Solo pricing back to normal?

On 6/24/2024 at 10:14 AM, drakes2 said:

... being on a previous TA ...

Do the ships tend to do all the entertainment on TAs still?  I was considering doing an inside or window cabin with the spa package add on for a TA to really enjoy the ship - looks like solo supplements are cheaper on some.  But I was concerned they might use it as an opportunity to reduce shows & such.  Do you have a review posted of your trip somewhere?

11 hours ago, OhJinkies said:

I'm cruising solo, so theoretically, this should mean I'm paying 1.25X the original double-occupancy fare.

My searches didn't work out this way.  Once I put in solo, the prices increased greatly.  I won't book another cruise until I've gone on my first celebrity cruise so I have an idea how I feel about the IV.  

Is everyone really finding solo cabins cheaper on black Friday?  I've never looked during the sale, but so far the best solo pricing I've found is independent of any sales.  It feels like they are only reducing supplements on certain cruises where they have low sales - and no rhyme or reason when they are pricing that way.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2024 at 6:53 PM, TGfromTX said:

Does anyone know if the discount for being over 55 applies to solo cabins? I'm not there yet, but I'm getting sort of close...

Nope

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TGfromTX said:

Do the ships tend to do all the entertainment on TAs still?  I was considering doing an inside or window cabin with the spa package add on for a TA to really enjoy the ship - looks like solo supplements are cheaper on some.  But I was concerned they might use it as an opportunity to reduce shows & such.  Do you have a review posted of your trip somewhere?

I didn't post a review of my recent TA but they have 2 shows every evening. During the day there is often movies in the Theatre. I did not go to any of them most likely having lunch or out by pool the crossing this past April was so smooth with nice sunny days I was able to go to the pool every day. There's lots to do on the TA's that one is never bored. They also have Beyond the Podium guest speakers but I can't say for sure it was on my recent one but last year on the Apex crossing there was one who was excellent she spoke every day about all the Women of the Whitehouse as she was there during Clinton's presidency. I used the Spa once had a great 75 minute massage at a discount but next time will get a package.  I've booked another TA for next year on the Ascent just an inside price was very good but I see it has now increased.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, TGfromTX said:

My searches didn't work out this way.  Once I put in solo, the prices increased greatly.  I won't book another cruise until I've gone on my first celebrity cruise so I have an idea how I feel about the IV.  

Is everyone really finding solo cabins cheaper on black Friday?  I've never looked during the sale, but so far the best solo pricing I've found is independent of any sales.  It feels like they are only reducing supplements on certain cruises where they have low sales - and no rhyme or reason when they are pricing that way.

When you indicate only one passenger, it usually doubles your cruise fare (you're paying for the first AND second passenger). But Royal's current sale is for 75% off the second passenger. My starting fare for the 9-day Constellation cruise was $3,480. But I had over $2,300 in discounts. I booked through my TA, so she makes sure I benefit from Florida resident discounts, etc.

I booked my 4-night Celebrity Reflection cruise on November 16 last year - when I priced it for a solo online, it was only around $687. By the time I chose my room and the additional taxes and fees were added, it came to about $820. They also had the classic beverage program, premium Wi-Fi, and Coco Beach Club passes on sale, so I took advantage of those lower prices, as well.

Edited by OhJinkies
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, OhJinkies said:

Ladies, what is a Solo IV room? I'm new to Celebrity. Thanks!!

IV in Celebrity are referring to the Infinite Veranda.

• Like 1

Their version of a balcony on  E class ships (Ascent, Edge, Beyond..) - I regard them as a 'porch' experience instead of 'patio' from descriptions & photos.  Many refer to them similar to sunrooms.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TGfromTX said:

I totally agree.  They are no reducing it on all.  I received an email several days ago promoting last minutes bargains.  The solo pricing was anything but a bargain.

9 hours ago, OhJinkies said:

Ladies, what is a Solo IV room? I'm new to Celebrity. Thanks!!

Its a cabin for one person queen bed as opposed to king less storage space in bathroom less storage for clothes.  No sofa and cabin is a bit smaller than regular IV. The veranda area same size at 42 square feet.  Personally I didn't feel it was well priced for my Mediterranean cruise next year

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Its a cabin for one person queen bed as opposed to king less storage space in bathroom less storage for clothes.  No sofa and cabin is a bit smaller than regular IV. The veranda area same size at 42 square feet.  Personally I didn't feel it was well priced for my Mediterranean cruise next year

If pricing is your main issue with the solo IVs, I plan to book an OV and call back after a few  weeks on my next Celebrity cruise to see what it'd cost to upgrade.  That's sort of how I ended up in this one in July. This will be my first solo trip, so I'm not sure how well I'll like it yet.

I don't think we can see upgrade costs online - I couldn't figure out how to even find them at the time.  But my cabin mate backed out and I called for options available to me.  I was asking about what it'd cost to cancel vs upgrading to a solo or cruising in the OV solo.

When they looked at solo rooms, they offered me a solo IV on a different date for no additional cost(besides what was paid for OV).  I don't think there was one available on the original cruise.

I hadn't booked flights yet, so I took it. The receipt for the change shows a hefty discount to make things zero out.  

3 hours ago, TGfromTX said:

If pricing is your main issue with the solo IVs, I plan to book an OV and call back after a few  weeks on my next Celebrity cruise to see what it'd cost to upgrade.  That's sort of how I ended up in this one in July. This will be my first solo trip, so I'm not sure how well I'll like it yet.

I don't think we can see upgrade costs online - I couldn't figure out how to even find them at the time.  But my cabin mate backed out and I called for options available to me.  I was asking about what it'd cost to cancel vs upgrading to a solo or cruising in the OV solo.

When they looked at solo rooms, they offered me a solo IV on a different date for no additional cost(besides what was paid for OV).  I don't think there was one available on the original cruise.

I hadn't booked flights yet, so I took it. The receipt for the change shows a hefty discount to make things zero out.  

I've just booked a regular inside usually I get a deluxe inside for either the same price or 50 bucks more but on this sailing they want an extra $150 which is robbery,  what for? An extra 10 feet of space? Big deal. The solo IV is priced even worse. An extra $842 for less space and living out of my suitcase due to no chest of drawers. I'll eventually get an IV at the right price just have to be patient.  

15 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I'll eventually get an IV at the right price just have to be patient.  

I'm considering maybe a TA in an inside cabin and paying for the spa package.  I think I saw a balcony for spa guests only on one of the ships.  Looks like it came with a waiter even.  I looks like Celebrity has no dedicated pools/whirlpools in their spas though.  Seems like a big miss on their part.

I will know more after this trip - mainly wanting to try Celebrity dining to see if it is as outstanding as reputation suggests.  I really like NCL shows best of what I've seen so I may go back to that line.  I'm undecided about trying MSC (prices are appealing), but I don't think I have enough patience for the amount of kids that will be on one of their ships.  I asked under that forum and someone responded there aren't many kids on the TA trips.

14 minutes ago, TGfromTX said:

I'm considering maybe a TA in an inside cabin and paying for the spa package.  I think I saw a balcony for spa guests only on one of the ships.  Looks like it came with a waiter even.  I looks like Celebrity has no dedicated pools/whirlpools in their spas though.  Seems like a big miss on their part.

I will know more after this trip - mainly wanting to try Celebrity dining to see if it is as outstanding as reputation suggests.  I really like NCL shows best of what I've seen so I may go back to that line.  I'm undecided about trying MSC (prices are appealing), but I don't think I have enough patience for the amount of kids that will be on one of their ships.  I asked under that forum and someone responded there aren't many kids on the TA trips.

Transatlantics generally don't have kids  I saw one baby on my April TA.  Its a long time for parents to take them out of school. It was great nice and relaxing or if you want busy you have that too. Always something to do.  The ocean was nice and calm during the crossing so a lot of people at the pool and no problem getting loungers. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, TGfromTX said:

On my last TA in October, I was told there were less than 10 children on board.  I only saw one and they were in a baby stroller, was obviously less than 1 year old and the few times I saw, he/she was very happy with the pacifier.  I’m hoping for the same on my April TA.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, TGfromTX said:

NCL used to be my line of choice because of their outstanding entertainment. Those days are over, unfortunately.   They have eliminated almost all of the Broadway caliber shows and replaced them with cheap game shows and other money generating offerings.  I think it’s a mistake because it was what really separated them from the pack.  And as far as no kids are concerned- yes, on most TAs you will find few children but if you want it guaranteed have you considered Virgin?  They really are awesome.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, chefchick said:

NCL used to be my line of choice because of their outstanding entertainment. Those days are over, unfortunately.   They have eliminated almost all of the Broadway caliber shows and replaced them with cheap game shows and other money generating offerings.  I think it’s a mistake because it was what really separated them from the pack.  And as far as no kids are concerned- yes, on most TAs you will find few children but if you want it guaranteed have you considered Virgin?  They really are awesome.

I’ve looked at them, though admittedly, only via YT cruiser reviews and from what I’ve seen, their entertainment just doesn’t appeal to me.

• Like 1

Just now, Liao said:

I’ve looked at them, though admittedly, only via YT cruiser reviews and from what I’ve seen, their entertainment just doesn’t appeal to me.

I am a big believer that not all lines would (or should) appeal to every one, so I get it.  What I think Virgin does very well is live music (and lots of it), the food really is outstanding and the overall vibe is great.  They also have an active solo sailors program and you can be status matched and get great perks on your first sailing.  Just sayin, if you are still in research mode, consider them as well.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, chefchick said:

I am a big believer that not all lines would (or should) appeal to every one, so I get it.  What I think Virgin does very well is live music (and lots of it), the food really is outstanding and the overall vibe is great.  They also have an active solo sailors program and you can be status matched and get great perks on your first sailing.  Just sayin, if you are still in research mode, consider them as well.

I never say never.  I do though, feel that if I sailed on Virgin, I would not want to go solo, which is how I usually cruise.

14 hours ago, chefchick said:

They also have an active solo sailors program and you can be status matched and get great perks on your first sailing.  

I don't think I can afford their trips unless they run sales I don't see posted right now. I'm assuming the solo sailors means rooming with a stranger to make up the price down.  I think I'm too old to relive my college days & too young to pre-visit my nursing home days.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, TGfromTX said:

I don't think I can afford their trips unless they run sales I don't see posted right now. I'm assuming the solo sailors means rooming with a stranger to make up the price down.  I think I'm too old to relive my college days & too young to pre-visit my nursing home days.

No, I was referring to hosted solo meet ups, cocktail parties, etc (akin to what NCL does for solos). They do have a limited number of solo cabins as well so I don’t believe those have a supplement (I could be wrong though, I’ve always been in a standard balcony cabin). Yes, their fares can look high on paper, but they include things like daily service charges, basic beverages like sodas, wifi, and their included food options are much more like what you get in specialty restaurants on other lines.  Are they for everyone?  No, of course not, but when looking at pricing remember what YOUR priorities are and compares apples to apples.

17 minutes ago, chefchick said:

They do have a limited number of solo cabins as well so I don’t believe those have a supplement

They don't have a supplement but they are also not a bargain. On E class ships they are located on deck 6 most of them are obstructed.  The cabins are smaller in comparison to insides at 142 square feet without a sofa and chest of drawers. I feel you are basically paying for the fact you have an IV.