Penalty to cancel a shore excursion onboard?

Does anyone know if there is a penalty if you cancel an excursion while already on board?

There is a thread from January, but it's a bit confusing and I was wondering if anyone has more recent experience with this.

We'll be on a three week cruise.  What if on Day 4 I cancel an excursion for Day 12 (regular bus excursion)?  Will I get a full refund (more than 3 days) or pay a 10% penalty for cancelling onboard?

Thanks 

For the vast majority of excursions you need to cancel a full 48 hours in advance to have no penalty.  Not 46 hours but 48 hours, they can be sticklers.   There are a few special excursions which have more significant penalties but those are usually overland journeys. Each excursion has their terms posted 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Have you contacted HAL?  When booking a ship's excursion you are usually given the number of hours prior to the excursion you can cancel without a penalty.  Is this not indicated on your booked excursion?  I know that on our January cruise you could cancel while on board.  I don't think it matters whether on board or prior to departure, just cancel within the mandatory cancellation time.   I would contact HAL, your TA, or your PCC.  Cherie 

Edited by cccole
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, cccole said:

Have you contacted HAL?  When booking a ship's excursion you are usually given the number of hours prior to the excursion you can cancel without a penalty.  Is this not indicated on your booked excursion?  I know that on our January cruise you could cancel while on board.  I don't think it matters whether on board or prior to departure, just cancel within the mandatory cancellation time.   I would contact HAL, your TA, or your PCC.  Cherie 

The cancellation language on the excursion booking confirm speaks only to “cancellation deadline” for any specific shore excursion. Other than a few unique instances such as private vehicles, Land & Sea “land portion” tour excursions, and Overland Adventures as mentioned by Mary229, the deadlines for regular tours are not mentioned in the tour booking confirm. But it is 48 hours. Check with Shore Excursions as soon as you know you may need to cancel at any rate and you will be told exactly what day/time the cutoff is. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SeaMatesNYC said:

you will be told exactly what day/time the cutoff is. 

In fact, on every recent voyage of ours, Shore Excursions desk posted a notice of the tour cancelation cutoff dates by port right at the desk. 

• Like 1

Thank you SeaMatesNYC, I thought that every HAL excursion I looked at had a deadline for canceling the excursion.   As OP mentions this is just a "regular bus excursion", nothing more. I still think if OP has a question about their specific excursion cancellation date they should contact HAL, their TA, or their PCC

Thanks everyone.  My confirmation just says that we need to cancel by the "cancellation deadline.". Wasn't sure if there was a standard for the line or not, will check in this one with my TA, thanks!

• Like 2

I have 3 shore excursions booked for August.  The cancel policy is exactly the same wording on each one for our Canada cruise.

Online cancellations will not be accepted during the 3-day period prior to cruise departure.  

Instead, you will need to cancel once you board. All on board cancelations are subject to at least a 10% cancelation fee.  A Signature Collection Shore Excursion is nonrefundable 3 days before sailing!  

Here is the official lingo with the side note that I have never had a 10% penalty cancelling a shore excursion onboard in the designated time. The sales and refund window does close 3 days before a cruise on ALL items but reopens when you board 

Cancellations for pre-paid tours are allowed up to 3 days prior to cruise embarkation and will be refunded to the credit card used for the purchase. If within 3 days of embarkation, all changes/cancellations must be done onboard the ship and refunds will be applied to your onboard account. If the credit is not fully utilized during the cruise, the balance will be paid to that passenger by the ship's Purser at the end of the voyage. If cancellation occurs onboard after the cancellation deadline for specific shore excursions, a 100% cancellation fee will apply. The ship's shore excursions office will be able to advise you of the cancellation deadline applicable to each tour. Optional shore excursions during the land portion of a Land & Sea Journey are non-refundable within 3 days of your Land & Sea Journey departure date. Group shore excursions cancelled within three days prior to embarkation (sail) date are nonrefundable. Custom tours may have different cancellation deadlines which will be stated in the proposal. In the rare instance that tours are cancelled by Holland America Line or the tour operator, the full amount will be refunded within four to six weeks after the voyage ends.

• Like 2

{As a side note, a few years ago I bought a tram ticket onboard for Mount Roberts in Juneau, Alaska. The Shore Excursions team told me if the weather was not good I could return it for a refund “day of”. And that’s what happened, as it was far too cloudy the day we were there to have visibility. Just wanted to add this for those who may be going to Alaska. Verify each case, but there are the occasional refundable tickets available here and there.}

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Dancing Shoes said:

All on board cancelations are subject to at least a 10% cancelation fee. 

Very curious. Who issued the confirm with this language?  @Mary229 has pasted the same verbatim language as shown on the multiple HAL emailed excursion confirms we have for a voyage this month. I’m very interested to know who is telling you there’s no less than a 10% penalty for any onboard cancellation, as this diverges from the recent experience of many. 

Edited by SeaMatesNYC
  • Like 2

About a year ago I had to cancel an excursion about 2 hours prior (it was first thing in the morning).  I knew that I would lose the money, but I cancelled anyway so that the tour would not be looking for me.  To my great surprise, they were able to find someone to take my place and I got a full refund the same day!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

About a year ago I had to cancel an excursion about 2 hours prior (it was first thing in the morning).  I knew that I would lose the money, but I cancelled anyway so that the tour would not be looking for me.  To my great surprise, they were able to find someone to take my place and I got a full refund the same day!

Likewise I have been told they just so happen to have someone waiting to go and was given a full refund.  This varies ship to ship though 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SeaMatesNYC said:

Very curious. Who issued the confirm with this language?  @Mary229 has pasted the same verbatim language as shown on the multiple HAL emailed excursion confirms we have for a voyage this month. I’m very interested to know who is telling you there’s no less than a 10% penalty for any onboard cancellation, as this diverges from the recent experience of many. 

When I printed out my email excursion confirmation that information was stated below the details.  I did these online myself.  I think HAL has different invoices/confirmations that they email maybe.  Never know with them!???!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, redyellownow said:

I have a related question about using Have it All credit for shore excursions. Is it possible to switch to a different excursion if we have booked it using HIA shore excursion credit? Thanks!

Yes, you can. Before the cruise you can 1.cancel and book the other or 2. Call them and have them do it for you.  This is a safer option in case excursions are selling out quickly. 

otherwise you can do it onboard at the shore excursions desk

• Like 1

On 6/25/2024 at 8:17 AM, SeaMatesNYC said:

The 10% penalty is also in the Navigator App — shown with the cancellation policy for every shore excursion on my upcoming trip. I gather from reading this thread that the 10% on board cancellation penalty does always (ever?) apply. It’s confusing. 

Edited by Ileneilene123