because the promo determines the fees.  After selecting the promos, then you go to the page where it asks for names.  You are given the prices including T&F before you enter names.  The cruise line knows who you are when you log in well before you do anything else.  

22 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Well, it's certainly shown on my computer before you get to the payment page where you enter names.  As I've said before, you have to select the various promos before you are given the taxes and fees because the promo determines the fees.  After selecting the promos, then you go to the page where it asks for names.  You are given the prices including T&F before you enter names.  The cruise line knows who you are when you log in well before you do anything else.  

I don't log in when checking prices.  What you say is how it always worked for me until the last week or so.  I will check to see if it has changed back.

2 hours ago, Katie H said:

The amount of taxes and fees is no longer shown until you reach the payment page, which is after you have entered names.

Actually, if you search for a cruise, the taxes, fees, and port expenses are shown at the very bottom right hand side...in 0.5 point type 🔍

These do not change no matter what promos you take. What does change is the gratuities on the dining / drinks packages and the daily service charge.

As these are optional (you don't have to take the drinks package or the dining package, and are free to remove the DSC) they will not be shown as part of the headline price.

As the port fees / taxes are not optional, they should be included in the headline price IMO - nothing worse than "Ooooh, we can get this cruise for $900 each", only to shell out double that by the time you get to the final page 😞

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian V said:

Actually, if you search for a cruise, the taxes, fees, and port expenses are shown at the very bottom right hand side...in 0.5 point type 🔍

These do not change no matter what promos you take. What does change is the gratuities on the dining / drinks packages and the daily service charge.

As these are optional (you don't have to take the drinks package or the dining package, and are free to remove the DSC) they will not be shown as part of the headline price.

As the port fees / taxes are not optional, they should be included in the headline price IMO - nothing worse than "Ooooh, we can get this cruise for $900 each", only to shell out double that by the time you get to the final page 😞

You're right!  T&F are shown very tiny as you said on the first screen - before you choose cabin type.  They used to be shown as part of the total after you chose cabin but before entering personal info.  I now know to get that number before I move on to pricing the category I am interested in.  Thanks.

12 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

You can do a mock booking without logging in.

You certainly can but if  you have certain discounts such as veterans, etc., you won't get the true price.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brian V said:

Port fees/taxes that double the cruise fare?

12 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Well, it's certainly shown on my computer before you get to the payment page where you enter names.

Up until recently Port fees/Taxes showed up before making it all the way to actually checking out.  Now, on Chrome, it doesn’t give s final total on the page where you enter Name, etc.  Once you think you have the total, enter names and click to buy, you are surprised with another  $225-$350 pp in taxes..which could be $1000+ depending on the # in your cabin.

Safari currently gives you the full total on the name page.  

32 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Up until recently Port fees/Taxes showed up before making it all the way to actually checking out.  Now, on Chrome, it doesn’t give s final total on the page where you enter Name, etc.  Once you think you have the total, enter names and click to buy, you are surprised with another  $225-$350 pp in taxes..which could be $1000+ depending on the # in your cabin.

Safari currently gives you the full total on the name page.  

So does my version of chrome.  Are you using a phone or a computer?

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

So does my version of chrome.  Are you using a phone or a computer?

iPad.

Again, this is very recent change.  In the past I’ve always used the total on the Name page to compose my booking info for my PCC…until yesterday when she surprised me with a total that was $685 more.  I almost didn’t book.  

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RocketMan275 said:

That could be the problem.

My computer doesn't have that problem.

My PCC said she has reported this issue to management multiple times as people don’t like the surprise…duh.  

33 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

My PCC said she has reported this issue to management multiple times as people don’t like the surprise…duh.  

Understand, but is the issue peculiar to apple products or just Ipad?

This is the same as on my computer. I run absolutely nothing that is evil....errr, Apple. It happens on my HP at home, my Surface at work, and my Samsung phone. It's not a bug. It's a NCL feature.

I believe you Rocketman, but I don't know how you're so special to get the full price prior to adding folks. 

16 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

This is the same as on my computer. I run absolutely nothing that is evil....errr, Apple. It happens on my HP at home, my Surface at work, and my Samsung phone. It's not a bug. It's a NCL feature.

does 

I believe you Rocketman, but I don't know how you're so special to get the full price prior to adding folks. 

the real question is do some not get the full price prior to adding folks.

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Port fees/taxes that double the cruise fare?

Possibly a Panama Canal cruise as I understand that the port fees are quite high.