Hurricane Beryl will affect Western Caribbean Cruises will your itinerary be affected?

3 minutes ago, Kaitlin95 said:

Yes that is what I’m afraid of, this hurricane taking out all those ports! Not sure where we will go if that happens. How do you reply directly to a comment? Is it the quote button? 

There is no rule of thumb in terms of how long to takes to return.  It is totally dependent on what damage is caused.  You will know when the storm passes fairly quickly.

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Ray4Fun said:

Horizon will miss Jamaica. 

Never mind.  

Edited by dmet0225
reading comprehension issues on my part

15 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Hurricane season runs to November

Peak month is September so this one is pretty rare.  We always cruise in October or November and have never had any hurricanes,  only one tropical storm that we went around.  

Hopefully the weather experts are wrong about this year, we got hit hard 2 years ago and it wasn't even a cat 1 

2 hours ago, jstcruizin said:

Peak month is September so this one is pretty rare.  We always cruise in October or November and have never had any hurricanes,  only one tropical storm that we went around.  

Hopefully the weather experts are wrong about this year, we got hit hard 2 years ago and it wasn't even a cat 1 

It sure is not normal, but I am not sure what normal is anymore.  I live in Ft Myers, we were hit by Ian 09/28/24, and not even close to back.  

17 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

It sure is not normal, but I am not sure what normal is anymore.  I live in Ft Myers, we were hit by Ian 09/28/24, and not even close to back.  

Us too but it was a strong tropical storm,  our condo survived but the storm surge wiped everything in front out, seawall,  pool, pool house all swept away. They are still not done here either. 

1 hour ago, jstcruizin said:

Us too but it was a strong tropical storm,  our condo survived but the storm surge wiped everything in front out, seawall,  pool, pool house all swept away. They are still not done here either. 

I meant 09/28/22

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was a young lad on September 10, 1960 when Hurricane Donna wiped out our beach home on Ft Myers Beach.  The lesson, if you live on the beach, don't become attached to your possessions, because mother nature can be a cruel house cleaning service.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

I just read on weather.com this is the earliest cat 5 on record.

Yup, it was also the earliest category 4 on record for June. Breaking a lot of records, it appears due to how warm the ocean is for June/July. Perfect ammunition for a rapidly intensifying storm.

But it has weakened some to a strong cat 4 again as of now, and is expected to weaken further at least.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bill Miller said:

I was a young lad on September 10, 1960 when Hurricane Donna wiped out our beach home on Ft Myers Beach.  The lesson, if you live on the beach, don't become attached to your possessions, because mother nature can be a cruel house cleaning service.

I have a new perspective on closeness to the beach,

1 minute ago, bg2310 said:

Yup, it was also the earliest category 4 on record for June. Breaking a lot of records, it appears due to how warm the ocean is for June/July. Perfect ammunition for a rapidly intensifying storm.

But it has weakened some to a strong cat 4 again as of now, and is expected to weaken further at least.

Jamaica is in trouble.  They have been there many times before, and it is losing some strength, but not a good scenario.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

I have a new perspective on closeness to the beach,

We have lived in SW florida for over 25 years. Started out living on the beach, then on the River and the last 2 moves have been much more inland. Its the water that scares me the most.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, luvflorida said:

We have lived in SW florida for over 25 years. Started out living on the beach, then on the River and the last 2 moves have been much more inland. Its the water that scares me the most.

As it should, by far our complex, the water was the vast majority of the damage.

It will be interesting how this hurricane and the one following it affects future cruise itineraries due to cruise port damage. It appears several cruise ports could receive significant damage. I do not expect damage to be repaired quickly. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ledges1 said:

It will be interesting how this hurricane and the one following it affects future cruise itineraries due to cruise port damage. It appears several cruise ports could receive significant damage. I do not expect damage to be repaired quickly. 

There is not a chance in hades that significant damage gets fixed quickly.  Infrastructure repairs (piers, waterfront area, and excursion companies and their needs) take months.  All of this is premature, Grenada and the Grenadines had glancing blows and had significant damage, the next test will be Jamaica, but I fear most for the Yucatan peninsula, Cozumel and Rivera Maya area the most.  Hopefully unfounded....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Noledad77 said:

We leave on the 14th for Cozumel. Hoping for the best but preparing for an itinerary change. Maybe I'll get my excursion money back out of all of this.

Let's hope for the best.  We cruised into Cozumel the day before Wilma and 6 months later (tender only) after.  The devastation was heart breaking.  We have cruised to St Maarten after a hurricane (two actually) and San Juan, sometimes mother nature is relentless. Prayers and safe wishes for the entire area.

• Like 2