American Airlines no longer an option to book through Flight Ease

9 hours ago, POA1 said:

Just booked and flew American for a trip last week, with a return yesterday. No miles on 3rd party sites. We wound up booking through AA.com, which will allow you to book a 40 minute connection in Charlotte. (I would allow an hour for a connection unless you are seated in row 12 or lower.)

All four legs of our flights were oversold.

I totally agree but I have also found that Charlotte also tends to have delays on departures more than arrivals. I am flying in February MIA to CLT to LAS, with a 50 minute connection luckily we are row 2 for both flights and since it is a return from a Trans Atlantic coming home I am not overly concerned about luggage as I would be going. Going is BA non stop to LHR 3 days before cruise.

22 hours ago, mwj said:

The problem as I see it is that AA has become a second tier airline. Even though AA has the most flights from our closest airport, we have been avoiding them unless there are no other good options. FE customers may have experiences numerous problems with missed connections that led them to this decision. The points issue being the straw that broke the camel's back.

Worth remembering that AA is not the same airline it was 20+ years ago. In 2007 (if I remember correctly), a not-very-well-regarded airline called America West - I heard it referred to as "America's Worst" more than once - merged with USAir. The management team after the merger consisted almost entirely of former America West executives, who promptly proceeded to diminish the reputation of USAir. About five years later, the now-named US Airways took over the venerable American Airlines, keeping the same management team that had come over from America West. Because US Airways now had almost as bad a reputation as America West had and the American Airlines name was long established as an industry leader, they decided to change the name again and became the new American Airlines.

From my perspective, what today is flying as AA has little to no resemblance to the old American Airlines. They are America West.

I lived in Charlotte (major hub for AA) for 25+ years and flew USAir/US Airways/AA only when there was no other option. Delta and United maintained a good enough schedule to get me wherever...with connections.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

Worth remembering that AA is not the same airline it was 20+ years ago. In 2007 (if I remember correctly), a not-very-well-regarded airline called America West - I heard it referred to as "America's Worst" more than once - merged with USAir. The management team after the merger consisted almost entirely of former America West executives, who promptly proceeded to diminish the reputation of USAir. About five years later, the now-named US Airways took over the venerable American Airlines, keeping the same management team that had come over from America West. Because US Airways now had almost as bad a reputation as America West had and the American Airlines name was long established as an industry leader, they decided to change the name again and became the new American Airlines.

From my perspective, what today is flying as AA has little to no resemblance to the old American Airlines. They are America West.

I lived in Charlotte (major hub for AA) for 25+ years and flew USAir/US Airways/AA only when there was no other option. Delta and United maintained a good enough schedule to get me wherever...with connections.

I think you have your history mixed up.  I have been an advantage member longer than that.    https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-service/about-us/history-of-american-airlines.jsp

American is not a second tier airline, it may have lousy customer service but that is just the way it is. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_airlines_in_the_world

https://www.airhelp.com/en-int/airhelp-score/airline-ranking/

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

AA has the worst reputation of the three US legacy carriers by far. United and Delta are basically neck-and-neck, with Delta getting a slight edge but also charging more for it. Alaska is probably the most beloved overall but doesn't have the network outside the west coast to really compete. Jet Blue and Southwest also have their fans.

AA is hanging on by benefit of having the best rewards program in the US, and by its sheer size. There's always an AA flight going to where you're going. And at least they aren't Spirit.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Menocchio said:

AA has the worst reputation of the three US legacy carriers by far. United and Delta are basically neck-and-neck, with Delta getting a slight edge but also charging more for it. Alaska is probably the most beloved overall but doesn't have the network outside the west coast to really compete. Jet Blue and Southwest also have their fans.

AA is hanging on by benefit of having the best rewards program in the US, and by its sheer size. There's always an AA flight going to where you're going. And at least they aren't Spirit.

I am no fan of AA’s customer service (unless you are flying business or higher) and was rather shocked by the stats you will find in the third link I posted above.  That quality rating weighs time, lost luggage and other statistics rather than merely sentiment.  

Edited by Mary229

As a former AA flight attendant I can tell you the whole industry has changed. The first thing I look for when I book a airline is safety and maintenance. Service and popularity are last. I always carry on at least two days clothing and things I simply cannot live without. After all that, usually AA is my first choice. The rest of it is just "fluff"!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Mary229 said:

I think you have your history mixed up.  I have been an advantage member longer than that.    https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-service/about-us/history-of-american-airlines.jsp

American is not a second tier airline, it may have lousy customer service but that is just the way it is. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_airlines_in_the_world

https://www.airhelp.com/en-int/airhelp-score/airline-ranking/

Doug Parker was the CEO of America West Airlines. America West purchased USAir in 2005 and Doug Parker became the CEO of the 'new' USAir. USAir purchased the bankrupt American Airlines in 2013 and Doug Parker became the CEO of the 'new' American Airlines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Parker

• Like 1

Airlines are very much like Cruise lines, everyone will have their favorite, some will find fault to just find fault and others will see no wrong. I have flown AA, UAL Delta and SW Frequently, they all have their faults but having flown AA a bit more I by far prefer them, a couple of months ago I flew non stop 1st Class Delta LAS to JFK, then the return was AA 1st Class. I can tell you the service was friendly and much nicer in our AA seats. The Delta flight was a very early morning flight serving breakfast, I love having the Biscoff cookies with my coffee. The FA actually said she could not get them for me despite that was what was being serviced in Economy. The AA FAs never tell me no, instead they go and get me a hand full of them.

All airlines are getting delays no matter when or where, that is just a given now. They no longer worry about on time performance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, outdoorphoto said:

Doug Parker was the CEO of America West Airlines. America West purchased USAir in 2005 and Doug Parker became the CEO of the 'new' USAir. USAir purchased the bankrupt American Airlines in 2013 and Doug Parker became the CEO of the 'new' American Airlines.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Parker

https://simpleflying.com/american-airlines-us-airways-merger/   American 78% stock ownership and initiated the merger. 

Edited by Mary229

11 hours ago, ExArkie said:

I have to disagree with you on this one. I always flew America West to the West Coast out of ORD where I obviously had the choice of taking UA or AA. America West's downfall was when they took over US Airways and then further when they took over AA.  

• Like 1

On 6/24/2024 at 12:23 PM, Gsel said:

I am booked with Flight Ease in November. I booked at least three months ago. I received a email last month saying if I wanted my AA miles I had to let them go ahead and ticket the flights which I did. Guess this was before the rescinded the rule.  I am now ticketed on flights I really don't want and would cost almost $1000 to change.  I have a 30 minute layover at DFW!

First thing a 30-minute layover is NOT a legal connection with AA in DFW.

Have you called AA to get this changed? We booked our flights for our August Volendam cruise with FE on AA round trip. We went ahead in April and had FE pay for our flights and ticket us. Earlier this month AA changed flights and our return flight to Philly from Quebec City changed leaving us a 60 minute connection which was not possible as we have to clear US customs and change terminals. I called AA and they agreed 60 minutes was not enough time for this connection and they changed our flights at no cost, BTW we are booked in FC. 

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gsel said:

Yes, I know it is not a legal connection. AA is "famous" regarding flight changes, when I find out if I am going to be able to go I will call them or my TA will. I am also in FC.

Once ticketed I have never not been able to call AA and get changes made after flight changes made by AA, didn't matter if I booked direct or with a cruise line as 3rd party.  Since the 30-minute connection is not legal, AA has no choice but to make changes at no cost to you. Last year AA made changes to our Flights to Amsterdam that got us there after our cruise was scheduled to leave, 2 days after our original arrival date.

The AA changes this month were the 4th change since we were ticketed in April, but the latest was the first that gave us unacceptable connections. I also have found that AA customer service has vastly improved when calling them directly over a few years ago. The last time I called I only had to wait for a live CS rep less than 10 minutes. BTW, you may know this, but AA makes the majority of their flight changes on Sunday mornings. First thing I do when I get up on Sundays, is check my flights with AA.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/26/2024 at 9:25 AM, Gsel said:

As a former AA flight attendant I can tell you the whole industry has changed. The first thing I look for when I book a airline is safety and maintenance. Service and popularity are last. I always carry on at least two days clothing and things I simply cannot live without. After all that, usually AA is my first choice. The rest of it is just "fluff"!

Gsel - We were AA first choice customers for years until things seemed to go south.  We have friends who were AA flight attendants, pilots, and DFW and LAX airport managers (not sure if that is the right title).  The entire industry has changed, but if I worked long enough for AA and had flight benefits I would not hesitate.  There are a couple airlines that I will book without hesitation, they are not U.S. based airlines.  Thank you for reminding us to pack our carryon with what we need.  When I fly to Hawaii I always have flip flops, sun screen, bathing suit, and cover up in my carry on.  Thanks again for the good info.  Cherie

3 hours ago, Gsel said:

Also watch for equipment changes, they can really mess with seats you thought you had.

Yes I know all about that too well. That was why our flight to Amsterdam got changed last year, the aircraft change had 20 fewer BC seats so we got moved to the next available flight with open BC seats 2 days later and a day after our cruise was to leave. This change was made the week before we were supposed to leave. When I called AA they moved us to flights on British Airways that left the same original day and got us to Amsterdam the day before our cruise, as we planned. They did us a huge favor even with the extra stop in London from DFW. The BA flight and service was so much better going over than the flight home on American.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

Delta and JetBlue are  just as bad about switching flights from nonstop to one stop, and those with tight connections to boot. Service is lost on most airlines. The worst thing about AA is that they have no entertainment. You must provide your own tablet and download your ownmovies. Give me JetBlue entertainment any day!!

On 6/25/2024 at 10:14 AM, mwj said:

The problem as I see it is that AA has become a second tier airline. Even though AA has the most flights from our closest airport, we have been avoiding them unless there are no other good options. FE customers may have experiences numerous problems with missed connections that led them to this decision. The points issue being the straw that broke the camel's back.

What do you mean by second tier?  They are the second largest airline in the world.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest_airlines_in_the_world

those who keep using second tier need to define what they mean.   If they are second tier what is first tier based either on reliable data or multiple personal experiences

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, sambamama said:

Delta and JetBlue are  just as bad about switching flights from nonstop to one stop, and those with tight connections to boot. Service is lost on most airlines. The worst thing about AA is that they have no entertainment. You must provide your own tablet and download your ownmovies. Give me JetBlue entertainment any day!!

Oddly I prefer bringing my own device for movies, but AA does have quite a few very good movies available on their inflight website.In the last several months I have had several 5 hours plus flights between East Coast and West Coast.  Of the 6 long flights one was Delta and 5 AA. The selection provided on AA I thought was slightly better, as well as I liked having my own much better head set to listen to as opposed to what Delta offered.

https://entertainment.aa.com/en

I understand what you are saying. After a flight from LAX to Sydney in economy (change in equipment got us bumped from premium) I was almost unable to walk. I am not a large person either but am 5'9 with very long legs. Now if I can't fly premium economy or first I don't go! By the way, I stopped flying before the time I could get retirement because I married. Not allowed then!

35 minutes ago, Gsel said:

I understand what you are saying. After a flight from LAX to Sydney in economy (change in equipment got us bumped from premium) I was almost unable to walk. I am not a large person either but am 5'9 with very long legs. Now if I can't fly premium economy or first I don't go! By the way, I stopped flying before the time I could get retirement because I married. Not allowed then!

Their domestic premium is not worth flying, ditto Delta’s first level premium. I am trying Delta’s next level premium next month hoping for a better experience.  Totally different topic but seat sizes need to be reviewed once again by the FAA, they are getting closer but worse the seats are getting thinner.