Benefits to booking on board?

Toad

I understand that if you book another cruise while on board, there is a reduced deposit.  Other than that are there other benefits to doing this? I really appreciate my PCC and would want to work with him once booked,  could I still do that?

Just realize that you are depriving the PCC of a commission if you don't book with the PCC.  I booked online and then asked the PCC a question.  He was very nice and helpful, but he asked that in the future I reserve online and then contact him to do the booking since he gets a commission.  I didn't know that and felt bad.  If I ever book another HAL cruise I will go through my PCC.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, hummingbird_206 said:

Just realize that you are depriving the PCC of a commission if you don't book with the PCC.  I booked online and then asked the PCC a question.  He was very nice and helpful, but he asked that in the future I reserve online and then contact him to do the booking since he gets a commission.  I didn't know that and felt bad.  If I ever book another HAL cruise I will go through my PCC.

Did he offer in return to give you the extra OBC and the low priced refundable deposit?  My TA gets her commission when I reserve onboard 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Did he offer in return to give you the extra OBC and the low priced refundable deposit?  My TA gets her commission when I reserve onboard 

He said he would check my reservation and make sure I was getting the lowest price and all of the available benefits.

Don't know if you have to be a certain level mariar level but afterward you will get email with this offer 

Book by 3 months after cruise, and receive Shipboard Credit (U.S. dollars) according to the table below:

LENGTH OF ITINERARY INTERIOR
STATEROOM
OCEAN-VIEW
STATEROOM
VERANDAH
STATEROOM
SUITE
3 – 10 days $25 $25 $50 $50
11 – 21 days $50 $50 $75 $100
22 – 50 days $100 $100 $150 $150
51+ days $150 $150 $200 $200

To take advantage of this Mariner benefit, call your Travel Professional or Holland America Line at 1-866-920-2332 (mention Promo code VPM & VPN).

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Toad said:

Still wondering if there are any other advantages to booking on board….

As I stated the low cost refundable deposits and the extra OBC.   Also many cruise consultants onboard are far more knowledgeable about the ships than a TA as many have sailed the ships for years.  The deposits are $100 to $300 per person as opposed to thousands required for a standard booking. 

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sunset Viewers said:

Another benefit of booking onboard is that I understand that HAL will automatically reduce your cruise fare if lower fares are offered before final payment.

That may be, if you leave the booking with HAL (although I doubt that is what the low price protection actually means; interested to hear from someone who has had this happen without having to solicit it themselves) but HAL do not do this if you move the booking to your TA.  That is, per my experience. You or your TA will need to track and seek price reductions independently after your on-board booking has been moved to your TA. This has been my experience. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sunset Viewers said:

Another benefit of booking onboard is that I understand that HAL will automatically reduce your cruise fare if lower fares are offered before final payment.

They will not do so automatically however since you have a refundable deposit you can take advantage of any sale fare that may arise.  Be aware when you re-fare you might lose perks 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

They will not do so automatically however since you have a refundable deposit you can take advantage of any sale fare that may arise.  Be aware when you re-fare you might lose perks 

I’ve had Seattle say when I wanted to do this that I would lose the Welcome Back OBC offered after returning from a voyage if you book another in the next 3 months. Cheapness personified. Especially since this re-booking (soon) incentive seems much more beneficial to the revenue profile than “free” money over and over to AARP members. IMHO. 

Edited by SeaMatesNYC
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Toad said:

Still wondering if there are any other advantages to booking on board….

I chase the lowest price and when onboard I often come armed with a few cruise prices from the large internet TA we use to see if I can get a better price booking onboard....It has never happened.

We do load up on the FCD's...they are a no brainer for us in that they reduce our deposit risk to $100 and they come with free money (OBC)....and in the "hope it never happens" file, the FCD is refunded if not used in 4 years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

But you wouldn’t lose the Book Now or Book Later OBC if you simply refared the booking. Just any sale perks that were applicable when the cruise was booked. Correct? 

Of course, if you cancelled and rebooked the cruise, you would lose it all. 

4 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

But you wouldn’t lose the Book Now or Book Later OBC if you simply refared the booking. Just any sale perks that were applicable when the cruise was booked. Correct? 

Of course, if you cancelled and rebooked the cruise, you would lose it all. 

Every time you re-fare you risk losing any and all perks.  My TA delivers a bullet point side by side comparison and if I can dream up a convincing argument for her to deliver to HAL she does so.  We are a good team and generally get most of what we want.

Truth is she is so good that if she saves me money in one spot I usually find something to add to my travels to reward her with another commission 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

Every time you re-fare you risk losing any and all perks.  My TA delivers a bullet point side by side comparison and if I can dream up a convincing argument for her to deliver to HAL she does so.  We are a good team and generally get most of what we want.

Truth is she is so good that if she saves me money in one spot I usually find something to add to my travels to reward her with another commission 

Good to know. If we ever choose to book a cruise with the Book Now or Book Later options, we will definitely ask if we will lose that specific onboard booking perk as well as any Sale perks that were applied at the time of booking. 

As we cruise with different lines, it’s always good to learn each line’s rules of engagement, as they definitely differ from each other. 

5 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

I chase the lowest price and when onboard I often come armed with a few cruise prices from the large internet TA we use to see if I can get a better price booking onboard....It has never happened.

When you book onboard, you have the option to send the booking to your current travel agency, choose another, or leave it (for now) with HAL. We choose to leave it with HAL and then, take the booking info to our favorite, large internet TA and say, what’s your discount to get this booking?  They’ll then usually say we can do X off (should be what they are showing online) and then complete the booking transfer form and they should now confirm to you the better price, and you keep your onboard booking OBC. This is what works for us. YMMV. Good luck. 

• Like 2

Sometimes while onboard HAL will release cruises to passengers before opening up to public. You get a low deposit or "place holder" to be able to select a cabin plus OBC and other "early" promotions. You can then transfer to your PCC/TA (within time limits) without losing anything. 

FCDs onboard are great but there are restrictions on which cruise they can be used for so check the fine print.