Solo pricing back to normal?

2 hours ago, drakes2 said:

They don't have a supplement but they are also not a bargain. On E class ships they are located on deck 6 most of them are obstructed.  The cabins are smaller in comparison to insides at 142 square feet without a sofa and chest of drawers. I feel you are basically paying for the fact you have an IV.  

For a port intensive cruise, I could easily do the solo or regular IV cabin.  On a cruise with multiple sea days I could never do it.  I spend a lot of time in my room on sea days, it’s my best enjoyment and a cabin like this, I would go stir crazy.

3 hours ago, drakes2 said:

They don't have a supplement but they are also not a bargain. On E class ships they are located on deck 6 most of them are obstructed.  The cabins are smaller in comparison to insides at 142 square feet without a sofa and chest of drawers. I feel you are basically paying for the fact you have an IV.  

In this post above I was referring to Virgin Voyages solo cabins.  In regards to Celebrity solo IVs, I for one am looking forward to trying them out in August on the Edge.  The infinite verandas seem quite polarizing but I like trying something new and IMO a balcony (regular or otherwise) is the only way to go in Alaska.  I am disappointed in the lack of drawer space (which I’ve heard they have rectified on the newer E class solo IVs) but I’ll make due.😉

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, chefchick said:

In this post above I was referring to Virgin Voyages solo cabins.  In regards to Celebrity solo IVs, I for one am looking forward to trying them out in August on the Edge.  The infinite verandas seem quite polarizing but I like trying something new and IMO a balcony (regular or otherwise) is the only way to go in Alaska.  I am disappointed in the lack of drawer space (which I’ve heard they have rectified on the newer E class solo IVs) but I’ll make due.😉

It's the lack of drawer space that would bother me; I don't care about the sofa as I just use it to throw stuff on. I'm doing an inside on a 15 night TA which has ample space followed by an 11 night Med so didn't want to downgrade to a smaller cabin.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, chefchick said:

I’ve been in solo IVs on Edge, Apex, Beyond and Ascent and enjoy them very much and would happily book them again if available and affordable . I’ve mentioned this tip before on previous posts so I apologize if you have read it before.  I pack a few inexpensive packing cubes.  I put all folding clothes in those which keeps the room very neat. Suitcase fits easily under the bed.  The room seems light, airy and spacious due to the IV.  I’ve never had an obstructed cabin.  Full view straight out with the lifeboats below.  Sure, there are obstructed cabins as there are in any class  you just have to know that up front.  Location is great, mid ship on deck 6.  Enjoy your cruise!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ILgirl said:

I’ve been in solo IVs on Edge, Apex, Beyond and Ascent and enjoy them very much and would happily book them again if available and affordable . I’ve mentioned this tip before on previous posts so I apologize if you have read it before.  I pack a few inexpensive packing cubes.  I put all folding clothes in those which keeps the room very neat. Suitcase fits easily under the bed.  The room seems light, airy and spacious due to the IV.  I’ve never had an obstructed cabin.  Full view straight out with the lifeboats below.  Sure, there are obstructed cabins as there are in any class  you just have to know that up front.  Location is great, mid ship on deck 6.  Enjoy your cruise!!

Packing cubes are a great tip..,thank you.

1 hour ago, citruscruiser said:

Can you please share which single with no obstruction 🤞I am currently looking thru the mechanism on top of the life boats on Apex

I haven't done Apex yet but I'm on in two weeks. On Beyond I did 6136 and I was happy with that as it was just the boat below. I'll see if I can find pictures, if not I have the same room booked on Apex

EDIT: you can see the lifeboat in the back of the picture - if no one has one from Apex I'll take more pictures when I'm on in two weeks

298400077_10159912594552464_9221135941849133348_n.jpg

Edited by Lena11033

2 hours ago, BytownMatt said:

This looks like a pretty comprehensive guide for the Apex obstructed views. I've stayed in two of the single staterooms on the Beyond but not the Apex.

download

I hope this is accurate for what Beyond views are.  I found these on internet before selecting my cabin & I used them to select my cabin...  I couldn't find any posting of anyone that stayed in my cabin on Beyond in past.

10 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

I haven't done Apex yet but I'm on in two weeks. On Beyond I did 6136 and I was happy with that as it was just the boat below. I'll see if I can find pictures, if not I have the same room booked on Apex

EDIT: you can see the lifeboat in the back of the picture - if no one has one from Apex I'll take more pictures when I'm on in two weeks

298400077_10159912594552464_9221135941849133348_n.jpg

I'm so torn about getting the IV for my Mediterranean cruise next year I have an inside and although an upgrade would cost a fair bit more I read when you're sitting outside all you see is a tinted window as they are quite high. Anyone have any issues with them. Worth the $1450 to upgrade? Cruise is 11 nights. 

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

I'm so torn about getting the IV for my Mediterranean cruise next year I have an inside and although an upgrade would cost a fair bit more I read when you're sitting outside all you see is a tinted window as they are quite high. Anyone have any issues with them. Worth the $1450 to upgrade? Cruise is 11 nights. 

$1450 is steep, also I found with med cruises I was out and about a lot around the ship or off on excursions so maybe not worth upgrading for that price (I'm presuming CA$)

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

$1450 is steep, also I found with med cruises I was out and about a lot around the ship or off on excursions so maybe not worth upgrading for that price (I'm presuming CA$)

Yes its CAD. A lot for one person and its following a 15 night TA. 

1 minute ago, drakes2 said:

Yes its CAD. A lot for one person and its following a 15 night TA. 

Yeah I would use the money for other things.

I was talking about this with my husband recently, if I was going to spend a lot of time on the ship (like a transatlantic) I probably would spend more for the room. But if you are off all day on excursions, come back and its like an hour or two then dinner, then evening activities its like really the room is only being used for sleep and shower.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, citruscruiser said:

Can you please share which single with no obstruction 🤞I am currently looking thru the mechanism on top of the life boats on Apex

I think that the obstructed solo IV cabins may vary by ship since they have added a few more solo IVs with each new build.  There are also varying degrees of obstruction from 10 to 50 percent.  It seems to me that the Celebrity reservationist and/or a TA should be able to provide that info.  Good luck!

• Like 1

On 6/28/2024 at 4:57 PM, drakes2 said:

..I read when you're sitting outside all you see is a tinted window as they are quite high. 

I vote keep the original room - but I'd consider what views might be out the window at sea.

The windows from my ocean view cabins on NCL have been impossible or hard to sit in front of due to the furniture placement - so I rarely looked out the window for more than 5 minutes at a time.  One window was sunk into the wall a foot or so, and we were limited seeing to the side or downward.  Crawling into the window shelf a bit increased the view a bit, but not by lots.  An ocean view cabin has never caused me to stay in my cabin a single minute longer than an inside cabin.  I believe the IV will - and part of that is because it's a seating area with a view that I can control the temperature of. 

Personally, there are only a few reasons I'd pay $100+ per night for any balcony.  It'd have to include other perks like spa or better dining.  The only other reason would be a cruise where there were lots to see while at sea - like a trip during whale season in Alaska (I have yet to see a single whale in the ocean) or I knew I'd see many coast lines out the window.  I wouldn't pay extra to see more ocean, port, dolphins, or flying fish. 

For a TA, I'm considering getting the cheapest cabin available & splurging on things to do on the outside my room - the spa and dining upgrades and similar.

I looked at many photos of balconies when planning my Beyond cruise and I believe the height & view of a standard balcony & an IV are very similar.  See the photos - both railings come up to women very similarly.  Camera placement distorts reality - high & low angles especially.  Anything that looks low enough where your center of gravity is above the railing is a distorted photo - drunk people would be falling off ships much more often if that were the case.  If someone posts how high the railing is, I immediately distrust their reasoning skills or if they have actually stayed in an IV cabin.  I'm pretty confident the glass is tinted darker in IVs versus a traditional balcony glass.  But it may help me see better in bight sunlight - like wearing sunshades; but my eyes will tear up in bright summer sunlight.

The only item I expect to have issue with an IV cabin is the chairs without upper back support.  I think my back may start hurting after about 30 minutes if I'm not moving around. I think I'll still enjoy the view whether I have window open or closed.

Of the IV photos and videos I've seen, there always seems to be an overhang to the window.  I don't think 'sunning' is going to be possible in one - but I prefer to sit in the shade unless it's chilly.

image_2024-06-29_172642037.png

standardBalc.jpg

22 hours ago, ILgirl said:

I think that the obstructed solo IV cabins may vary by ship since they have added a few more solo IVs with each new build.  There are also varying degrees of obstruction from 10 to 50 percent.  It seems to me that the Celebrity reservationist and/or a TA should be able to provide that info.  Good luck!

Oh that isn't good news for me.  My room states 50% 😞   I looked at the same room on the Apex photos (I couldn't find Beyond photos) & I see no 'mechanisms' on the lifeboats.    I just thought the 50% was the top of the lifeboat blocking my view straight down. 

On 6/28/2024 at 7:20 PM, Lena11033 said:

Yeah I would use the money for other things.

I was talking about this with my husband recently, if I was going to spend a lot of time on the ship (like a transatlantic) I probably would spend more for the room. But if you are off all day on excursions, come back and its like an hour or two then dinner, then evening activities its like really the room is only being used for sleep and shower.

I'm on a 15 night TA next April in a regular inside wasn't really interested in a verandah for that cruise as not sure if seas will be rocking or not this years TA was smooth but not always the case. I spend most of my sea days in or reading at the pool so an IV would be a waste of money, however, the 11 Med cruise immediately after it was considering it due to all the scenery I could view from the verandah but certainly not at current pricing. Its fairly port intensive so would be out a lot. If it drops in price then I'd definitely book.  I got the TA at an excellent price so I can afford the upcharge for the next sailing but I'm not one to waste money. 

Some people thought my suspicion that the crazy solo pricing was a computer error and rather, suggested a "dynamic pricing" situation. I still believe someone mentioned the pricing error to the IT team and they fixed it since all the crazy pricing went away on all sailings