Embarkation Time

cruiserj12

Hi All,

We are about to board Silver Dawn next weekend and we were wondering if the 2 pm embarkation time is accurate. We believe we recall the last time we were on SilverSea, or Seabourn, there was a 2 pm embarkation that we adhered to. However, after we boarded we learned that people had been on the ship for hours. Is the 2 pm embarkation the actual time or can you board earlier? Thanks in advance for any knowledge you can share!

1 hour ago, cruiserj12 said:

Hi All,

We are about to board Silver Dawn next weekend and we were wondering if the 2 pm embarkation time is accurate. We believe we recall the last time we were on SilverSea, or Seabourn, there was a 2 pm embarkation that we adhered to. However, after we boarded we learned that people had been on the ship for hours. Is the 2 pm embarkation the actual time or can you board earlier? Thanks in advance for any knowledge you can share!

I boarded the Silver Dawn June 15. I left my hotel (booked on my own) at noon, and boarded before 1 I think. The bus from the SilverSea hotel was there before me. 

Hi All,

HQ put that time in there at the re-start after COVID and for some reason they just left it that way. I have been on multiple cruises since 2021 and most of them had an earlier boarding time than 2.

Sometimes noon, sometimes 1:00.....I can't recall all of them but before 2 would be normal now.

Are you traveling independently or staying at a hotel with SS? If the latter, they will take you to the ship. If you are going on your own? My best suggestion is to go around 1:00......then you probably will be able to board and if not, the wait would not be more than an hour. But as for "real time"? Like I said, HQ published that 2:00pm time back in 2021. 

You could call I guess. I have never called them on the day of sailing. 

When we boarded the Muse in Bali recently we turned up a few minutes before noon. About a dozen others were there. We were told checkin opens at noon and right on the dot of noon we were all processed. On board very soon after

12 minutes ago, drron29 said:

When we boarded the Muse in Bali recently we turned up a few minutes before noon. About a dozen others were there. We were told checkin opens at noon and right on the dot of noon we were all processed. On board very soon after

Thanks! Did your booking docs say 2 pm? I just called and they said 2 pm. I feel like there is a disconnect.

Thanks! Did your booking docs say 2 pm? I just called and they said 2 pm. I feel like there is a disconnect.

Yes they did. We always book our own hotels and flights and usually turn up at 1pm and have always been able to check in. It was deliberate on our part this last time to see how early we could check in.

They always say 2pm but it is mostly not true.

Last time I boarded at Copenhagen I'm not sure but I think I was at Langeline about 1pm and boarding was well underway.

If you are making your own way to the pier, make sure you go to the correct one, there are three and they are spread well apart.

I have checked and the Dawn is due to dock at Langeline (C197) which was, last year anyway, sort of under construction so it all happens in a tent but it works OK.

Turn up when it's convenient for you any time after noon and you should be fine - maybe a short wait but probably not.

The only caveat is that if it's raining there isn't any cover while waiting so maybe then turn up a bit later.

Edited by jollyjones

A few years ago in Miami we took an uber from the hotel to Fort Lauderdale but the Wind was at a different berth from normal (the Fleet was in) and took us some while to find. It was still only about 12.15 but we assumed boarding had started. 

As we entered the hangar-like terminal a woman with a clip board came along and shouted (nicely), "Silver Wind passengers this way, please." 

We followed her and were taken directly to the check-in area. Unbeknownst to us there were maybe 20 people seated in the terminal waiting to board. 

So through no fault of our own but with perfect serendipity we were first aboard. There was, to be fair, a good deal of muttering as the others joined the check-on line. Ah well. 

• Like 1

I have the MarineTraffic app and the first thing I do on embarkation morning is to look to see where my ship is actually docked. 

I find the app is very useful during the cruise too, often in ports there are several possible piers, it’s helpful to see which one we’re actually at and how far from town or wherever we are. 

3 hours ago, jollyjones said:

I have the MarineTraffic app and the first thing I do on embarkation morning is to look to see where my ship is actually docked. 

I find the app is very useful during the cruise too, often in ports there are several possible piers, it’s helpful to see which one we’re actually at and how far from town or wherever we are. 

This is a brilliant idea! Thanks for passing this along.