The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday June 29th, 2024

richwmn

Today is International Mud Day, World Camera Day, and World Scleroderma Day

I think I've discovered the secret of life - you just hang around until you get used to it. - Charles M. Schulz

Meal Suggestion for today - Best Chicken Tortilla Soup
Drink of the Day - Slippery Nipple
Wine of the Day - Lake Chelan Winery 2019 Malbec
Destination of the Day - Puerto Chacabuco, Chile

Today in History:
1613 Shakespeare's Globe Theatre in London, burns down during a performance of "Henry VIII"
1964 NBC approves Gene Roddenberry's script for pilot episode of "Star Trek" titled "The Cage"

Ship Locations

Eurodam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 15:00

Koningsdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 06-30

Nieuw Statendam

Copenhagen, Denmark 07:00 - 17:00

Noordam

At Sea Destination Whittier, Alaska eta 06-30

Oosterdam

Santorini, Greece 11:00 - 22:00

Rotterdam

Rotterdam, Netherlands South Holland 07:00 - 16:00

Volendam

Montreal, Quebec Canada 07:00 - 15:00

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Glacier Bay, Alaska eta 06-30

Zaandam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Zuiderdam

IJmuiden, Netherlands North Holland 07:00 - 15:00

0629World.thumb.png.db5a2abaa5d7c241c70e970ab185ef1c.png

• Like 16
  • Thanks 24

Slippery Nipple cocktialL

The slippery nipple is a layered cocktail shooter most commonly composed of Baileys Irish Cream and sambuca. When prepared properly, the ingredients remain in two distinct visible layers due to the relative densities of the ingredients. Wikipedia

Main alcohol: Irish cream, Sambuca
Ingredients:
 1/2 oz Baileys Irish Cream,
1/2 oz Sambuca

Preparation: Pour the Sambuca into a shot glass, then pour the Baileys on top so that the two liquids do not mix.
Served: Neat; undiluted and without ice
Standard garnish: Cherry
Drinkware: Shot glass

Screenshot 2024-06-29 at 6.17.01 AM.png

• Like 11
  • Thanks 25

Greetings from beautiful Port Charlotte.

77 and sunny this AM with a high of 93 with a chance of PM showers.

There is a possibility of Tropical Storm Beryl becoming a hurricane in a few days, right now it should track south of Cuba and hit the Yucatán in Mexico, all. I know is I can’t remember a hurricane this early in the season, tropical storm yes, a hurricane no. They say the Atlantic is 6 degrees warmer than normal because we had an El Niño winter.

I have no idea what Mud Day is about.

A funny quote.

I’ll pass on the meal.

We are off to breakfast in a few minutes, I’ll have my usual Western Omelette.

Have a great day and stay well.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Today’s Care List:

Kazu having foot pain

Cruzin Terri fatigued post Covid, right bicep muscle tear, steroid injection

StLouisCruisers’ twin’s arm injury

Passing of marshhawk’s longtime friend 6/25

Heat, Fires, flooding and Storms across the US

Citizens of Ukraine, Israel and Gaza, hostages still held

All Dailyites going through worries and stress, whether mentioned or not

From the Rotation:

Tana with chronic pulmonary issues, weakness

StLouisCruisers’ nephew Alex’s in-utero identical twins

Seasick Sailor’s friend Belinda with a fall and shoulder injury

Ottahand7’s DB with operated knee red and swollen

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome back to Rotterdam Suslor (Susan)!

Vict0riann doing well post-surgery

Mr. Boston’s house movers

Marshhawk’s big sales this week

The Daily Gardening Club posting wonderful flower pictures

All the contributors to the Fleet Report/Daily

Upcoming Cruises or At Sea:

Cruzn single (Westerdam to July 7) 28d Alaska Arctic Circle Solstice, tupper10 (Zuiderdam to July 20) 21d Viking Passage and StLouisCruisers (Zuiderdam to July 20) 42d Ultimate Viking Explorer & Passage

• Like 18
  • Thanks 19

Good morning friends!  It’s an unusually nice day in Ijmuiden, the Netherlands.  Temperature is 68, with high thin clouds but mostly sunny IMO.  Last evening just before 5 p.m. the Captain announced we were now sailing faster to Ijmuiden than we had been earlier due to a patient needing medical attention and that we would arrive by midnight.  Going back to Friday morning, the whole ship was awakened at 1 a.m. by an announcement that medical help was needed in cabin 7134.  And since we had moved our clocks forward an hour before bedtime Thursday night, my clock said 2 a.m.  The speaker into the room was a foot away from my head in the headboard so it was quite a rude awakening.  Anyway, we assume this same person was the one needing to get to medical care on land, so that is why we arrived so early last night to Ijmuiden.  I was still trying to get to sleep at midnight so am a little bleary eyed this morning.  Oh well.  Most of the ship’s passengers departed this morning and I believe we have 190 or so In Transit people like DH and me.  The Relatives are also on until Boston.  We run into them here and there, mostly at breakfast.  And that’s an update on life on Zuiderdam.

This just in.  A letter has been delivered to all the cabins even as some guests are still boarding, letting us know of changes in our upcoming itinerary due to ice conditions in southern Greenland.  Remember, we lost all three ports in Greenland this past 21 day segment.  Now they are removing Grundarfjordur, Iceland from July 7, removing Qaqortoq, Greenland from July 10, and removing Nanortalik, Greenland from July 11.  Instead we will sail around the ice flow and call further north in Greenland at the capital, Nuuk (Godthab) on July 10 from 8 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.  Rich @richwmn,you may want to go ahead and update your Daily fleet location for Zuiderdam now that we have this confirmation.

Thank you Rich @richwmn for the Fleet Report and Daily as well as the maps today.  I think I’ll pass on Mud Day but will celebrate cameras and recognize the difficulties of Scleroderma, a disfiguring and painful disease.  The quote is a true fact, the soup sounds great, no thanks to the cocktail or the wine today.  A very sad day in Globe Theater history, and an interesting fact about the first Star Trek script approval.  Thank you Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepard for your food and beverage reports today.

Prayers for all on the Daily Care list. Praying for improvement for all of you! Nancy @ottahand7 I hope your DB has gotten some medical attention for that knee. It sounds pretty bad!  Also sending prayers for my DB, and Alex’s baby boys.  And finally for those in Israel and Ukraine, the hostages still held and hopefully alive, and to our military members in the area.  Congrats to all celebrating special events and to all who are cruising.  And a big thanks to Vanessa @JazzyV for the lists today!

The port today is Puerto Chacabuco, Chile.  This was previously port of the day on June 14, 2021, Jan. 8, 2022 and July 12, 2023.  I don’t recall ever going to Puerto Chacabuco on our Chile cruises.  Here are the links for your convenience in retrieving your photos. 

Hoping all are enjoying their weekend.  Stay safe and keep well!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
Strange link happenings after posting
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 7

Good morning.  Thanks for the Report.

It's raining here, so Bertie did find some mud on our morning walk.  It's supposed to rain off and on for most of the day.  I like my camera.  Scleroderma is a terrible disease.

Good quote.

The meal sounds good, I'll pass on the drink but I'll try the wine.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers for all the celebrations.

It's a holiday weekend here in Canada.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 29

Thank you for today's daily reports.

3 interesting days and humourous quote.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

As promised I have a photo of my breakfast this morning at the beach where I went after taking Pauline to the hairdresser's.

I hope everyone is pain free and happy and y'all have a lovely day.

Screenshot_20240629_120343.jpg

IMG_20240629_094330.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 4

Thank you for today’s FR & D, Rich! A bit cloudy this morning, but it looks more like a marine layer.  After yesterday’s rains, the humidity seems low. We had some wild T-storms in the early afternoon. And then it rained from about 5:30 - 9:30 p.m.  I know our local reservoirs are rejoicing!

Vanessa, thank you for making sure we all know what is happening with each other. 

Gym, Bindi walks, chores - I don’t usually mention specific chores, but today is Bindi’s bed & blanket cleaning day. And the look on her face, when she sees me carrying her bedding out of our room is priceless. You know the look - the heart wrenching, pitiful, poor me look. You would think by now she would know they all get put back into her crate. And I will wrapping up the day at a friend’s for dinner. 

IMG_3073.jpeg.12493dafc79b9c84c862c48d61b233d5.jpeg

IMG_3075.jpeg.685c1be266f1a0641368372640b41c97.jpeg

IMG_3060.jpeg.2c613b3c2488aa54f6a9323cf50b5ab1.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Terry, have you ever had Eggplant Florentine? That is my favorite Italian food. I hope Tana enjoyed the EP last night. 
@ottahand7 Nancy, praying that your DB gets his knee looked at fast and gets treated. 

Cheers to everyone celebrating!

May we each find a reason to smile today. 

Lake Chelan Winery 2019 Malbec

About four hours East of Seattle lies Lake Chelan an amazing area that is home to about 30 wineries. Malbec not your thing? The area offers a host of different wines. This winery seems to be a destination on its own offering BBQ and gift stores. Though I might try a taste of this Malbec, I doubt I would pay $45.00 for a bottle. And that is the only price I found online - since only the vintner has it for sale. 

88 Wine Enthusiast

Hungry?This wine's aromatic set of blackcurrants, chocolate brownie batter and slices of blood orange is a meal unto itself. With a soft graceful mouthfeel, plush tannins and restrained acidity, it is easy to keep sipping to get at the wine's flavors of chocolate-covered cherries. 

• Like 20
  • Thanks 12
  • Haha 5

Happy Saturday!  We were in Puerto Chacabuco on the Oosterdam in February.  It is at the head of the Aisen fjord. Entering the harborIMG_9910.thumb.jpeg.8ffba3a1b4d16fb4bddbbabda98fb7d5.jpegHAL bus tour to park, taken to use HIA credits.  Next time, we’ll take a private tour.

IMG_9914.thumb.jpeg.0519ee95982cf2d74f2b5ef9185715dd.jpeg

IMG_9917.thumb.jpeg.e080ae8c1d66fd4cac9bc5197bbcb58c.jpeg

IMG_9919.thumb.jpeg.91a22ca67f40500664b958a1f042ad29.jpeg

IMG_9921.thumb.jpeg.bcc9b1e4ec6dfeae2e505800f3c57833.jpeg

IMG_9922.thumb.jpeg.76ac5fd7a371a823ec6862b7f6fe0309.jpeg

The path of our very easy hike on flat ground is shown on the map below. There were so many tour groups on the trail that we were “nose to tail” walking and we would have to step off the path to allow groups coming in the other direction to pass.  

IMG_9942.thumb.jpeg.3e33341bb1d0a0656b3ed133a3e11ca6.jpeg

Our final goal, the waterfall.

IMG_9939.thumb.jpeg.eef7017d21c47ea36da4ebff9f987893.jpeg

We then went to a private lodge for drinks, snacks and a dancing demonstration.IMG_9951.thumb.jpeg.798fa355bac915eb7edfd4c64c2c09a0.jpeg

Our South America & Antarctica cruise on the Oosterdam was the best cruise we have ever taken.  I highly recommend it to anyone trying to decide where their next cruise will take them.

Positive thoughts to those who need them.  Cheers to those celebrating.

Edited by 0106
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 10
  • Haha 1

Good morning everyone!  Thanks for the Daily and map @richwmn.  We definitely recognize mud day as the truck is covered with mud from our drive to and from town after 36 hours of rain.  It seems everyone is at their river camps for the holiday week and it was definitely soupier and slicker than normal yesterday.    Scleroderma is an autoimmune disease that can affect the skin and the internal organs.  Isn't it wonderful to have a video and camera with us all the time with our cell phones.  I have been  to Puerto Chacabuco. Chile in January 2023.  

I love Tortilla Soup as a started but haven't had it in a long time, always minus the avocado.    Pass on the cocktail and I think the wine,  $45 and 88 points, too many good value wines out there, one could get 3 $15 wines with that rating.  Thanks for researching these for us each day.  

Thanks for the Cares and Celebrations reports @JazzyV.   Thanks for the mention for my DB, he could use some prayers for the ordeal he has been going through since September 2023.   Prayers for Tana, Chuck, Jacqui and Terri and everyone else who is ailing or grieving.   Prayers for all in war zones through no fault of their own, Ukraine, the remaining hostages and the innocents in Gaza.  Prayers for the family of another lost law enforcement officer in rural Michigan shot and killed.  

It is a beautiful day here this morning but possible rain in the forecast.  I will try to get a load of wash dry on the line before it possibly happens.  I will stack firewood today, we had a cherry tree blow down in a windstorm and we cut it up on Thursday.   Tacos for dinner here tonight a rare treat for dinner.  Have a lovely Saturday.  

• Like 32

Good cool and cloudy morning.Thunderstorms are forecast for this afternoon and evening and again tomorrow. 
The fur babies are enjoying the cool weather and have been busy playing hockey with the box of blueberries. They managed to paw one out of the box and paw it around the table. So much fun. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our journey.

• Like 31

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Slippery Nipple cocktialL

The slippery nipple is a layered cocktail shooter most commonly composed of Baileys Irish Cream and sambuca. When prepared properly, the ingredients remain in two distinct visible layers due to the relative densities of the ingredients. Wikipedia

Main alcohol: Irish cream, Sambuca
Ingredients:
 1/2 oz Baileys Irish Cream,
1/2 oz Sambuca

Preparation: Pour the Sambuca into a shot glass, then pour the Baileys on top so that the two liquids do not mix.
Served: Neat; undiluted and without ice
Standard garnish: Cherry
Drinkware: Shot glass

Screenshot 2024-06-29 at 6.17.01 AM.png

I heard this drink sucks! 🙀

• Like 5
  • Haha 13

52 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for today's daily reports.

3 interesting days and humourous quote.

I will give today's food and drink a miss.

As promised I have a photo of my breakfast this morning at the beach where I went after taking Pauline to the hairdresser's.

I hope everyone is pain free and happy and y'all have a lovely day.

Screenshot_20240629_120343.jpg

IMG_20240629_094330.jpg

👍👍👍

• Like 17

Good morning. It is cloudy and 68 going up to 80. The humidity is back. Sorry, no celebration of mud here. Scleroderma is a really challenging disease with many complications. I have not been to the port and would love the soup. I have enjoyed Star Trek and all the various movies and television series for many years now.

@ottahand7, Nancy, I am so sorry to read of your DB’s ongoing issues with his infected knee. I hope the rehab facility is on top of it. It has to be hard to be so far away and get reports from the family.

@Nickelpenny, Pennie, I was so sorry to read about your surgical site opening. I hope things are a little better each day. It is so hard for very active people to do less.Hang in there!

I am contemplating dinner ideas.The teenagers work on Friday and Saturday nights at one of the bigger restaurants nearby so we have a smaller group to feed. So far I am uninspired and will try to find a recipe for something different that everyone will enjoy. Tana is not really eating much but she still tries valiantly.

• Like 29
  • Thanks 6

We visited Puerto Chacabuco on January 25, 2023 on the Volendam.  I took a HA shore excursion to go horseback riding in the Aysen District.  It was threatening rain but we mainly dodged it, my packable Amazon rain coat kept my dry for the rain drops.  I had a naughty horse that always was trying to grab grass.  I have stopped telling guides that I have had a lot of riding experience because it seems I get naughty ones.  After our ride we were treated to wine and tapas in front of a cozy fire. I would do it again.  

IMG_20230125_141313761_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230125_142424557_HDR.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_20230125_082003483_HDR.jpg

image.jpg

IMG_20230125_141240063_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230125_145707702_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230125_140412250.jpg

IMG_20230125_210411184_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230125_142014383.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 9

Happy Saturday. Thanks for the Daily and Fleet reports. 

Hi in the 80s today and partly cloudy. Supposedly we should get some rain here and there this weekend, but I am not holding my breath. Keeping my eyes on the outdoor plants to help them survive. Grocery shopping and then a Zoom call with a friend. My back is a bit soar today, so I intend to rest. My massage yesterday got cancelled and rescheduled for next Friday. Oh well. 

Thinking of all on the care list. 

Celebrating with all who are celebrating. 

Have a safe and healthy day. 

12 The Cat's of Saturday ideas | cats, saturday, happy saturday

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for our Saturday Daily, Rich & thanks to Vanessa, Debbie, Ann & Dixie for their ongoing dedication.

Mud day is a day early here.  We get our deluge tomorrow.  Hopefully none today.  I like the Schultz quote but I’m partial to a lot of his quotes.  DD DH loved tortilla soup.  Huge Star Trek fan here and the genius of Gene Roddenberry..

IMG_0861.jpeg.ee71132c70d38966ddf41e07d146cf35.jpeg

Had a nice visit with my widower friend (Jose’s BFF) yesterday.  He told me when they moved  from their house they had three trucks - one for the move to the apartment, one for the dump and one with antiques to sell.  YIKES.  My way might take longer but at least I am not filling the land fill  unless it is not worthy of gifting,

IMG_0250.jpeg.e1b959e5636c41ab76fb0993baae5fe7.jpeg

Hopefully my legs will co-operate today and let me get more boxes on the porch.  there’s just too many to do in one day for my painful legs and feet.

IMG_0246.thumb.jpeg.e41e78c53c19c5a9120540b9a84b6b28.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list, those suffering losses, grief, pain, health problems, worries & those that need them. 🙏. Cheers to those celebrating and cruising 🥂

IMG_0252.jpeg.a175c81327e4032dc56ed50d3dd8cac3.jpeg

• Like 33
  • Haha 4

Good morning, everyone!

It is an overcast start to the day here in mid-Michigan, but promises to be warmer than  yesterday.  Hopefully we'll get some sun later today.  It looks like the rain is going south of us and we'll stay dry.  That is good for a trip to the Farmer's Market this morning.  We're running low on vegetables.  We usually combine that with a trip to Jack's to get meat and fish.  

I had a nice time out at my DN Kourtney's last night for her son's birthday.  Sue stayed home with a migraine.  It is better this morning.  Hopefully it goes away as this is day 3 for her.  Imitrex is taking the sting out of it, but not getting rid of the headache completely.  Anyways, it was fun at Kourt's and we're invited back for the 4th of July.  

@StLouisCruisers Sorry to hear about all the changes in itinerary, but that happens.  Its a good thing you were there last year.  I would be sad over the loss of Grundarfjordur.  Sue and I really liked that port and the excursion we did.  

@cat shepard Thank you for the suggestion for eggplant florentine.  I would really like that as I love eggplant parmesan.  Sue won't eat eggplant, so I get it all to myself!

Today's meal sounds really tasty for a cool day.  I'm saving this recipe.  Chicken Tortilla Soup

chickentortillasoup1.thumb.jpg.ac35408cabe026e8bda432e9504f64d0.jpg

Here's the slow cooker variation from Ree Drummond.  Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup

chickentortillasoup3.thumb.jpg.835997ce328df97db020a86b37581ad1.jpg

The last two recipes were for a brothy soup.  This one is for a creamy chicken tortilla soup.  Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup

chickentortillasoup4.thumb.jpg.22f0e95225dec30883048ba647d275a1.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 13