Ship Design: Queen Anne's large posterior

buchanan101

Noted that this seems a fair bit bigger than QV or QE - presumably like the square Constanzi stern on the QM2 it's designed to fool the water in to thinking the ship  is longer to reduce drag. Just wondered why they didn't lengthen the superstructure as well, rather than just make the waterline longer. I guess it's all part of 101 trade offs in the design process

As an engineer ship design fascinates... but I'm also fascinated by ski lift design; If I was Italian I think I may have been designing ships (or cars), and if Austrian it would have been ski lifts...

I do hope there's someone talking about the ship design on an on board lecture next week - I was surprised that on our QM2 crossing in 2022 there was nothing about the ship

(Photo @MylesS)

image.png.8498606891574e7af1a3d9e0ca6ea82f.png

The "duck tail" is, as you say, to lengthen the waterline length and improve the hull speed of the ship, and also to provide additional buoyancy when pitching, to reduce the pitching, the way that flaring bows reduce pitching.  If you added superstructure above this, it adds weight, which would put the hull further into the water, creating more drag and weight to move (more power), and weight at the extreme end of the ship doesn't help with the pitching.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

The "duck tail" is, as you say, to lengthen the waterline length and improve the hull speed of the ship, and also to provide additional buoyancy when pitching, to reduce the pitching, the way that flaring bows reduce pitching.  If you added superstructure above this, it adds weight, which would put the hull further into the water, creating more drag and weight to move (more power), and weight at the extreme end of the ship doesn't help with the pitching.

I one of his talks, Steve Payne said this is why the aft of traditional ocean liners [e.g. the original Queen Mary] were terraced - and the QM2 copied that design feature.

The QV originally had a terraced stern profile - I don't know if the QV handled pitching movement better with the original stern.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

I one of his talks, Steve Payne said this is why the aft of traditional ocean liners [e.g. the original Queen Mary] were terraced - and the QM2 copied that design feature.

The QV originally had a terraced stern profile - I don't know if the QV handled pitching movement better with the original stern.

I don't think Mr. Payne would have said "the aft", more likely "the stern".  There is no "the aft".

By a terraced stern profile, do you mean that each deck steps back from the one below?  To me, she still has that.  I just now remembered that QV had cabins added at the stern, these were stepped back, just like the original ones.  The duck tail was added to increase the buoyancy required from adding that weight at the stern.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was comparing the near vertical rows of cabins common on many cruise ships with [as a counter example ] QM2 relatively wide deck 6 and 8 terraces [aft of the 'D' staircase]. 

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I don't think Mr. Payne would have said "the aft", more likely "the stern".  There is no "the aft".

By a terraced stern profile, do you mean that each deck steps back from the one below?  To me, she still has that.  I just now remembered that QV had cabins added at the stern, these were stepped back, just like the original ones.  The duck tail was added to increase the buoyancy required from adding that weight at the stern.

Possibly Mr Payne did refer to the Aft as The Stern.  The OldBear and I expect many others on this board and not being in your former profession understood the gist of the post - The Back end, Rear end,  Aft, or Stern it's all the same to many of us   

Edited by Bell Boy
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

Possibly Mr Payne did refer to the Aft as The Stern.  The OldBear and I expect many others on this board and not being in your former profession understood the gist of the post - The Back end, Rear end,  Aft, or Stern it's all the same to many of us   

I agree or colloquially a la buchanan101...big bum! 🙂

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I always thought aft was more a direction than an area.

"Aft" is an adjective (describing a noun "the aft elevator") or an adverb (describing a verb "I am going aft").  It is commonly misused here on CC, and just tends to set my teeth on edge.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

I was taught a ship has a bow and a stern (I notice a few Youtubers always say "the aft" when they should be saying stern") and orientating yourself on the ship things are forward (pronounced "forrard"), midships or aft (or at the bow or stern). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, richard_london said:

I was taught a ship has a bow and a stern (I notice a few Youtubers always say "the aft" when they should be saying stern") and orientating yourself on the ship things are forward (pronounced "forrard"), midships or aft (or at the bow or stern). 

YouTubers usually say “front and back”… not impressed when they say that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, buchanan101 said:

Funny you should say that, I have a video on in the background and I imgagine you too would not appreciate that he said "moving towards the aft". Also it is a deck, not a floor or a level. 

10 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

You'd have hated a captain I used to crew for - it was the pointy end and the blunt end! Below deck was downstairs, while up the masts was upstairs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A few years ago I attended a maritime history conference and a pair of researchers were looking at written langugage in diaries from people who sailed on steamships (if I recall correctly they looked at 20th century diaries) and they observed that as the voyage progressed the writers increasingly used nautical terms in their entries.  So it must be something in our brains that does this even if people don't use it quite right. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maggielou362 said:

Queen Anne doesn't have a very elegant rear view with Hugh Jarse on board. Not as pretty as her sisters, is she?

The bit that is wrong for me is the bridge is too low.

Still Annie's rear end is way better looking than this P&O horror (which looks awful from the front as well with the bridge struts, or any of the mega floating gin palaces which are just gross

Azura (P&O Cruises) - Simplon Postcards - www.simplonpc.co.uk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

That's SO ugly! I just googled a front view of Azura, i see what you mean about the struts. I think somebody welded a block of flats onto a barge and soldered on a hospital walkway/airbridge crosswise to the front to serve as the bridge. 

• Like 2

I saw the Valiant Lady at Dover before she had entered service. She is breathtakingly ugly, but oddly futuristic looking that makes her interesting on the eye (but not pleasing). 

I'm not fond of the newer Celebrity ships too. When you can't tell from a distance whether it is a cruise ship or a cargo ship under load, I think you've failed the beauty test. 

Certainly makes you appreciate it when you see the more well proportioned ships like the Constellation, even if they now seem tiny in comparison. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clewgarnet said:

image.png.c90be25fab25859e0454e43dd1e89cac.png

Oh my.  She looks like a stapler.  A little bit more colour and she’d be the red stapler from Office Space.  🫢

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5