Let’s Not let QE feel left out…semi-live Alaska report

NE John

Posted (edited)
LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Congrats on your first "Live from..." Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

NE John was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Since we have so many great reviews and onboard commentaries from QM2, QA, and QV I feel bad for our QE!

As mentioned, we are on the June 21 sailing out of Vancouver on a 10 day voyage on QE - my 60th bday wish. We were also recently upgraded to a Q4, so thank you Cunard. 
We have been in Vancouver now for over 24 hours and did some recon around Canada Place today. It’s important to know that if arriving by there by Uber, you’ll be dropped off down the street and you’ll need to carry your luggage and all to the terminal. Not good! Taxi go’ers get dropped off underground with porters taking the bags from the taxi. Source, a cruise terminal worker. I’ll confirm more on Friday. I’m taking a cab.
Below are some pix I posted elsewhere from last 24 hours in Vancouver, pre-cruise. First couple pix are from the plane arriving in Vancouver, the last was excellent dim sum in Chinatown. I must say that while Vancouver is stunning and everyone is so nice, this city has a serious homeless, drug addiction, and mental health issue on the streets around Gastown and Chinatown. I’ve lived in Brooklyn and I’m in NYC everyday and seen it all but what I’ve seen around these two neighborhoods has shaken me (DW too). Be careful going to these areas. More to follow as journey continues…

IMG_4418.jpeg

IMG_4421.jpeg

IMG_4437.jpeg

IMG_4444.jpeg

IMG_4441.jpeg

IMG_4452.jpeg

Edited by NE John
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 6

• NE John changed the title to Let’s Not let QE feel left out…semi-live Alaska report
Posted (edited)

We have been lucky enough to cruise the Inside Passage a few times, the first time over thirty years ago but it's a long time since the last.

Looking forward to your thread even if it will make me very envious. It's a magical cruise, both one way V to Anchorage and V/V.

Enjoy.

Edited by Victoria2
careless typing
  • Like 2

Your taxi will, indeed, bring you underground directly to the baggage drops.  Make sure you have your boarding passes available to continue inside.  It gets somewhat more complicated from there, and the US CBP creates a huge backlog.  I have heard they’ve installed facial recognition so I hope this speeds up the process for you.  Have a great trip and I am looking forward to reading all about it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, techteach said:

@NE John I’m looking forward to reading your posts. Where are you staying in Vancouver and where are you eating? Thanks for the tip about using a cab for drop-off.

JW Marriott Parq. We got a great deal there and this hotel is exceptional. We ate some apps at the Victor Steakhouse onsite here after dim sum at Jade Dynasty on E. Pendar St. If you stay on that street, it’s fine. The other side streets have issues. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 57eric said:

What was your original booking category?

Originally P2. Then I received a call from Cunard about five weeks ago to upgrade to Q6 for a very reasonable fee with the possibility it could be an accessible cabin. Then on final cabin assignment, we got upgraded to Q4. It’s been a journey before the journey starts!
I read that because of Red Sea/Gaza war, cruise ships have been diverted from there to Alaska and Caribbean leading to oversupply and lower fares. 

• Like 3

@NE John, thank you for starting something about my favorite Cunarder! I'll be on her in a few weeks, so your comments will be a good warm-up.

Congratulations on your upgrade! 

I'm sorry to hear Gastown has become so dodgy. It was a bit rough when I was in Vancouver two years ago, but it sounds like it's worse now. That's a shame, as there are some nice restaurants there. 

• Like 2

I look forward to your reports. We are boarding the QE in  a month.  Last year we were upgraded from a Q6 to a Q4.  I have read many comments from people who don't like that category, but we loved it.  We have booked the same for this year. 

• Like 1

We were on QE to Alaska in 2022, then stayed on to Miami. Loved Alaska, the sail out of Vancouver was so beautiful. We also noticed the tent villages and the problems in Vancouver, very sad. 

It was DH's 60th on the day we went to Ketchikan, and I'd arranged a seaplane flight in Vancouver which was amazing. 

Have a wonderful time, looking forward to reading about it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, NE John said:

Originally P2. Then I received a call from Cunard about five weeks ago to upgrade to Q6 for a very reasonable fee with the possibility it could be an accessible cabin. Then on final cabin assignment, we got upgraded to Q4. It’s been a journey before the journey starts!
I read that because of Red Sea/Gaza war, cruise ships have been diverted from there to Alaska and Caribbean leading to oversupply and lower fares. 

Excellent.  Thanks and congratulations.  Hope to have similar luck later this season!

• Like 1

Hey NE John.

We’ve been her a few days. Stayed at Pan Pacific and had the best start of any of our many cruises. 
Handed our 3 large bags off to a bellman who came to our room.

Then we took the elevator directly to the port, strolled through checkin and security and we are about to board any minute.

See ya in QG.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Off to a good start with Sandro as M’d and good table mates around us. QG dining room has a nice atmosphere. Lovely. DW and Sandro got to have a chat in their dialect.
I must say the  Q4 “Penthouse” may have 510 sf of space but feels cramped. Wardrobe hanging space is minimal and living area taken up by huge bar service area. Not convinced on this suite yet…

However, beautiful day and the ship looks wonderful. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 3