Incoming HAL website rant

Bad code

Bad request

Oops, something went wrong

Yes, something always goes wrong on your website.  So then I call, finally get through, and disconnected mid-way through, they have my number, did the guy call back?  Of course not!

Back to the website

Bad Code

Finally gave up

I don't know why I don't just look at other lines on a 7 day.  I don't seem to run into issues on other cruise line websites. 

Thanks for the rant.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Other than going through the check in process, I think I have only booked once or maybe twice (4 star) on the official Holland site.  The majority of my bookings, other than the one or two I remember, are through a reputable on line cruise discount company, and I can honestly say that:  1.  I've never had a booking problem

2.  The online booking cruise discount company has beat HAL all but one time.  Sometimes, the cruise price is so significantly different.

Maybe it's time to chuck booking on HAL and go somewhere else.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, AKJonesy said:

Other than going through the check in process, I think I have only booked once or maybe twice (4 star) on the official Holland site.  The majority of my bookings, other than the one or two I remember, are through a reputable on line cruise discount company, and I can honestly say that:  1.  I've never had a booking problem

2.  The online booking cruise discount company has beat HAL all but one time.  Sometimes, the cruise price is so significantly different.

Maybe it's time to chuck booking on HAL and go somewhere else.  

It's not just a problem for those booking with HAL. It's also a problem doing things like adding shore excursions, laundry, making diner reservations etc...

I never ever book directly with a cruise line, but still have lots to do online interacting with HAL's web page. 

This has been happening for over a year.

It's an embarrassment to HAL and makes me question just how committed CCL is to HAL and the other lines under the umbrella. Apparently Princess and Cunard are equally bad.

FWIW: The actual Carnival web page works seamlessly. Clearly CCL is more devoted to Carnival (their bread maker) than they are the little guys like HAL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

It's not just a problem for those booking with HAL. It's also a problem doing things like adding shore excursions, laundry, making diner reservations etc...

I never ever book directly with a cruise line, but still have lots to do online interacting with HAL's web page. 

This has been happening for over a year.

It's an embarrassment to HAL and makes me question just how committed CCL is to HAL and the other lines under the umbrella. Apparently Princess and Cunard are equally bad.

FWIW: The actual Carnival web page works seamlessly. Clearly CCL is more devoted to Carnival (their bread maker) than they are the little guys like HAL.

You think it has been happening for a year because you are a HAL novice, it has been happening since they invented the internet.  HAL’s IT is and has been awful. I could build a better website in 20 minutes while eating, talking on the phone and watching YouTube 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

38 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

You think it has been happening for a year because you are a HAL novice, it has been happening since they invented the internet.  HAL’s IT is and has been awful. I could build a better website in 20 minutes while eating, talking on the phone and watching YouTube 

I have been sailing on HAL since the mid 90's but I don't think we had internet back then.

I'm a dinosour in the industry, but I am a HAL novice. I'm just not HAL's targeted demographic. Where are the water slides? hahahahah

If this was going on pre-covid I am absolutely shocked (and I have no reason to doubt you).

It's an abomination.

Embarrassment.

COS 😄 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 3

I made a big mistake on my next cruise...... I booked it online.  Originally I called my PCC to book it but it seems he was out on vacation.  Since the online cost looked tempting, I called his number again and got through to another PCC.  Unfortunately, I had a hard time understanding this agent and misunderstood what she said.  Ergo, I decided to book it myself online.  Shortly after he got back from vacation he did get back to me but said I would have to work with the online system for any assistance.  Usually he will guarantee me a cabin but now I have to wait until the system generates a cabin.   I will always use a PCC in the future. 

5 minutes ago, Paulinda said:

I made a big mistake on my next cruise...... I booked it online.  Originally I called my PCC to book it but it seems he was out on vacation.  Since the online cost looked tempting, I called his number again and got through to another PCC.  Unfortunately, I had a hard time understanding this agent and misunderstood what she said.  Ergo, I decided to book it myself online.  Shortly after he got back from vacation he did get back to me but said I would have to work with the online system for any assistance.  Usually he will guarantee me a cabin but now I have to wait until the system generates a cabin.   I will always use a PCC in the future. 

You have a period where you can transfer a booking to a TA.  Or you could cancel and rebook. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

You have a period where you can transfer a booking to a TA.  Or you could cancel and rebook. 

@Paulinda, I would really take Mary's advice to heart. You have 60 days to move your reservation with one simple form. You CAN move it after that, but it requires more documentation.

There is no reason to do this alone. Personally, I would be looking at a TA that rebates commission in the form of OBC but that's just me.

• Like 3

Independent me has always had great luck with the 800 #. Fast, friendly, dependable - until late last year when they offshored. The 800 # is just awful now; the people I’ve dealt with are ignorant of cruising, and I have been flat out lied to.

I have a friend who has always used a live TA and loves her, so that’s where my next 3 bookings lie. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

You really don't hold back!!!  It wouldn't take much to make their website better, so grab your phone, a burger, and crank up YouTube and go for it!

@atexsix, try Incognito or InPrivate. That has helped when I've had problems with HAL's website. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Sadly true 🫣🙄

39 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

For many people, using TAs only solves the booking challenges because, as @Mary229 said, there's other online details to tend to. Even if one doesn't book excursions, dining, spas, etc there's still check-in, luggage tags, etc that require a functional website.

My TA does it all.

1 hour ago, cccole said:

Mine also.  He can make or change excursions,  dining reservations, spa reservations, and anything else.  And he is not "out of the office" after 5 pm and on weekends.  Cherie 

Yep, I get TA can do all that, but what about completing the  check-in details and printing luggage tags? Those things are frequently hard to do due to website issues.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, atexsix said:

Bad code

Bad request

Yes, something always goes wrong on your website.  So then I call, finally get through, and disconnected mid-way through, they have my number, did the guy call back?  Of course not!

Back to the website

Bad Code

Finally gave up

I don't know why I don't just look at other lines on a 7 day.  I don't seem to run into issues on other cruise line websites. 

Thanks for the rant.

It's very frustrating

• Like 2