Need help deciding between Celebrity Summit and RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas - slightly different itineraries

2011mom

I'm planning a southern Caribbean cruise for December, and it's down to 2 choices: Celebrity Summit and RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas. I'm looking to not spend a lot, so oceanview rooms.

From what I've read, the Summit is the better ship all around. And, it's considerably less expensive for an OV cabin than the Rhapsody.  But, the itineraries are a little different. They both leave from San Juan and visit St Maarten and Bridgetown.  The Summit also goes to St John/Antigua, St Lucia, and Dominica. The Rhapsody goes to St Croix, St Thomas, and St Kitts.

I love snorkeling, hiking, outdoor activities. Which cruise should I pick? And, any cabin recommendations for OV cabins? I'm posting this in both Celebrity and RCCL forums. Thanks in advance!

Summit is a somewhat newer ship although not that much. It has been revolutionized. I have been on Summit 7 times. I don’t know much about Rhapsody. I like the Summit itinerary because it has St. Lucia but really the itinerary’s are not greatly one better than the other. If the cabin is less expensive on Summit then to me Summit is a no brainer to me because the food is better than RCI. So newer updated ship, better food, less expensive and St Lucia…..

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, 2011mom said:

I'm planning a southern Caribbean cruise for December, and it's down to 2 choices: Celebrity Summit and RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas. I'm looking to not spend a lot, so oceanview rooms.

From what I've read, the Summit is the better ship all around. And, it's considerably less expensive for an OV cabin than the Rhapsody.  But, the itineraries are a little different. They both leave from San Juan and visit St Maarten and Bridgetown.  The Summit also goes to St John/Antigua, St Lucia, and Dominica. The Rhapsody goes to St Croix, St Thomas, and St Kitts.

I love snorkeling, hiking, outdoor activities. Which cruise should I pick? And, any cabin recommendations for OV cabins? I'm posting this in both Celebrity and RCCL forums. Thanks in advance!

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

Rhapsody in Blue- Goes to St Thomas  then you can easily go to the island of St John which is wonderful. 

You can go to St.John but I wouldn’t use the word easily. It takes time and a boat ride which take time. I have done it. There are some wonderful beaches on St Thomas and you can spend more time on them. 

Edited by Charles4515

Rhapsody does the route with Barbados, St Lucia, Antigua etc also, you may just have to look at a different sail date. The southern routes that include St Lucia and Barbados are my favorite because those islands give you beaches and scenery that are more lush and water that is more clear than you'll get in some of the more typical eastern/western ports.

The southern route is my favorite but I've avoided it lately because I don't think the rhapsody is worth the money they're charging, especially when you factor in the flights to San Juan. I loved it when they were putting voyager and freedom class ships there. 

If you like hiking, St Kitts has the Mt Liamuiga hike, and in St Lucia you can hike the Pitons. You can also hike El Yunque forest in San Juan. No hiking to be done in the other spots you mentioned. you can go to St Thomas and St Maarten on any ship sailing the eastern route. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler

7 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Rhapsody does the route with Barbados, St Lucia, Antigua etc also, you may just have to look at a different sail date. The southern routes that include St Lucia and Barbados are my favorite because those islands give you beaches and scenery that are more lush and water that is more clear than you'll get in some of the more typical eastern/western ports.

The southern route is my favorite but I've avoided it lately because I don't think the rhapsody is worth the money they're charging, especially when you factor in the flights to San Juan. I loved it when they were putting voyager and freedom class ships there. 

If you like hiking, St Kitts has the Mt Liamuiga hike, and in St Lucia you can hike the Pitons. You can also hike El Yunque forest in San Juan. No hiking to be done in the other spots you mentioned. you can go to St Thomas and St Maarten on any ship sailing the eastern route. 

Yeah, I think I prefer the itinerary for the Rhapsody. But, the Celebrity is so much less expensive - about $400 cheaper! And it seems like a nicer ship all around. Arggh, it's a hard decision!

• Like 1

@2011mom My DH and I sailed on the Summit last June.

We found the staff to be welcoming and very accommodating. In fact, we thought the staff made the cruise most enjoyable.

The ship has been refurbished very nicely.

For two women in their 60s, I would choose the Summit. This is the perspective of a seventy something woman.

MJ🙋🏻‍♀️

• Like 2

I give an edge on ships to summit which we sailed this and last year . Prefer ports on rccl you can do an excursion to St John in Virgin Islands which has a fantastic beach “trunk bay” which has a snorkeling trail . I would save the 400 and use it to go to a specialty restaurant on summit .

• Like 1