AARP Gift Cards with an usual problem

Cruise Raider

I recently paid off a cruise with credit card as well as AARP gift cards having booked flexible air leaving me an overage paid on my booking.  This was sent to finance and sent back to my gift card and credit card without issue.  
However, I have not been able to check my balances on each gift card number for over a week.  It’s not just for the card in which the refund was returned to, but all of them, even ones that have a $500 balance.  I shut down my iPad and back on but still no luck.  
I did get in touch with AARP and they sent me to Princess and the woman took down several of my gift card numbers as I didn’t know which card the refund went back on to and luckily, it was the first one she checked.  But, I’m still unable to verify my balances now without calling in to the Princess gift card support line.  I keep coming up with the following error:  

Has anyone else had this issue and if so, is there any solution you’ve found?  

image.thumb.png.0176fee18891d043acf7b85d9e756cde.pngimage.thumb.png.0176fee18891d043acf7b85d9e756cde.png

I had that happen last night as well.  I went to the Princess page for checking the balance and it was working.  https://www.princess.com/en-us/ships-and-experience/celebrations/gift-cards

One note, it did stop working after checking 9 cards and I had to close the web page and re-open to get it going again.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, cruisinsince75 said:

Seems the AARP site is as glitchy as Princess.

AARP wouldn't have anything to do with being able to check the balance of a gift card that it sold.  No different than if you bought a Macy's gift card at your local grocery store.  The grocery store would have no way of letting you check the balance once it leaves the store. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

AARP wouldn't have anything to do with being able to check the balance of a gift card that it sold.  No different than if you bought a Macy's gift card at your local grocery store.  The grocery store would have no way of letting you check the balance once it leaves the store. 

I've been using the "Verify Balance" link on the gift card when you first open it from AARP.  It has always worked for me except for last night.

image.png.925fba84b1fdd76e41b5a1defd64b2b9.png

1 hour ago, JAT0303 said:

I've been using the "Verify Balance" link on the gift card when you first open it from AARP.  It has always worked for me except for last night.

image.png.925fba84b1fdd76e41b5a1defd64b2b9.png

Yes, that is where I’m getting my error, as well. 

1 hour ago, JAT0303 said:

I had that happen last night as well.  I went to the Princess page for checking the balance and it was working.  https://www.princess.com/en-us/ships-and-experience/celebrations/gift-cards

One note, it did stop working after checking 9 cards and I had to close the web page and re-open to get it going again.

I’m going to try this method.

uodate!  That worked .. thank you for the link!  

Edited by Cruise Raider
  • Like 1

Are these gift cards backed by visa or mastercard? Working in retail I know that any visa, mastercard or Amex  gift cards aren't reloadable. Meaning anyone who used them to make a purchase would get a store credit. In the past if cashiers made the mistake of refunding to a gift card the credit never went back to the card. 

Edited by Iamcruzin

6 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Are these gift cards backed by visa or mastercard? Working in retail I know that any visa, mastercard or Amex  gift cards aren't reloadable. Meaning anyone who used them to make a purchase would get a store credit. In the past if cashiers made the mistake of refunding to a gift card the credit never went back to the card. 

Princess must have made some arrangement with the credit/debit/gift card company.  You are able to have funds applied back to the card.  BE AWARE....you have to have the card number and pin!  Do not discard paper work or physical cards.

Now, doing so is not as simple as purchasing them.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Princess must have made some arrangement with the credit/debit/gift card company.  You are able to have funds applied back to the card.  BE AWARE....you have to have the card number and pin!  Do not discard paper work or physical cards.

Now, doing so is not as simple as purchasing them.  

Gift cards are a P.I.A. If I receive any I only use them for gas or grocery purchases. Something I know that I won't return. I also don't pay down the full balance for a cruise until final payment just incase of a price drop.

Edited by Iamcruzin

3 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Gift cards are a P.I.A. If I receive any I only use them for gas or grocery purchases. Something I know that I won't return. I also don't pay down the full balance for a cruise until final payment just incase of a price drop.

I agree.  I held on to gift cards for too long.  Many went under during the pandemic.  Never give Princess money early (unless you know something is going up).  

BTW....Princess will apply reimbursement debit cards to your account or cash them out. I've had several $10 settlement cards and took them to customer service desk.  One agent didn't know how to do it (said no).  Person standing next to her showed her how to do it.  

• Like 1

I am happy to report that @JAT0303 gave me a solution to my problem!  
I wasn’t as concerned with them returning the money to my original form of payment as I was not being able to see which card # my refund ended up on.  
I just wanted to see my balances and like I mentioned, that issue was solved, thanks to the fine folks here on CC!  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Nothing to beware of. I threw away all ten gift cards I used a while back and Princess issued me ONE new gift card. 

11 minutes ago, justjan2 said:

How do I apply AARP gift cards to my account? Thanks.

Assuming you are *not* booked via a TA...just go to the payments section in your cruise personalizer and look at the different radio buttons for type of payment. One will be gift card.

• Like 1