Ruby Princess: Ice cream (soft & hard), Frappes, Milkshakes

Hi,

Please advise the following:

1)  Coffee & Cones: 

a)  Is the included (aka free) soft serve ice cream flavours just vanilla & chocolate? 

Self serve or served by a crew member?

For sanitary reasons, hoping it's served by a crew member.  

Note:  Not interested in the paid ice cream sandwiches.  Tks!

b)  We have Plus Cruise Package.  Is my understanding correct?  The Frappes & Milkshakes at Coffee & Cones are included with our Plus Cruise Package?  Is there any issue with asking for the Milkshake to be made without the espresso? 

If issues, I may need to go with my son when he orders and see if if there's a work around (eg. ask for the espresso on the side?).

Reason I ask:  I read that, depending on the crew member, people either had success or failure at downsizing (aka removing items) from the "specialty" dessert that came with Plus Packages.  Doesn't make sense to me because of the waste and the extra cost to the cruise line. 

2)  Buffet Area:  

a)  I watched a Youtube video and someone advised that on the Crown Princess, in the afternoons, guests had access to hand scooped (hard) ice cream in the buffet area.  Is this also true on the Ruby Princess?

b)  What flavours were available?  Hoping for strawberry ice cream!

We love our Frappes, Milkshakes & Ice Cream!  I hope we don't overindulge and manage to save room for dinner.  I believe it's easier said than done ... looks like there's temptations everywhere.  Thanks for your help!

1a) Coffee & Cones on the Lido deck is the only location for soft ice cream. It is chocolate, vanilla & twist in cones or cups. The attendant serves you.

1b) I do not remember seeing any milkshakes or frappes at Coffee & Cone or anywhere on board. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see these in the terms and conditions. I think you can get these specialty lattes at Coffee & Cones and at the International Cafe. Ask when you are there. Specialty ice cream desserts are available at Coffee & Cones. You can ask for the candy to be left off or just remove it yourself. Specialty cake desserts are available at the International Cafe. They have a display cake. You ask and a slice is delivered from the kitchen.

2a &b) I did not see this in March. You can look around 3pm when they put out the afternoon snacks. How old was the video? I remember this years ago. Ice cream is available in the MDR as dessert. They usually have chocolate, vanilla, flavor of the day and a sherbet. Order 1,2,3 scoops. Want chocolate syrup topping, ask for it. Youth used to be able to order special large sundaes form the children's menu. Look for them. I don't know if they are still available.

I sincerely doubt you will find milkshakes anywhere. As for ice cream at dinner, my wife has been disappointed since the restart. She used to get a choice of multiple flavors of ice cream every night. Now she's luck if she can get Vanilla. (If she can get it she will order a shot of Amaretto to pour over it. Kahlua also works well. 😉) She has had better luck getting ice cream and sorbet at lunch in MDR. It seems to be offered every day. No idea why it's offered there and not at dinner unless it's because fewer people eat lunch in MDR.

• Like 1

Only can speak for the Grand Princess and Caribbean Princess.

I was able to get a milkshake at Coffee and Cones with the Plus Package on the Grand.  (Chocolate syrup, vanilla ice cream, blended).

I was able to get chocolate ice cream in the Buffet in the late afternoon.  They had a large stainless steel bowl over ice.  

My table mate was able to get vanilla ice cream at dinner time.  I've gotten it with my "volcano".  She got it with walnuts (since walnut ice cream was not on the menu).

A variety of different ice creams were offered at lunch in the MDR.  Unfortunately, the daily options changed.  Not sure what is available now with the new lunch menu.  

9 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Only can speak for the Grand Princess and Caribbean Princess.

I was able to get a milkshake at Coffee and Cones with the Plus Package on the Grand.  (Chocolate syrup, vanilla ice cream, blended).

I was able to get chocolate ice cream in the Buffet in the late afternoon.  They had a large stainless steel bowl over ice.  

My table mate was able to get vanilla ice cream at dinner time.  I've gotten it with my "volcano".  She got it with walnuts (since walnut ice cream was not on the menu).

A variety of different ice creams were offered at lunch in the MDR.  Unfortunately, the daily options changed.  Not sure what is available now with the new lunch menu.  

Sapphire had an ice cream sundae spread a couple times at the buffet too, we did not partake. 

The ice cream at lunchtime in the MDR remains the same, a variety at each meal. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CruiseMom88 said:

Hi,

Please advise the following:

1)  Coffee & Cones: 

a)  Is the included (aka free) soft serve ice cream flavours just vanilla & chocolate? 

Self serve or served by a crew member?

For sanitary reasons, hoping it's served by a crew member.  

Note:  Not interested in the paid ice cream sandwiches.  Tks!

b)  We have Plus Cruise Package.  Is my understanding correct?  The Frappes & Milkshakes at Coffee & Cones are included with our Plus Cruise Package?  Is there any issue with asking for the Milkshake to be made without the espresso? 

If issues, I may need to go with my son when he orders and see if if there's a work around (eg. ask for the espresso on the side?).

Reason I ask:  I read that, depending on the crew member, people either had success or failure at downsizing (aka removing items) from the "specialty" dessert that came with Plus Packages.  Doesn't make sense to me because of the waste and the extra cost to the cruise line. 

2)  Buffet Area:  

a)  I watched a Youtube video and someone advised that on the Crown Princess, in the afternoons, guests had access to hand scooped (hard) ice cream in the buffet area.  Is this also true on the Ruby Princess?

b)  What flavours were available?  Hoping for strawberry ice cream!

We love our Frappes, Milkshakes & Ice Cream!  I hope we don't overindulge and manage to save room for dinner.  I believe it's easier said than done ... looks like there's temptations everywhere.  Thanks for your help!

With Plus, you can get a creme frappe at International Cafe (similar to Starbucks).  You can get any flavour of syrup they have. YMMV per voyage, per ship.

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, skynight said:

1a) Coffee & Cones on the Lido deck is the only location for soft ice cream. It is chocolate, vanilla & twist in cones or cups. The attendant serves you.

1b) I do not remember seeing any milkshakes or frappes at Coffee & Cone or anywhere on board. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see these in the terms and conditions. I think you can get these specialty lattes at Coffee & Cones and at the International Cafe. Ask when you are there. Specialty ice cream desserts are available at Coffee & Cones. You can ask for the candy to be left off or just remove it yourself. Specialty cake desserts are available at the International Cafe. They have a display cake. You ask and a slice is delivered from the kitchen.

2a &b) I did not see this in March. You can look around 3pm when they put out the afternoon snacks. How old was the video? I remember this years ago. Ice cream is available in the MDR as dessert. They usually have chocolate, vanilla, flavor of the day and a sherbet. Order 1,2,3 scoops. Want chocolate syrup topping, ask for it. Youth used to be able to order special large sundaes form the children's menu. Look for them. I don't know if they are still available.

Thanks for your info! 

1)  Great to hear that an attendant serves you. 

I found this Coffee & Cones menu online.  Here's the link.  

https://www.princess.com/content/dam/princess/onboard-experience/food-dining/pdfs/menu-coffee-and-cones.pdf.coredownload.inline.pdf

I guess I was too eager to read the actual menu.  Didn't look closely on the 1st page ... in super large letters it mentions chocolate, vanilla or combo flavours.  😆

2)  The video was posted about 5 months ago and it was from their trip last summer.

3)  Here's a link re: terms for Plus Cruise Package. 

See:  Beverages drop down menu.

https://www.princess.com/en-us/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages

Things change frequently and I worry that sometimes the website may not show the most current information.  This is why I appreciate everyone's input as I trust everyone's real life experiences more than what's displayed online.  Thanks for the info!

48 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I sincerely doubt you will find milkshakes anywhere. As for ice cream at dinner, my wife has been disappointed since the restart. She used to get a choice of multiple flavors of ice cream every night. Now she's luck if she can get Vanilla. (If she can get it she will order a shot of Amaretto to pour over it. Kahlua also works well. 😉) She has had better luck getting ice cream and sorbet at lunch in MDR. It seems to be offered every day. No idea why it's offered there and not at dinner unless it's because fewer people eat lunch in MDR.

Great idea for an "adult" version of ice cream!  I love sorbet more than ice cream.  I'm going to have to check out MDR at lunch ... even if it's just to pop over for dessert only.  Thanks for sharing!

31 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Only can speak for the Grand Princess and Caribbean Princess.  Crossing fingers it's available too on our ship. 

I was able to get a milkshake at Coffee and Cones with the Plus Package on the Grand.  (Chocolate syrup, vanilla ice cream, blended).  Yay!  Will look for this!

I was able to get chocolate ice cream in the Buffet in the late afternoon.  They had a large stainless steel bowl over ice.  Yay!  Will look for this!

Thanks!!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

Sapphire had an ice cream sundae spread a couple times at the buffet too, we did not partake. 

The ice cream at lunchtime in the MDR remains the same, a variety at each meal. 

👌👍

23 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

With Plus, you can get a creme frappe at International Cafe (similar to Starbucks).  You can get any flavour of syrup they have. YMMV per voyage, per ship.  Fantastic!  Will definitely look for this.

Thanks!!