[Live!] Discovery Princess to Alaska (6/29-7/6/24)

KarmaCruisers

On my first cruise to Alaska in July, I packed all the wrong clothes.  Cold weather gear for land cruise.  Warm weather gear for the ship.  I had to find a place to buy shorts in Talkeetna.  It was so hot, the animals wouldn’t come out to play.

Love you are sharing your suite with your cousin.  Culture shock for sure.  

🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀🍀

Nice that you have company, enjoy and have fun!

Be sure and bring some summer clothing, when we were there in Sept. 2019 and mid June 2022 we definitely needed them, temps in 60's and 70's. Only time we needed to bundle up was by the glaciers.

Yeah, you are back.  Really enjoy reading your posts.

Safe travels and enjoy your cruise.

We are going on the Grand in May 2025 for a 17 day Alaska cruise out of Seattle.  Not going on anything until then so I cruise by reading about your experiences.

Keep you postive attitude and your smile.

• Like 1

I'm on the Discovery Princess now (next week too!) and am pleased to pass on the news that this week, Discovery Princess won the fleet-wide "Medallion Cup" for best ship overall, including "Most Friendly" - so you know you're going to have a quality time on board!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, QuilterGirl said:

I'm on the Discovery Princess now (next week too!) and am pleased to pass on the news that this week, Discovery Princess won the fleet-wide "Medallion Cup" for best ship overall, including "Most Friendly" - so you know you're going to have a quality time on board!

Yup; it’ll be my second time on her (went in February). I enjoyed it (but then again, I enjoy all voyages on the Royal Class)

41 minutes ago, roxievegas said:

Yeah, you are back.  Really enjoy reading your posts.

Safe travels and enjoy your cruise.

We are going on the Grand in May 2025 for a 17 day Alaska cruise out of Seattle.  Not going on anything until then so I cruise by reading about your experiences.

Keep you postive attitude and your smile.

Thanks; I do what I can.

@KarmaCruisers Key to Alaska (and Norway, btw) is LAYERS.

You never know what you will get--freezing & rainy one day, sunny & warm the next.

My AK experiences were Sept--thought it would be warm for you, but the weather looks comparable. If it's sunny, it will be warm.

I found the ship to be warm.

HAVE FUN--cannot wait to follow!

31 minutes ago, KKB said:

@KarmaCruisers Key to Alaska (and Norway, btw) is LAYERS.

You never know what you will get--freezing & rainy one day, sunny & warm the next.

My AK experiences were Sept--thought it would be warm for you, but the weather looks comparable. If it's sunny, it will be warm.

I found the ship to be warm.

HAVE FUN--cannot wait to follow!

It looks like it won’t get above 65 at any point in time; so pants will always be good.

I’m bringing t-shirts, long sleeves, a hoodie and a Sherpa-lined coat.

• Like 3

@KarmaCruisers 2+ hour commute one way? That’s a rough one. You deserve a cruise vacation for that reason only.

I just read somewhere( so it must be true🤣) that Americans don’t take enough vacation days from their job and also feel that they don’t deserve it ,compared to other countries.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

@KarmaCruisers 2+ hour commute one way? That’s a rough one. You deserve a cruise vacation for that reason only.

I just read somewhere( so it must be true🤣) that Americans don’t take enough vacation days from their job and also feel that they don’t deserve it ,compared to other countries.

Yea; welcome to the California Bay Area commute (from the Central Valley)

I do it 3x a week.

we get a lot of vacation time (like 8 weeks PTO plus holidays, thanksgiving week and Christmas week) and believe me I use it all.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, KarmaCruisers said:

It looks like it won’t get above 65 at any point in time; so pants will always be good.

I’m bringing t-shirts, long sleeves, a hoodie and a Sherpa-lined coat.

You won't need that Sherpa if it's sunny & 65😉

But rain? It is COLD when it rains there...keep it close.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KarmaCruisers said:

But it’s like $150 p/p right?

It is.  It was free for suite passengers until last December 1st when they started charging for it.  Anyone with reservations in a full suite prior to that date get it comped, after that it's $149 pp.  We did it free during the trial in October 2022 and could have gone again in April as we were "grandfathered in" to get it comped.  But I knew I couldn't get my DH to go again so didn't even try.  I thought it was a fun experience to do - once.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

It is.  It was free for suite passengers until last December 1st when they started charging for it.  Anyone with reservations in a full suite prior to that date get it comped, after that it's $149 pp.  We did it free during the trial in October 2022 and could have gone again in April as we were "grandfathered in" to get it comped.  But I knew I couldn't get my DH to go again so didn't even try.  I thought it was a fun experience to do - once.

Yeah I didn’t book this until March of this year. (When I got the comp)

I’m cheap, lol.

• Like 2

I’m going on this same ship/itinerary at beginning of August (not a suite tho!). Look forward to hear how your trip goes since this will be my first ever cruise, a treat for myself since recently becoming a widow. Having a hard time figuring out what to pack (I’ve changed my “capsule wardrobe” three times already!!). No matter what happens, I know I’m gonna have a great time!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KennelGoddess said:

I’m going on this same ship/itinerary at beginning of August (not a suite tho!). Look forward to hear how your trip goes since this will be my first ever cruise, a treat for myself since recently becoming a widow. Having a hard time figuring out what to pack (I’ve changed my “capsule wardrobe” three times already!!). No matter what happens, I know I’m gonna have a great time!

Im sorry for your loss.

youve picked a great ship and itinerary for your first!!