Meghan Trainor godmother of Utopia

This summer’s hottest collab has entered the chat: Meghan Trainor  x Utopia of the Seas. 🔥 As Godmother, Meghan brings all the vibes to welcome our newest weekend getaway to Port Canaveral with an exclusive performance on board.

Want to witness it live on The World’s Biggest Weekend? Follow us on Instagram to enter for your chance to win a Utopia of the Seas getaway so you and your bestie can see Meghan take the stage on our preview sailing. 🔗 instagram.com/royalcaribbean

37 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

All about that new cruiser booze cruise customer base!

I see what you did there.

As much as that would definitely not be MY choice, given how the ship is marketed, it makes sense.

14 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

I see what you did there.

As much as that would definitely not be MY choice, given how the ship is marketed, it makes sense.

Royal is definitely after a whole different customer cruise demographic than the traditional model I would identify with. If this is what Royals future looks like....count me GONE !

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, dadatsea said:

Royal is definitely after a whole different customer cruise demographic than the traditional model I would identify with. If this is what Royals future looks like....count me GONE !

I usually look forward to booking a cruise on the newest Royal ship, but not this time.  No interest in a short cruise to nowhere with a party crowd.  RCI is literally wasting their newest asset on a potential customer demographic who may or may not ever return again, rather than serving their long time loyal customers.  Makes no sense to me.

• Like 8

Just now, dadatsea said:

Whether people decide to leave RC or not it’s a well signalled sign of their core market. I think Messi was “godfather” for Icon. 

I know this is a risky statement but maybe the age profile of CC is higher (perhaps a lot higher) than general cruise population. A lot of people here talk about having cruised on the older ships. I’m not familiar with them but Sovereign of the Seas was launched almost 40 years ago. 

• Like 1

ok,  I probably will be in the minority😁 but  want to give my support to the 20 to 30 age group.  I live and travel alone, family and friends are scattered and old. I am 80 and still love to travel and its kind of fun to watch all the young people on board. Have been very lucky on my past cruisers,  use a walker and most young people always defer to me and ask if I need any help,  including the Windjammer. Have also listened to Meghan Trainor music.☺️

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

It is possible to do two things at once...

Trying to attract a younger demographic while at the same time continuing to service their existing client base is not an impossible task.  Thankfully Royal has more than one ship.  If Utopia is not for you... Radiance or Vision might be perfect.  

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 4

We are currently booked on Serenade b2b2b 19 days and expect a calm traditional cruise experience. We will NEVER book a New Royal booze cruise mega ship. We are over half way to  Pinnacle enjoying the smaller 

Adult age cruises with out roller coasters and kids.

32 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

I usually look forward to booking a cruise on the newest Royal ship, but not this time.  No interest in a short cruise to nowhere with a party crowd.  RCI is literally wasting their newest asset on a potential customer demographic who may or may not ever return again, rather than serving their long time loyal customers.  Makes no sense to me.

I think the complete opposite, RCI knows exactly what they are doing using Utopia for short cruises (and Wonder will be doing short cruises soon out of Miami). Every one of these cruises will go to Coco Cay, which is a huge revenue producer for RCI. RCI keeps using bigger and bigger ships (Voyager class to Freedom class to Oasis class) doing short cruises out of Florida. These cruises have always sold out in the past and will likely continue to sellout in the future. For RCI to continue to be successful in the future they need to continue to attract younger passengers. Using Utopia and Wonder for 3/4 days cruises out of Florida is a great strategy in my opinion. I don’t see how this impacts long time loyal customers. If you don’t like short cruises, don’t go on them. RCI literally has over two dozen other ships that give you plenty of options when it comes to cruising on RCI. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I think the complete opposite, RCI knows exactly what they are doing using Utopia for short cruises (and Wonder will be doing short cruises soon out of Miami). Every one of these cruises will go to Coco Cay, which is a huge revenue producer for RCI. RCI keeps using bigger and bigger ships (Voyager class to Freedom class to Oasis class) doing short cruises out of Florida. These cruises have always sold out in the past and will likely continue to sellout in the future. For RCI to continue to be successful in the future they need to continue to attract younger passengers. Using Utopia and Wonder for 3/4 days cruises out of Florida is a great strategy in my opinion. I don’t see how this impacts long time loyal customers. If you don’t like short cruises, don’t go on them. RCI literally has over two dozen other ships that give you plenty of options when it comes to cruising on RCI. 

You are spot on as the newer cash cows are really much more profitable for Royal. I feel blessed to have sailed in the early 90's in a different era of cruising. Our 1st cruise was on The Norway and that cruise set a high mark never topped experience.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Just to add to this, somewhere between 65% and 85% of the American public has never taken a cruise.  That is a huge market.  Younger families now are also taking their kids on vacations with them unlike 4o yeas ago when in a lot of cases the kids stayed home.  Young travellers today also want the newest and best but don't have the time for week long vacations.

I can remember all the naysayers when Royal added the bigger ships starting with the EX class and then bumping it up to FR and ultimately OA saying there is no way they would fill those ships  yet here we are.

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

For RCI to continue to be successful in the future they need to continue to attract younger passengers. Using Utopia and Wonder for 3/4 days cruises out of Florida is a great strategy in my opinion. I don’t see how this impacts long time loyal customers. If you don’t like short cruises, don’t go on them. RCI literally has over two dozen other ships that give you plenty of options when it comes to cruising on RCI. 

The business model is sound but it leaves out customer satisfaction. With this model there is no place for the loyal cruisers who want to sail on a newer ship with lots of dining choices, on a 10 -12 day sailing to interesting places. 

• Like 2

Just because RCCL is choosing to put Utopia into service on these shorter cruises doesn't mean the ship can never be used for any other type of sailing ever.  RCCL is taking a risk, it is a calculated risk no doubt but a risk nonetheless.  If you go by the number of people on here that 'will never cruise RCCL again' because they had to walk 3 more feet to get sugar at the buffet or some other perceived wrong doing RCCL would sail empty most of the time right?  

I get what they are trying to do with Utopia and I actually think it is a wise plan.  Is it for everyone?  No, but then again Utopia isn't the only vessel they have is it?  If given the chance we will sail Utopia and in fact I'd wage even money that in the next 2 years or so we will.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Billy Baltic said:

The business model is sound but it leaves out customer satisfaction. With this model there is no place for the loyal cruisers who want to sail on a newer ship with lots of dining choices, on a 10 -12 day sailing to interesting places. 

I don’t understand your comment about leaving out customer satisfaction. In any business, if your customers aren’t happy, you are not going to be in business for very long. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that customer satisfaction is extremely high with RCI. Not only is RCI continuing to sellout pretty much every cruise, people are paying higher fares these days to go on RCI cruises. If RCI isn’t meeting your specific needs, there are plenty of other cruise lines in the industry. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, dadatsea said:

We are currently booked on Serenade b2b2b 19 days and expect a calm traditional cruise experience. We will NEVER book a New Royal booze cruise mega ship. We are over half way to  Pinnacle enjoying the smaller 

Adult age cruises with out roller coasters and kids.

And I’d be bored to death & missing food options from Oasis class on Serenade despite being in my 40’s without kids. This is why they have different ships & itineraries. I always sail with tons of kids & they don’t bother me in the least (I’m more likely to bothered by adults, tbh).

We’re looking forward to our Utopia B2B’s. Different strokes…

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, edrussell said:

Just because RCCL is choosing to put Utopia into service on these shorter cruises doesn't mean the ship can never be used for any other type of sailing ever.  RCCL is taking a risk, it is a calculated risk no doubt but a risk nonetheless.  If you go by the number of people on here that 'will never cruise RCCL again' because they had to walk 3 more feet to get sugar at the buffet or some other perceived wrong doing RCCL would sail empty most of the time right?  

I get what they are trying to do with Utopia and I actually think it is a wise plan.  Is it for everyone?  No, but then again Utopia isn't the only vessel they have is it?  If given the chance we will sail Utopia and in fact I'd wage even money that in the next 2 years or so we will.

I don’t think RCI is taking a risk at all. This is more along the lines of RCI changing to meet the current market related to shorter cruises. Allure has been doing 3/4 cruises for several months now with great success. Utopia is simply replacing Allure doing short cruises out of Port Canaveral (no risk at all there). Even Celebrity is getting into the short cruise market with Reflection doing 3/4 days cruises out of Port Everglades.  

7 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don’t understand your comment about leaving out customer satisfaction. In any business, if your customers aren’t happy, you are not going to be in business for very long. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that customer satisfaction is extremely high with RCI. Not only is RCI continuing to sellout pretty much every cruise, people are paying higher fares these days to go on RCI cruises. If RCI isn’t meeting your specific needs, there are plenty of other cruise lines in the industry. 

Take a scroll through the future deployment threads. IMO Not many satisfied customers there. More so people looking a sign of things getting better. 

• Like 1