"Check In"

Softservekid1

Everyone needs to check-in before their cruise. You will be able to do this 14 days prior to your cruise (16 for priority). It'll ask you your Passport information or if you're using a birth certificate, you set your preferences, enter your billing information for on board expenses, and choose an arrival time that you are to arrive at the port. Once you complete your check-in online, you'll be able to print your boarding passes, which you need at the port.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are really two check-ins, both of which are important.  The on-line check-in is mostly to give passport information and information on how you are going to pay your on-board expenses, and to get an appointment time slot for the physical pier-side check-in.  Some of this (NOT passports) can be done pier-side.

Many cruisers want to board the ship as early as possible so that they can start drinking or relaxing or whatever.  For them, it is best to do the on-line check-in as early/soon as possible so they can get an early physical check-in time slot -- those can fill up, and you might end up with an 11:30 check-in time.  [Oh, how horrible!!]  Earlier check-in gets them "faster to the fun."  These are the people doing the on-line check-in at a few minutes after midnight on Day Minus 14.  

In my experience, getting the physical check-in done early just leaves me sitting in the waiting area longer and doesn't get me on-board any faster.  But sitting in the waiting area pier-side still means I am over the driving stress and the porters have my luggage!  Everything is good!  Except that it is hot, the seating is limited, there are no drinks or snacks, and I am still burdened with our carry-ons.  Whether my physical check-in time is 10:30 or noon, once I get to the pier, I want to board!

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Softservekid1 said:

When you do check in, can you pick your boarding time or is it assigned?

I will definitely check in through my browser on my laptop, Cell phones are pretty much useless.

You pick your boarding time from the ones still available.  The earliest times go first, thus why some people check in at midnight as soon as they're eligible.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Softservekid1 said:

No, you do not pick a boarding time. Nobody picks a boarding time.  You pick a "port arrival time", which is the time you need to arrive at the port to begin your physical check-in process. Once you go through the check-in, you will sit in a waiting area and wait until your boarding group is called. If you arrive later in the day, you likely won't have to wait and can board then. 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Softservekid1 said:

I will definitely check in through my browser on my laptop, Cell phones are pretty much useless.

Just once you print your boarding pass make sure you keep it after boarding the ship. The boarding pass shows your MUSTER station and act's as your account to purchase drinks until you get your Sail and Sign cards at your room.

What time does the on-line check-in start?  I've heard midnight on day minus 14, but what time zone?  I think I heard that it is midnight at the "local time" for the home port of the ship involved, but I'm not sure.  When I drive (five hours minimum), I have never reached the pier-side after parking and doing luggage before 11:30 a.m. or noon, so really early doesn't matter to me.  But I want my time slot to be any morning slot.  

On one thread on Cruise Critic, it was stated that if you are priority, you can ignore the arrival time slot and just show up early, but the FAQ on Carnival's website says "no," that you are still bound by your arrival time slot.  

19 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

What time does the on-line check-in start?  I've heard midnight on day minus 14, but what time zone?  I think I heard that it is midnight at the "local time" for the home port of the ship involved, but I'm not sure.  When I drive (five hours minimum), I have never reached the pier-side after parking and doing luggage before 11:30 a.m. or noon, so really early doesn't matter to me.  But I want my time slot to be any morning slot.  

On one thread on Cruise Critic, it was stated that if you are priority, you can ignore the arrival time slot and just show up early, but the FAQ on Carnival's website says "no," that you are still bound by your arrival time slot.  

Eastern time

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

It's hit or miss by port, ship, and sometimes even the same ship from sailing to sailing.  It may happen but don't count on it.

12 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

What time does the on-line check-in start?  I've heard midnight on day minus 14, but what time zone?  I think I heard that it is midnight at the "local time" for the home port of the ship involved, but I'm not sure.    

It used to be eastern time forever. However Carnival recently changed their check-in system. It's now midnight in the time zone in which the ship is departing from.

13 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Do not rely on what youve "heard" go to your booking page and you can "see" what time it starts.  Also FAQ's are correct but actual practice may vary from port to port.  Follow the FAQ's and you will be ok.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I tried at midnight Florida time, but it was not available.  I had to wait until midnight ship time (Central, as our port is Galveston).

33 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

Since my next cruise is Firenze, that might mean that my earliest check-in time is midnight Los Angeles time, or 3:00 a.m. Florida time. 

on my firenze sailing in early may, i checked in at 9pm pst.

13 hours ago, weezal said:

on my firenze sailing in early may, i checked in at 9pm pst.

In May they weren't having this (bug? changover?) where the check-in time is midnight departure port time. 

A few weeks back, it was a glitch that caused the opening of on-line check-in times to be based on the location of the departure city instead of universally based on EST.  At that time, Carnival said it was a glitch, and were working on fixing that bug to get it back to EST.  Carnival later announced it has now been fixed and back to EST.

Of course, announcements may be different than actuality.  Personal reports would be nice to confirm.

My suspicion is that Carnival was toying with programming to base check-in on local time, and someone accidently leaned against the lever that caused it to go live.

• Like 2